“First impression WOW, second impression NO” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Whistler Village Inn + Suites

You added Whistler Village Inn + Suites to your Saves list
Whistler Village Inn + Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4429 Sundial Place | Blackcomb, Whistler, British Columbia V0N 1B4, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Whistler
Calgary, Canada
“First impression WOW, second impression NO”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed at the Whistler Village Inn + Suites for one night only..and this was more than enough. After we checked in (very warm welcome and friendly and helpfull receptionist) and signing a paper-- saying we are not allowed to bring people from outside in after 10 pm, not allowed to make any loud noises or turn up the TV to the MAX after 10pm-- we went up to our room. The room itselfe was nice, huge and bright, with a nice little balcony and kitchenette.
We went to bed at 11pm and couldn´t sleep because the fridge was very loud :( As we stayed just for one night- we thought "whatever, let´s wait until the noise stops and try to sleep bevor it starts again...." BUT at 1am people above us thought: "Hey, let´s have a big party!!" :( :( We already noticed, when we entered the room the first time, that this hotel is very clairaudient , but WOW..It felt like they where coming right trough the ceiling! We are not this kind of people that complain at all, but this time was different- every time has it´s first time :( So we called the reception- the guy at the reception sounded really annoyed, but at least the noise was gone after 15min we called- if there wouldn´t have been this noisy fridge, we could have gone straight away back to sleep-- getting fit again for a 6hours ride to Clearwater.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WhistlerVillageInn, General Manager at Whistler Village Inn + Suites, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Always go with your first impression. We are always trying to WOW our guests that is why we have a strict policy on noise after 10:00 p.m. After you informed our staff member of the noise in the room above he was annoyed that you were disturbed. He immediately went to the offending room and ended the disturbance. Most of our rooms have kitchens with a fridge and stove. When the fridge compressor starts it emits a humming sound. Most guests are not affected by this but for those guests that are very sensitive sleepers we can move them to another room without a fridge or provide complementary ear plugs although the best solution is to switch off the fridge. Had you mentioned the fridge to our reception staff when you spoke to him he would have instructed you how to switch off the fridge Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Our stay at the Whistler Suites was great. We had complementary hot chocolate upon return from the slopes daily. Also, the room had a beautiful fireplace. There was a kitchen with all the conveniences of home. We did use the fridge to house our snacks and drinks and the oven to roast chestnuts. It was wonderful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We purchased 2 vouchers off of a deal site and took a look at the website. The website makes the rooms seem much bigger than they are and definitely hides the dated elements of the property.

Booking:
I tried calling the location 3 times one evening and was disconnected each time. I posted to their Facebook page to see if they ha a problem with their phones an never received a response.

I called again about a week later and was pleasantly surprised with the customer service friendly Rowan. We upgraded the room from the voucher as we decided to travel with a friend for an additional $40 per night and the extra person was another $20 per night.

Parking:
Not included. $18 per night.

Check in:
Went smoothly an as expected. The lobbly is small and cozy with a self serve coffee bar.

The Hotel:
Overall the hotel looks ok but is in need of a renovation. They have tried with new tile, carpet and paint but have left in other items that seriously pull down their efforts. For example their toilet paper holders are from the 80's and I remember having them in out house growing up. You may laugh that I noticed this but they were the plastic kind that came filled with scented beads in the middle. The phones were also straight out of my 1980's living room. Both those examples are not a big deal just came across as amusing.

We were in the queen loft suit with the Murphy bed. I thing the entire room was 290sqft. It contained a small stocked kitchenette and a 2 person balcony. The bathroom was tiny and awkward. What you really want to know is probably what the beds were like. They were firm and you could feel the springs. The pillows were lumpy.

Pool & Hot Tub:
These were both clean and heated. The deck leaves a lot to be desired but we were traveling in the in-between season.
There are no lockers and I would suggest bringing your own bathrobes from home as there are not any.

Check out:
Check out went fine but the customer service was lacking. I tried I ask a few questions an the girl seemed flustered and would answer me before I even finished speaking. We were the only ones at the front desk so it was not busy.

Overall if the price was right we would go back but otherwise I would be on the hunt for a comfy place to sleep.

• Stayed April 2013
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I reserved a suite for my family of 4 to stay in and from the time I booked I thought I my room would be a queen size bed and a queen size murphy bed. It turned out to be a murphy bed and two hide-a-beds. The mattresses on the hide-a-bed's were extremely thin and very uncomfortable as you could feel the metal supports through them. The sofa beds were uncomfortable to sit in even in the sofa position, as were the two other chairs in the living area. I know staying right in the Village costs a bit more but it's not exactly what I expected for the amount I paid.
It also would have been nice to have been informed prior to my arrival that i may not be staying in the same building as where I booked myself in. When i arrived I unloaded all of our equipment and luggage out of the truck and went into the lobby and checked in only to find out that my room was across the way in another building so I had to load everything back into my truck and drive to the other side of the roundabout to the other building. At least the people at the front desk showed me a series of photographs to help get us there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

WhistlerVillageInn, General Manager at Whistler Village Inn + Suites, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments on your stay with us. As with many hotels in Whistler we have two wings or buildings. Both buildings have very similar amenities and are less than 25 meters apart and are only a one minute walk to the ski lifts. We have five different room types at this hotel. They range from studio suites to one bedroom suites to deluxe Mountain View lofts all located in the center of Whistler Village. Our value priced rooms are the studio suites which comprises 15% of our room types. They have a brand new very comfortable Queen Murphy bed, a queen sofa bed, and a full kitchen. These rooms are ideal for a couple or a family up to four with young children and are our most requested room type. The building you stayed in also has an exercise room and over size Jacuzzi. We also provide complementary WiFi. If you book directly with the hotel we will always inform our guests at the time of booking what the amenities and bed configurations are in the room. If you booked through a third party they may not be as knowledgeable about the property; for complete information it is always best to book directly with a hotel. Thanks again you for you feedback.
vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We were up there for the long weekend, we rented a one bedroom suite. It did not specify that the "one bedroom" was only separated by thin sliding vented windows. After cooking in the kitchen our room smelled like steak. It was warm that weekend and the air conditioning was not on, we notified the front desk and they said they don't turn on the a/c for another month. The carpet was dirty with a huge tear. This room needs some work considering it was $375 per night (we stayed 2 nights) We chose this room because the patio doors open up to the pool and hot tub, we brought our baby monitor and was still able to enjoy the hot tub while the kids were sleeping. We have stayed here before ams rented he superior loft in their building right across and had a much better time, it was not as runner down and a bit less per night.

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located in the heart of the Whistler village in the same building as the Keg Restaurant and Brandy's pub. Minutes from the chair lifts. The superior loft suite was spacious, clean, well stocked with a full kitchenette and accessories and had a great view of the Whistler and Blackcomb ski hills. The front reception staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The linens were clean and the rooms smelled fresh. I would recommend his hotel to couples seeking a romantic getaway or for a family of four - either way you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed at the Whistler Village Inn + Suites for the first time in March 2013 for 5 nights.

My first experience not good. The person on the front desk was busy talking (not business) to the young woman cleaning the reception lounge when I entered and he seemed more interested in resuming his conversation than dealing with me. Very unprofessional.

The hotel consists of two separate buildings: the Powder Lodge and the Keg Lodge, the latter has the pool and the former only an indoor jacuzzi, though guests can use both. I stayed in the Powder Lodge.

On the ground floor by the entrance there are ski lockers and guests (are supposed to) receive a key when checking in. I was neither told of the lockers or given a key but had to go back later to reception to ask for one. Whereupon I received the key but was told that there was a $5.00 fee if I lost it. Again, this did not seem very professional. (on the second day I had to return to reception because there was a problem with my key and the person working at the desk at that time was very helpful and professional).

I opted for the "superior loft" at an extra $16.00 per night, which was well forth it. The unit consisted of a living room (with a murphy bed) plus full kitchen, bathroom on the landing between the floors and loft bedroom on the second floor. There was a flatscreen TV with DVD player in the living room area plus another TV in the loft. Though disappointingly no HD. It's disappointing because I always believe that a hotel should at least offer services comparable to what you have at home. HD TV is no longer a luxury but is now just standard. However, my disappointment was somewhat eased by the fact that WiFi is now free at the hotel.

The common areas of the hotel looked nice, new and well cleaned. My room was on the second floor, so it was faster for me to take the stairs rather than wait for the elevator. However, there was always an odd odor in the stairwell.

My room seemed a little worn, particularly the carpeting and the bathroom. The kitchen was equipped for simple meals, though a newer frying pan would have been helpful. There was a full stove and oven, microwave, coffee maker, toaster and mini-fridge. No dishwasher. I left the dishes for housekeeping but also left an extra tip.

The bed and pillows were comfortable. Though even on the third floor I could hear the front door slam every time people entered or exited the building. The closing mechanism is probably broken so the outer door does not close slowly but instead slams shut.

Shower had good strong water pressure, always a plus.

The hotel is centrally located within the village, about a ten minute walk (at most) from the gondolas for Blackcomb and Whistler, with all the restaurants and stores within close walking range.

With the murphy bed the unit sleeps four but it might be cramped for four adults. It would be good for two people who are not sharing a bed or for a couple with small children.

I was not expecting luxury and I was not disappointed. If visiting Whistler with my wife I'd opt for something a little more luxurious but for a ski week by myself or with a friend Whistler Village Inn + Suites is adequate.

Room Tip: Even if solo spring for the "superior loft". The extra $16.00 t0 $20.00 a night is worth i...