“Amazing food - best in BC!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sparkling Hill Resort

You added Sparkling Hill Resort to your Saves list
Sparkling Hill Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   888 Sparkling Place | Predator Ridge, Vernon, British Columbia V1H 2K7, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Vernon, Canada
“Amazing food - best in BC!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

My husband and I have eaten here a couple of times since the resort opened ('Peakfine' Restaurant), and we have nothing but rave reviews. The food is original and absolutely delicious, staff were courteous and prompt, and the price for the meal was outstanding. The chef even came out to talk with us after our meal - what a wonderful surprise!
We have eaten in fabulous restaurants all over the world, and this ranks with the best of them. I absolutely recommend this restaurant, and I think with some time the resort will iron out its little kinks that people have been complaining about (it opened in May 2010). I see no reason not to go here and have the best food you will have in the Okanagan, if not even BC!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

My family (parents, siblings and two young kids) planned a weekend getaway to celebrate several summer birthdays. We'll start with the positives:

- Food: we're vegetarian and often have a hard time finding great food on the road. The executive chef, Ross Dereck, did not dissapoint! He took our requests as a creative challenge and we were beyond thrilled with the results. It was as good, if not better, than the Lumiere vegetarian tasting menu! Plus he's focused on finding the best quality local and organic ingredients so we were able to have a real taste of the valley.

- Saunas: included in the price of the room is access to 7 sauna. Each was unique and stunning in design and utility. Our favorites were the colder sauna with the mint essence, the black rock and roll sauna and the salt sauna that looked like superman's north pole get-away.

- The views: our rooms were facing the lake and were stunning! Each room had a crystal shaped bathtub that was facing the water, so you could relax and bathe while watching ospreys soar over the mountains and lakes.

- Spa treatments: we all booked massages and had mixed experiences. My massage, by Melissa, was amazing, but some of my family felt a little dissapointed. We did the cold cold sauna. It was an experience to say the least. My husband lasted the full 3 mins, and I only stayed for 1.5 mins, but we both felt the lasting benefits (reduced joint pain and lots of energy) for the rest of the day

the negatives:
- Service: there wasn't a proper valet to help with our bags and the desk staff was a little distracted

- Family friendly: we were asked a couple of times to keep our kids more contained, so it's not super young kid friendly. I'd go back with just my husband, but would leave the kids at home.

- Yoga: we were told we could drop in on the yoga, but when we arrived for class early the next morning, we found that we had to book it the night before and there was no-one there.

All-in-all it was a great experience, with the positives outweighing the negatives. We left with a very good taste in our mouths.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Red Deer, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

MY fiance & i never stayed at this resort as we had read the reviews before hand, but we did book a meal in the restaurant only to be very disapointed...the location is a blot on the landscap & it sticks out like a sore thumb..but the views are spectacular...but it feels very unfinished..for example there are no tables & chaires on the patio for you to enjoy a drink or cup of tea,while taking in the views a lot of people are just walking in to view the place & thats why there is no where to park when you are a guest ..so much for valet parking which you would expect with a resort like this
the restaurant staff were very good,the food was nice that we had,if you could find it on the plate ...i had scallops with bacon & it was 1 scallop & a very miniscule piece of bacon...so the menu should have said SCALLOP..the portions are very disapointing & the food is not 5 star,but you are paying 5 star prices
i would not recomend anyone to go there until things improve unless you like to be ripped off ..in which case fill your boots

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Okanagan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

We booked one night with spa treatments for our tenth anniversary. The first 3 hours in the pool we were thinking of all the friends and relatives who would enjoy it. Once we got to the restaurant, though, everything and I mean everything went to the dogs. The hostess forgot to write down our reservations--we actually waited 1 and1/2 hours to be served our entree. Dinner rolls were very stale. Cream and sugar for coffee were not forthcoming with coffee but were begrudgingly served only after asking two waiters. Breakfast was bad too. After booking a week in advance on a few hours notice the spa cancelled our treatment and didn't seem to think that some sort of complementary treatment could have been arranged. Come back tomorrow was what we were told. Also the feature "cold sauna" was out of service. No-one explained this, had they we might not have booked our stay. After a repeated disasters we ran down to the desk, I cancelled any tips on my bill and we got out of there as fast as we could. No-one at this hotel deserves any gratuities. Actually if they followed their own rules they should have paid us for their cancellation. We left early as soon as we could get out of there. I will never go back--and I might make it my life mission to make people aware of what a horrible experience we had.

Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I just visited the newly opened Sparkling Hill this past weekend (june 18 - 20). Although we enjoyed our time, here are a few things you should know:

By all accounts, Sparkling Hill's physical attributes are stunning - it's views, the physical building, the $10 million worth of crystals adorning the property, the spa, and some of the interior design. But, it appears the hotel may have opened too soon. The staff--although earnest and eager--haven't been trained properly in the art of delivering 5-star service. As a result, the luster of this sparkling resort quickly wears off, taking down to the level of a 2 or 3 star, which is a strange juxtaposition against the high-end elegance exuded in every part of the building and hotel's concept.

Good Things
- the $10 million worth of gorgeous crystals strewn throughout the facility, in every detail (from chandeliers, to large-scale room features, to embedded in bed-side tables)
- location, location, location
- outdoor infinity pool overlooking Lake Okanagan
- high-end pool loungers (adjust to any angle pneumatically)
- the plentiful marmots roaming the land surrounding the resort
- diamond-shaped tub-for-two overlooking Lake Okanagan
- spacious rooms
- robes and spa slippers in the room ( I love and expect this )
- included breakfast
- the deserts and some of the dinner selections (which change every night) in peak fine restaurant
- included steam rooms + experience showers
- giant, yet intimate spa facilities
- the extensive walking trails
- included wireless
- pets are allowed for $25/day, but you'll need to stay in a standard, mountain view room (which also provide nice views)

Needs Improvement
- reservation system is odd, the hotel couldn’t find my reservation when I provided the number
- when you reserve, you get a confirmation email, but no confirmation of your package details and no follow-up to book dinner or spa
- when I sent an email to reservations once I booked my getaway, I asked for two spa treatments and a dinner reservation. The spa treatments were booked, but I was told I had to call the restaurant to reserve dinner, which is something that should have been taken care of for me (and I once again requested over email they reserve for me)
- when I asked for a half-hour late check-out, it was as if the hotel had never dealt with that request
- book your spa and dinner reservation in advance
- breakfast was sub-par, I'm sure the staff put a lot of work into preparing the food, but the pastries were tasteless and dense, and the eggs chewy yet runny
- breakfast is also seat-yourself, but there's no signs to indicate this...
- don’t sleep with the windows open, mosquitoes will find your ears, ahhhh
- staff training, for a hotel part of the Prestigious Preferred Resorts & Hotels Group, staff required additional training
- no bell-hop or door person to help with bags
- no spa supervision at night (and with a facility SO big, that's weird and unsafe)
- bed sheets feel like burlap, maybe a few more washes will make them softer?
- doors are not very soundproof, so try and book a room at the end of the hall, not near elevator
- no coffee makers in rooms

A final word. I would not say that Sparkling Hill is a young family-friendly getaway spot. What I mean by this is, it's not the kinda place where you bring your 3 toddlers... I've never been bothered by kids at a resort before, but it's just not the place for young kids. Rather it's perfect for ladies getaways, couples retreats, guys Predator Ridge getaways and even family getaways (which involve people 19 and up).

I would recommend the hotel once the hotel has been open for a little longer. Overall, it was wonderful, it will just take some time to fully mature into it's beauty.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

I just came back from my 2 day vacation in the beautiful Okanagan Valley and stayed at Sparkling Hill, as I have friends who recommended this resort. I booked a two night package which included meals, spa treatments and deluxe rooms.

Front desk staff was extremely helpful when we arrived, answered all our questions and valet parked our car. The hotel was breath taking , the grand entrance was awe inspiring, our jaws hit the floor when we saw the crystals, they were every where!

Our room was gorgeous, the view was unbelieveable, the windows were floor to ceiling, and you can slide them open to get that fresh Okanagan air. The beds were my favorite part, the memory foam matresses were super comfy as well as the linens and duvet.

The Spa was incredible, the staff were super helpful and professional. We booked our spa services ahead of time so we could coordinate our treatments with other activites we had planned. My massage with Dean was one of the best I have ever had, and I absolutely loved the steam and sauna rooms, the experience showers, and more! I felt pampered, and well cared for, and ended up booking another appointment for a pedi because of it! The outdoor pool wasn't available during our stay but with everything else being so good it didnt seem to matter that much.

The dinners were fabulous, so was the wine. The servers helped us pair wines to our dinners, and after 4 courses! We were stuffed. We barely had room for our desert which was the most yummiest lioghtest chocolate mousse I've ever had.

My girlfriend and I felt like we had stepped into the lifestyle of the rich and famous, the way the food, spa and hotel room all came together. The feeling in the resort was one of relaxation and serenity. So many times, we just sat in the window of our room watching storm clouds roll through and then bright sunny skies right behind! I will definately come back to the resort again, I want to plan another trip in the fall, and try out some of the hiking and walking trails in the area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Great architecture. Should have driven up checked it out a left. Instead I made the mistake of staying.

The staff would be great if this were a motel 6.

They are not up to the task of working at what appears to be a 4 star hotel.

I feel like I was robbed by staying here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!