“Need to work on customer service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Aspens on Blackcomb

You added Aspens on Blackcomb to your Saves list
Aspens on Blackcomb
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4800 Spearhead Drive, Whistler, British Columbia V0N 1B4, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Whistler
Seattle, WA
“Need to work on customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great location! Ski-in/out was wonderful. We stopped at the condo during the day to shed layers and grab food. Easy walk to the village. Complex seemed clean. Decent furnishings. Not high-end but good for the price.

However, our experience with the front desk staff was bad. We were 2 adult couples checking into a 2 bedroom unit w/ kitchen. When we got to our room we discovered that one of the rooms had 2 twin beds. We tried to push them together but there was still a several inch gap between the mattresses. We called the front desk staff and were told that all the rooms were like that… maybe… she wasn’t sure. She’d have to talk to her manager and call us back. We didn’t want to unpack in case we were switching rooms so we just sat around. We were waiting to head to dinner and starving. After a half hour we called her again. She still didn’t know if we could switch rooms. We asked if someone could come to join the beds together. She said “No probably not tonight. I’ll see if I can get manager approval for that tomorrow.” What?? Seriously?! We ended up having to sleep in separate beds - a huge disappointment when we were on a romantic weekend getaway. The next morning we went to the front desk. No request had even been made to join the beds together. Thankfully the gal at the desk this time was helpful and said she’d get it taken care of right away.

The other issue is that our room was about 80 degrees! We had no heat on and had to sleep with the windows open to avoid sweating to death. This meant that when the delivery trucks pulled up at 7am it was loud! No sleeping in at all. So much for relaxing vacation. This was only April - I can’t imagine staying here in the summer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
RQWManagement, Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you so much for thaking the time to write this review.
On behalf of myself and the staff at The Aspens we do apologize for the lack of service you recieved, this situation has been looked in to and delt with accordingly.

With regards to no air conditioning, unfortunatly non of the rooms at The Aspens have air conditioning. We do suggest opening the windows and pato doors, there is also fan in each room.
Again our apologies on the service you recieved, but we do hope that you enjoyed Whistler.

ResortQuest Whistler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Our family stayed in The Aspens on Blackcomb from 26th March for 10 days. This was our 3rd visit to the Aspens. Previous visits the condos were managed by Intrawest but have since been taken over by Resortquest. We found the staff on the front desk extremely unhelpful during our visit unlike our previous visits. No matter what we asked it appeared that we were interupting them from something more important. We had a 2 bed condo which was adequate but not up to the standard we have previously experienced. The only member of the staff who had any time for us was the maintenance manager, he is English and has lived in Canada a long time.
The morning we were leaving for the airport my son cut his toe and we asked the reception for a plaster, we were told they didnt have any!! Do they have health and safety rules in Canada, no First Aid box, quite worrying! Such a shame as the Aspens is in a perfect location for a ski holiday. Dont think I could recommend this accommodation again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, myself and the rest of the staff at The Aspens cannot apologize enough for the service that you received during your stay.
Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss this further.
Again my sincere apologies
ResortQuest Whistler would however like to thank you so much for your custom.
guest service Manager
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed at the aspens for 10 days on a skiing trip as a group of 3 (young males) was spot on couldnt fault the hotel or location-right on the slopes at bottom of main lift up to Blackcombe mountain (wizard express) and about a 10 min walk down to whistler town . Rooms were clean, kitchen well equipped with dishwasher and all the right pots and pans etc. maids visited every 4 days and left plenty of towels had a tidy up. ski valet service which was great but no drying room? We managed by putting our gear on chairs next to the fire in the room.
Staff all pleasant happy to help.
Hot tub area great 3 to choose from and a large swimming pool all nice to relax in after a hard day on the slopes. towels available from reception free too!
Would recommend and stay again if I go back! Well done the aspens

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for such a positive review and on behalf of ResortQuest Whistler we thank you.
We truly hope that you will come back and visit us again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

The Aspens is located at the base of Blackhome. At the end of a long day of skiing the jets in their hottub were amazing. The room was clean, spacious and everything worked. We were not interested in nightlife, so this location was perfect. It was very quiet.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.
On behalf of ResortQuest Whistler we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay.
Please come back again soon.

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We visited for a weekend and stayed at a privately rented 2 bed. Check-in was slow and when we got to the apartment they had self cleaned the oven. This meant the place was very hot and we couldnt use the oven to make dinner. The beds were the worst I have ever stayed in and were very uncomfortable. The place was cheaply decorated and I felt the carpets must have been there for 20yrs+. There were chips in the furniture and the place was desperately in need of some tlc.
The location is great for ski-in ski-out and the owners gave us a late check out which was very helpful.
It was an expensive place to stay and I didn't think it was worth the expense.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
RQWManagement, Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to write this review, i would however like to get some more information from you.
Please could you email me with regards to the room number that you stayed in, so that we can get to the bottom of the issues that you dealt with.

Regards
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I've skied a lot at Whistler Blackcomb and always favour the Blackcomb mountain. I love to stay in the upper village and for the past few years have always noticed the 'Aspens' on my ride up for the base to the mid-station. I loved the look and idea of an outside swimming pool and 2 hot tubs.

I was excited to find a reasonable deal on line for spring break in a 2 bedroom offering.

Upon check in the staff seemed very abrupt and rude to the point when another guest asked for some change for the laundry room.

Our room itself seemed very dated and poorly maintained. The cleanliness was a big issue when my daughter found a half smoked joint left on one of the beds. Not to mention the 3 socks that we found under beds and dressers. The selection of plates and glassware was a real mix and match from probably 6 different sets. Carpets were worn, wardrobes doors were falling off, the bathroom shower door was to the point of damn dangerous as it fell on me rather than one of my children and the door on the TV cabinet also fell off in the second bedroom. The beds, especially the sofa bed seems very worn and uncomfortable.

Now if you like a common hot tub that you share with 50 people it might be great! But just too many at any one time.

The location is one of the best on the mountain. A small walk, 200 yards, down the slope and you're in Blackcomb village. Great for ski-in and ski-out with young children still learning.

I wanted it to be so much more but will not choice to use this location again when i can get a better quality and cleaner property 100 yards up the hill at Painted Cliff.

I must try the Coast Resort another 100 yards further as that looks like a gem.

Overall - Disappointed, Dated and could de so much better.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

RQWManagement, Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
ResortQuest are truly sorry that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, and we would really like to help make this situation better.
Please can you email me with regards to the unit number you stayed in and if you remember the name of the front desk agent that served you.
ResortQuest pride ourselves on making sure that our guests have the best stay they can, and I am very disappointed that this was not the case for you.
Again, Please email me so that we can get to the bottom of this.
I hope to hear from you soon

Spokane, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

The location of the Aspens on Blackcomb is excellent. You can walk a very short distance from the Condo to the shops and food in the village. SKI in and OUT could not have been better.
There are some thing that need to be addressed about staying at the Aspens though. They really could use another front desk person between the hours of 4pm-8pm. This is check in time and guests are also coming to the desk for towels for the pool and any questions they may have. We had to wait 10 minutes or more to get pool towels. We arrived on a Monday during Spring Break and the hot tub by the pool was broken. We were guests here for a week and it never was fixed. That left the other 2 small ones for LOTS of guests! We had to walk back to our room 3 different times due to the tubs being full and no room was available for us to get in them. For the room, it was decent. Upon arrival we did notice several of the dishes were still dirty in the cabinets. We re-washed them but it was kinda gross. The blinds in our bedroom were broken and so was the screen to the window. Room #129. We were also left with a notice in our room explaining to leave everything locked from windows to sliders due to multiple break ins on the ground level units. (Stay on a higher floor if you can!) The bed was the worst I have ever slept on in any hotel. The mattress was hard as a rock. I got a kink in my neck the first night and that was rough trying to ski with that each day. I wish the bed was better, I would go back if they were to improve the mattress situation.

Room Tip: I would choose a different location due to the poor comfort level of the bed. If you don't care...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. At ResortQuest Whistler we appreciate all our guest reviews in order to help us make your stay better.

Thank you for your input on front desk staff, I will certainly look in to that, it sometimes is a challenge train and bring in extra staff when we have a busy periods, but I will defiantly look it to it, I do apologize that you had to wait to receive pool towels.
With regards to the hot tub, I completely understand your frustration, it was very unfortunate that one of them was not working. As our pool and hot tubs are looked after by the Strata Council at the Aspens On Blackcomb, we do not really have any pull with regards to the maintenance, all we can do is trust that it is fixed as quickly as possible and of course apologize to our guests.

On behalf of the Management team, I can not apologize enough for the issues in your room, they are down to us to fix and I feel very embarrassed that you had to wash your own dishes. With regards to the blinds, screen and bed, did you notify the front desk? I’m very sure that our maintenance team would have dealt with any issues immediately.

With regards to the note that was in your room concerning break-ins, that was and is something we have been asked to put in all our ground floor units by The Whistler RCMP, for safety reasons only, The Aspens On Blackcomb has only had one break-in, but other hotels have not been so lucky. We truly just want to make sure our guests have the nicest, safest experience possible.

All in all ResortQuest Whistler hopes that you do come back and visit us again soon, and please do not hesitate to contact me via email to discuss this further.

esanderson@resortquestwhistler.com

Been to Aspens on Blackcomb? Share your experiences!