“A majestic Resort property with 5 Star service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort

You added Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort to your Saves list
Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   4599 Chateau Boulevard, Whistler, British Columbia V0N 1B4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
20% OFF + DINING CREDIT
Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Tofino B.C.
“A majestic Resort property with 5 Star service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

We had an amazing experience last weekend at The Fairmont in Whistler. Decided to upgrade to Fairmont Gold and was duly impressed with the entire experience. Concierge staff were knowledgable, attentive and the daily breakfast creative and delicious. Booked inot the David Leadbetter at thier golf course ( a must experience) the new Teaching Professional (Nick) from their Florida operation gave my son and i personal lessons for 2 days, having been to other camps in the past their approach and teaching methods were like no other. Tremendous value and the whole package of teaching left us much more confident about our game. The hotel and its staff's attention to provide guests with 5 Star service was very evident for the 3 days we spent there. Particulary the Housekeeping, Front Desk, Doorman and Golf shuttle attendants. At night after a long day of golf we decided to go to Hy's Steakhouse, this is another must do, the restaurant,food and service is amongst the best we have exerienced. The Village was brimming with tourists, many street entertainers added to the ambience of this majestic Resort. For sure we will return in August with a larger group to golf and dine in some of the 100 of more local restaurants. There are so many acitivity options for visitors its hard to choose what to do, Next time we will hold our breath and do the Ziptrek.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

We spent one night at this hotel during a mini tour of Canada and it certainly didn’t disappoint. It was everything you’d expect from a Fairmont Hotel. We were allocated room 312 overlooking the pool, which we were told was a refurbished room. The room was en suite and equipped with large comfortable beds, TV, tea/coffee making facilities, hairdryer and superior bathroom with shaving mirror, toiletries and over bath shower.

As this was a tour to celebrate a very special anniversary, the hotel laid on some very yummy strawberries covered in chocolate. Free wi-fi was available in the rooms. The setting of the hotel was just stunning and it is just a short walk to many other hotels, bars, shops and restaurants.

As our package did not include breakfast, we went to ‘Portobellos’, which is part of the hotel and provides ‘breakfasts on the go’, which was adequate and tasty prior to setting off to Vancouver early that morning.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I'm quite sad, actually, to have to say that the Fairmont chain, IMHO, is not what is used to be... and I say this because in March, although I was happily upgraded in Seattle, the food in our room service order was not up to par. Now, in Whistler, I'm experiencing a letdown again.

I travel often, staying at first class hotels and I recommend them to clients as a meeting and incentive travel professional. I have been an absolute fan of Fairmont for many years (and quite a vocal advocate) and I notice a change for the worse. This is my first time at the Chateau (notice I say "is" because I'm still staying here!))

Our issue started when we got to P4 of the parking garage and saw a sign that said that we had to pay for parking at the meter... nothing in the signage made us think that we could do what we normally do... and that is register with the front desk and pay with our bill. We paid $72 for 2 days... and then realized as we were getting in the elevator that we'd screwed up... it was a long day driving to Whistler!

Then the fun started... I experienced the rudest front desk person that I think I've ever experienced... Because I'm in the travel industry I had booked an industry rate... while most readers won't "care" about my challenges with respect to this issue... why I'm sharing this is because it is really sad to have to report that my first touch point with the Fairmont was a nasty, nasty woman.

Skipping the details I'll skip to the parking issue... which I brought up with her... and the answer is that the parking lot is not owned by Fairmont... fair enough... but was she helpful?... NOT!

In the evening we decided to go to the hottub... strange practice to send people along the 3rd floor down what looks like emergency exit stairs to the fitness area. On the way back we simply walked through the lobby in our robes (which is apparently why they direct you via the 3rd floor so you don't do this!) Not sure what their problem is... they have a spa... spa resorts have people walking around in robes... but whatever!

Skip to next day... spoke to a bellman, who directed me to the concierge, who gave me a phone# and I instantly got approval and a name/phone# to give me a credit for the extra $20 that we spent ... so great service from the bellman and the concierge... and the fellow that they referred me to... thanks very much... that is the right way to do things...

Okay... back to the room... 5th floor, facing the forest... and the rooms are not at all what I expected.. The entire room needs a really good dust (so do the lights in the hallway!)... the desk lightbulb is burned out... the bathroom is nice but not great (more like lipstick than luxury)... and perhaps the biggest let down (apart from getting my pinky stuck in a hole in the duvet in the middle of the night... don't ask how, I don't know, I was sleeping until it happened!)) is the armoire and TV... both look like something in my parent's basement... I would expect "real" wood and a flat screen TV... sitting here looking at it while I type this takes me back in time.

As to the location... in May, probably not that big of a factor but in ski season, you probably can't beat it! We didn't check out the golf course (it's been raining since we got here) so we can't comment.

I can't say anything other than the few things that we've experienced... and we've chosen to experience more outside the hotel than inside because of our first "touch" with the staff.

Staying here is not awful... it's just not up to my expectations...

So... I still have another night here... and tomorrow I'm meeting with the sales department.

Tonight, would I recommend this to an incentive group, meeting, or anyone who is used to the old "Fairmont" standard?... not right now...and that is so very sad to say.

As I say in all my other posts, I'm paid to find destinations and properties that provide a fabulous experience with great value for meetings and incentives. Even when I travel for pleasure, this background has resulted in being a bit spoiled compared to many travellers... however, there is no excuse for nasty staff. With premium properties the room cleanliness is expected to be superior as does the TV, bedding and furnishings and this room with that front desk person just doesn't cut it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
North Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

Great hotel. Staff was friendly, courteous and very helpful. The Chateau had all the amenities we needed. Room was nice, but somewhat underwhelming after the grandeur of the lobby.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

Our family of four recently spent the weekend at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler and loved it! We arrived early but they had our room ready so after parking and unpacking, we were in the pool by noon. Parking seems pricy at first ($28 for self parking, $33 for valet parking) but the parking fee covered the time from check in (11:30am) until 6:30pm the following day. Essentially, we got a weekend's worth of parking for the cost of a one night parking pass. We got an excellent room rate as May is low season. The hotel is very well priced considering the excellent quality of customer service and facilities.

We were greeted very warmly by all of the staff. The hotel must hire people based on skills + personality because the customer service skills of everyone we encountered were amazing.

Our room had two queen beds in a fairly large room (deluxe two queen room) with a very large bathroom and a lovely view of the slopes of Blackcomb and Whistler. We had very comfortable sleeps. There was a large armoire with drawers, a tv, minifridge and coffee maker. The closet had several good quality hangers, shelves, and a fairly large easy to use safe. The room was larger than we expected and nicely decorated. Although there was no balcony, we were able to open the windows a bit and enjoy fresh clean mountain air.

We ordered snacks and drinks poolside which amazed and delighted our kids who would have been very reluctant to get out of the pool. We also enjoyed a takeaway breakfast from the Portobello Deli (breakfast in bed while watching cartoons is always so relaxing). I had a solo meal one night in the Mallard Lounge after the rest of the family returned home (I stayed on to attend meetings) and had the Butter Chicken which was excellent. The Mallard Lounge was a very comfortable setting for a single female diner. There were several parties of assorted sizes in the Lounge, and the customer service was top notch.

The pool is located in the Health Club. We really enjoyed the indoor/outdoor pool (connected by a little channel with a plastic flap), the hottubs (one indoor and three outdoor), the sauna, and the lappool. The lappool, cooler than the leisure pool (much appreciated by real swimmers) has underwater speakers which our children found amazing. There were deck chairs everywhere and with poolside service (from the Mallard Lounge) we happily spent an evening and an afternoon on the pool deck!

The Fairmont Chateau Whister is a 5 - 10 minute walk to the Lower Village. We had fun walking around enjoying the ambience. We discovered the best burgers (Splitz) and the best icecream (Cows). I also had the opportunity to try ziptrekking - what a blast.

Overall, our experience at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler was excellent. We are planning to return to Whistler in July and will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

Stayed here in the off season, so it wasn't that busy. It is a gorgeous hotel, very fine. The concierge was great. The view was stunning. I loved the location, it was a nice short walk to the busy area of the village. Nice and quiet, with stunning views all around. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

Gotta be one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. From the minute we arrived we were amazed by the treatment we received.

Location is spot on with the gondolla lift right beside the hotel and the village only a 5 minute walk away.

Planning another trip to Whistler and not considering any other hotels - just wouldn't be the same without staying in the Fairmont

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort? Share your experiences!