“Please read!!! May 2012” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Aspens on Blackcomb

You added Aspens on Blackcomb to your Saves list
Aspens on Blackcomb
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4800 Spearhead Drive, Whistler, British Columbia V0N 1B4, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Whistler
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Please read!!! May 2012”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Our Groupon Nightmare,
Very long story but,
I was required to pay an additional 14% fee above and beyond my Groupon purchase when reserving a date. To make matters worse, I had only one choice of weekend available.
We arrived at 11:20 pm to check in. The complex was overly quiet and looked abandoned as if nobody was staying there.
Desk person "Colin" informed us that only one room was available for us even though our confirmation was for a different, much more desirable room (201).
We journeyed up to room 336 (back of the building) and was surprised to be greeted by a room that stunk of smoke the moment that we opened the door. After less than a minute my date was congested due to her smoke allergy and therefore we ventured back down to the front desk.
Once there, Colin, again reinforced to us that "this is all that we have for you..."
After a few minutes of us politely asking to speak to a manager he mysteriously was able to locate another vacant room. This was room 129.
We arrived in room 129, which was the last room at the end of the complex. Very cold and not at all inviting. No sooner did we close the door we were alarmed by the disturbing noise of the underground parkade security door opening directly below us. The only thing that I have heard that parallels this sound is sitting directly above the landing gear in an airplane when it is being activated.
Rather than call down, we made another trip down to Colin at the front desk.
Again, he insisted this time, " this is the only room left this weekend, you better take it. "
We looked at the time realizing that it was now 12:15 am (55 minutes) after first arriving.
Again, I politely asked to speak to a manager. At this stage, Colin phones "David" who echoed the same message as we had been told before. " This is the only room left this weekend, you better take it... "
Upon further discussion of wanting our money back, David asked to speak to Colin on the phone.
As they were speaking on the phone, my date pointed out to me a mouse running on the floor behind the front desk counter. I pointed this out to Colin, who proceeded to deny the obvious mouse that was there.
I again asked to be reimbursed for the cost of my prepaid stay and was denied.
All of a sudden, Colin announces that he found another room. Room 214.
We go up to room 214 and find red ants on the floor in the kitchen. I immediately walk into the bedroom and draw the sheets back to find 3 red ants running to safety in the bed sheets.
It is now 12:55 am (95 minutes after arriving) and we still do not have a room to stay in for the weekend.
When we arrive back down at the front desk Colin is waiting with the phone and immediately gives me the phone to speak with David.
I explain to him that we are very dissatisfied with the appalling service, completely inappropriate and unhygienic property and demand a full refund.
David then comes back to me with an offer to upgrade into a 2 bedroom unit for $ 171 more because our "Groupon" deal was not enough.
In the end, exhausted and frustrated, we left the complex early the next morning as we had no other option at 1:20 am but to stay for the night. (2 hours after we arrived)
I left the whole experience completely embarrassed in front of my date, utterly lied to by both of the resorts staff and completely soured by the whole experience. To make matters worse, we were now forced to find and pay for another accommodation for our stay as they refused our request to refund our money.
My recommendation is that Groupon “black list” this vendor. I recommend this due to the very poor level of service and unacceptable offering for the product.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else....
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
RQWManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your lengly review, it is sadens us to hear that your expectations were not met, we do try to pride ourselves on exceeding our guests experiences.

ResortQuest sincerely apologies that you felt the rooms that you were given we're not to your satisfaction, we however are a property management company and in turn all our units are privately owned, this can cause a problem with our guest as all our units are not the same style or decor. Some owners choose to invest in their unit and some don't, but Unfortunatly as we do not own the units we can't not make that desicion.
I can assure you that if we were not fully booked, we would have done everything in our power to accommodate you in the best room we could find, we do however try to be fair to our guests and our owners and work on a first come, first served rotaion basis of our units. Along with most of Whistler The Aspens is a fragmented building and in turn we do not manage all of the units, so it may not look full, but it is for us and the units we manage.

With regards to the 14% you were asked to pay on top of your groupon price,, that Unfortunatly is pretty standard with any service that you buy on groupn, but I do understand that it still may be frustrating.
ResortQuest do hope that you will some day come back and enjoy Whistler, even if it is not with us.

ResortQuest Whistler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

My husband and I went 10+ years ago, and the accommodations were quite nice then. Now we visited Whistler as a family and it doesn't stand out like it did. It is still a decent place to stay, if you are not looking for much extra and you know your way around, but otherwise, keep expectations low. Would only stay again, if we can get a deal (eg. <$90/night).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
RQWManagement, Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for your review, it is sad to hear that your expectations were not met on your stay this time around, ResortQuest Whistler do however hope that you come back one day and fall in love with Whister again.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

We were thoroughly disappointed. Right from check-in and onwards we were shocked at how rude the staff was. I thought this was a tourist destination, high on hospitality, we experienced none of it. We will not go back. It was our first time to Whistler and we have told everyone how much of a let-down it was. Nothing was easy, many trips to reception, which could have been avoided if the staff was just the slightlest bit friendly or helpful. Made very clear from the start that they did not want to answer any of our questions and that the policy was "less is best". One example: there was only one plate and two cups, when we went back to the reception desk to inquire about this, we were told "look in the dishwasher". When I first enter the suite on my "trip away".. I don't think I should have to empty the dishwasher! Food still left in the fridge and it carried on from there...

Room Tip: Don't go to whistler, service was horrible no matter where we went. I get the feeling that too...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, when I read this I was horrified by the lack of customer service you not only revied from us but other places in Whistler.
Whistler does pride itself on good customer service and although that can be hard sometimes with the amount of transient staff, it is still not acceptable.

I have certainly looked in to the way that our staff delt with your stay, all ResortQuest can do is apologize, feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns

Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great location! Ski-in/out was wonderful. We stopped at the condo during the day to shed layers and grab food. Easy walk to the village. Complex seemed clean. Decent furnishings. Not high-end but good for the price.

However, our experience with the front desk staff was bad. We were 2 adult couples checking into a 2 bedroom unit w/ kitchen. When we got to our room we discovered that one of the rooms had 2 twin beds. We tried to push them together but there was still a several inch gap between the mattresses. We called the front desk staff and were told that all the rooms were like that… maybe… she wasn’t sure. She’d have to talk to her manager and call us back. We didn’t want to unpack in case we were switching rooms so we just sat around. We were waiting to head to dinner and starving. After a half hour we called her again. She still didn’t know if we could switch rooms. We asked if someone could come to join the beds together. She said “No probably not tonight. I’ll see if I can get manager approval for that tomorrow.” What?? Seriously?! We ended up having to sleep in separate beds - a huge disappointment when we were on a romantic weekend getaway. The next morning we went to the front desk. No request had even been made to join the beds together. Thankfully the gal at the desk this time was helpful and said she’d get it taken care of right away.

The other issue is that our room was about 80 degrees! We had no heat on and had to sleep with the windows open to avoid sweating to death. This meant that when the delivery trucks pulled up at 7am it was loud! No sleeping in at all. So much for relaxing vacation. This was only April - I can’t imagine staying here in the summer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for thaking the time to write this review.
On behalf of myself and the staff at The Aspens we do apologize for the lack of service you recieved, this situation has been looked in to and delt with accordingly.

With regards to no air conditioning, unfortunatly non of the rooms at The Aspens have air conditioning. We do suggest opening the windows and pato doors, there is also fan in each room.
Again our apologies on the service you recieved, but we do hope that you enjoyed Whistler.

belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Our family stayed in The Aspens on Blackcomb from 26th March for 10 days. This was our 3rd visit to the Aspens. Previous visits the condos were managed by Intrawest but have since been taken over by Resortquest. We found the staff on the front desk extremely unhelpful during our visit unlike our previous visits. No matter what we asked it appeared that we were interupting them from something more important. We had a 2 bed condo which was adequate but not up to the standard we have previously experienced. The only member of the staff who had any time for us was the maintenance manager, he is English and has lived in Canada a long time.
The morning we were leaving for the airport my son cut his toe and we asked the reception for a plaster, we were told they didnt have any!! Do they have health and safety rules in Canada, no First Aid box, quite worrying! Such a shame as the Aspens is in a perfect location for a ski holiday. Dont think I could recommend this accommodation again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, myself and the rest of the staff at The Aspens cannot apologize enough for the service that you received during your stay.
Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss this further.
Again my sincere apologies
ResortQuest Whistler would however like to thank you so much for your custom.
guest service Manager
esanderson@resortquestwhistler.com
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed at the aspens for 10 days on a skiing trip as a group of 3 (young males) was spot on couldnt fault the hotel or location-right on the slopes at bottom of main lift up to Blackcombe mountain (wizard express) and about a 10 min walk down to whistler town . Rooms were clean, kitchen well equipped with dishwasher and all the right pots and pans etc. maids visited every 4 days and left plenty of towels had a tidy up. ski valet service which was great but no drying room? We managed by putting our gear on chairs next to the fire in the room.
Staff all pleasant happy to help.
Hot tub area great 3 to choose from and a large swimming pool all nice to relax in after a hard day on the slopes. towels available from reception free too!
Would recommend and stay again if I go back! Well done the aspens

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for such a positive review and on behalf of ResortQuest Whistler we thank you.
We truly hope that you will come back and visit us again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

The Aspens is located at the base of Blackhome. At the end of a long day of skiing the jets in their hottub were amazing. The room was clean, spacious and everything worked. We were not interested in nightlife, so this location was perfect. It was very quiet.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.
On behalf of ResortQuest Whistler we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay.
Please come back again soon.

ResortQuest Whistler

Been to Aspens on Blackcomb? Share your experiences!