I booked accommodation for three nights at the Marketplace Lodge. The reservation was made over the internet through the Whistler-Blackcomb reservation system called ResortQuest. They took my credit card information and gave me a reservation number and a confirmation email.
I show up at the Marketplace Lodge at 8:00PM. Nobody is there. I find a piece of paper taped to a door beside the locked-down check-in counter. On the paper it says "this Front Desk is managed by Whistler Retreats and is not affiliated with ResortQuest. Whistler Retreats cannot help you check in. The ResortQuest phone number is ---."
I call the ResortQuest number. I get a recorded message saying that the office is now closed for the day. I re-read my confirmation email. Nowhere does it say anything about checking-in instructions.
I call the Whistler Retreats number. I explain my situation. They tell me that they get calls like mine all the time, and there is nothing they can do.
I end up going into the village and checking into another hotel.
The next morning, I called ResortQuest. They put me on hold for 18 minutes. Finally, someone picks up the phone. I explain what happened the night before. She tells me that I was supposed to check in at a different place. Over the phone, we both read through the confirmation email I received. She agrees that nowhere in the confirmation does it say that you have to check-in at a different place. Also, she is "not sure" whether my deposit will be refunded.
Is this Olympic calibre service?
I'm still waiting for a call-back from a "Manager".
And by the way, even though I never did see the guest rooms, the entrance to the Marketplace Lodge is grungy at best.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Affordable and well-appointed, these privately-owned condo units are the perfect choice for the traveler who enjoys comfort and convenience. Centrally-located and with a common area hot tub and easy access to shops and restaurants, Marketplace Lodge is ideal for families and small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets and Priceline so you can book your Marketplace Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Resortquest Marketplace Hotel Whistler
- Marketplace Lodge Whistler