“Disappointing....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sparkling Hill Resort

You added Sparkling Hill Resort to your Saves list
Sparkling Hill Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   888 Sparkling Place | Predator Ridge, Vernon, British Columbia V1H 2K7, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Vancouver, Canada
“Disappointing....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was really looking forward to staying at this resort. The setting and views are beautiful, no doubt about that! Check in staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a lake view room with a bathtub overlooking the lake. The room was funky and modern, very light on amenities which I thought was unusual for a spa resort. The room was noisy, you could hear word for word what people were saying in the hallway walking by. The TV didn't work in our room. Dinner at the fine dining restaurant was an utter disappointment. My partner ordered the lamb, which were two very small pieces made up of nothing but fat and sinew. You literally would not have been able to cut 3 small bites off that - and that for $36? He sent it back explaining the problem. Instead of offering another piece of lamb, they recommended he pick something else so he choose the steak. The steak looked like it had been put on the grill for marks and then put in the oven to cook. It had a very peculiar smell and no spices or much flavour. I had the swordfish which was OK but also very bland. The wine selection was very limited, especially if buying by the glass. We paid $280 for two people. While expensive, I don't mind paying this if it is for an exquisite meal. We eat better at home! Then it was off to the Spa which is open until 10pm. We walked into the Kurspa and there is no staff, apparently they leave at 6:30pm. So you are left to wander around on your own and orientate yourself. Again, sorry...this is not a 5 star outfit like they make themselves out to be. We enjoyed trying the different sauna's and the pool area. We didn't try any of the spa treatments so I can't comment there. Several people had told us how good the breakfast was here, so we were looking forward to this hoping it would redeem some of our other disappointments. Sadly the breakfast too was mediocre at best. Powdered eggs. Really? No bacon, no orange juice (you had to ask). If you wanted real eggs, they charged you $2 per egg. Very little fresh fruit (other than garnish), they did have some nice smoked salmon but that was the highlight. My partner used to be a commercial airline pilot, I work in the travel industry so we both have travelled a lot and can recognize a quality luxury resort. It is a shame, as it is a lovely spot and with some minor improvements, they can make this a world class resort but they need to up their F&B big time and add a little more service sparkle to that hill! Until then, we won't be coming back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found the setting and views to be beautiful and the check in staff to be friendly and helpful. I am sorry to hear that the TV did not work in your room and that your dinner was a disappointment. It is surprising that you found the breakfast to be mediocre as this is certainly not the usual feedback. Most guests greatly enjoy the wide selection of breakfast food and especially all the different fruit. All of this valuable feedback will be passed onto our managers. We are continuously working on improving our service. I do hope you allow us to learn from your experience and return in the future.

CEO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was our 2nd time staying At Sparking Hill Resort and we loved it as much as the 1st time. The 1st time we were there during the white winter and this time during the sunny fall; both season's provided gorgeous views from every window.
The rooms are spectacular with full windows, large tub, separate shower, crystal fire and cozy beds. Robes and slippers are provided and guests use these for trips back and forth to the spa and pools. We chose lake view rooms and were blown away by the view. Our rooms were clean and quiet.
Love the spa! In all my travels and visits to spa's I have never encountered one this large and amazing - check out all it has to offer on line. Plus, if you don't want to pay for services there are steam & dry sauna's, pools & hot tub, and large serenity rooms with wonderful views included with your room. A full buffet breakfast is also included and it's excellent.
Dinner may or may-not be included in the reservation, but either way the food is wonderful.
A stay at Sparking Hill Resort is a total zen-like retreat.

Room Tip: Loved the lake view rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review regarding your most recent visit. I am so pleased that you had such a glorious 2nd stay and were able to enjoy so much of what we have to offer. I am also glad that you found the rooms to be spectacular, clean and quiet and that you love the spa. It really is the heart of the hotel! We do offer over 100 different treatments but you are right, guests can enjoy the complimentary 7 different steams and saunas, 3 pools, FunFit center, Tea and Serenity room as well, which is included in every guests stay! Thank you for noting how excellent the food is.

We greatly look forward to welcoming you back for a 3rd zen-like retreat!

Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This place presents well with lots of Swarovski crystals for the price I was paying I was expecting a fabulous room with a fabulous view. View was fabulous room was not, what is it with high priced hotels/ resorts in Canada prices in the stratosphere but room quality and cleanliness not up to the prices.
The room did not live up to the billing of this location it was not spotless and the decor was substandard for the class this resort is to represent .
I know of cleaner and nicer Hotels in Austria for less than half the price Mr Gernot Langes-Swarovski should note that this resort does not reflect the standards that the Austrians are known for, especially at these over inflated prices.
The meal was mediocre $12.00 for a salad that was poor, even Wendy's has better salads.
The ragout although good was small and overpriced $36.00.
The best meal we had was the breakfast buffet it was outstanding.
In all fairness we did not visit the spa and have heard it is good.
Would I return to stay there - no - not unless someone else is picking up the tab.
Nice location great views but rooms are overpriced.
I noticed on the wall that trip advisor had given this location 4.5 stars, trip advisor needs to reevaluate its criteria as is does not merit 4.5 stars - 3 at most in my opinion.
We paid just under $500.00 for room, dinner without alcohol and breakfast buffet.
Holiday Inn express is cleaner and 1/3 the price or less.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent visit. I am very disappointed and sorry to hear of the less than outstanding experience you had. I am very surprised that the room was not spotless as this is certainly not our standard. Our décor is limited as we do have over 3.5 million Swarovski crystal throughout the hotel and with our large floor to ceiling windows in all places we try to welcome the nature into the hotel, I am sorry that you found this to be substandard.

I would also like to apologize that you found the salad to be mediocre, this is not the usual feedback we receive regarding the salads, most guests greatly enjoy them and find the portion to be perfect for their wellness week with us.

I am disappointed that you were unable to experience the KurSpa, it is the heart of the hotel and really what Sparkling Hill is all about.

Most guests find that their room, which does include a full hot breakfast, access to our 7 unique steams and saunas, indoor pool complete with underwater music and starry Swarovski crystal sky, outdoor infinity pool overlooking Lake Okanagan, hot pool, FunFit center and Tea and Serenity relaxation rooms, wifi and valet parking holds a great value. To have all of that included plus a dinner in a fine dining restaurant for just under $500 is difficult to find anywhere else.

We will most certainly be looking into the cleanliness issue that you brought up but do hope you provide us with the opportunity to learn from this experience and come back.

Kind Regards

Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We spent a weekend in Sept and really enjoyed Sparkling Hill. My wife spent both days in the various spa facilities and I played golf at the adjacent Predator Ridge course. I was most impressed with the friendly staff who tried to satisfy every request we had. Even the manager checked with us to make sure we were pleased with all of their services. This will be an annual trip for us.

Room Tip: lake views are spectacular.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Jack,

Thank you very much for your great feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Sparkling Hill so much. It is most certainly very easy to spend 2 days in our 40,000 sq ft spa, there is lots of room to explore! We are very lucky to have Predator Ridge, a world class golf course, right next to us. Thank you for noting how friendly all of the staffs were and that they tried to satisfy every request, it is also wonderful that the manager checked in with you.

We greatly look forward to welcoming you back for an annual trip!

Warm Regards,

Kelowna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We took advantage of a great mid week special - Sparkling Hill did not disappoint. Upon arrival, we were greeted with complimentary cocktails and a Happy Birthday card in our room. So appreciated. Resort staff were friendly, helpful and courteous. Room was clean and crisp. KurSpa was wonderful. Breakfast buffet was excellent. We will return again and again.

Pros: Splurge for the lakeview rooms. Well worth the upgrade.

Cons: Indoor pool/hot tub area is in need of maintenance. Hot tub temp was low, as were the hot water sections in the Kniepp therapy walkway. The twinkling lights above the indoor pool were not working. Ceiling is dirty around ventilation areas. Water fountain anchor is rusting. Lots of rust spots in the indoor pool.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you enjoyed your complimentary cocktails and we feel so honored that you spent your birthday with us! I am so pleased that you were able to take advantage of one of our wonderful mid week specials. Our staffs are dedicated to providing a truly unique experience to all of our guests, thank you for noting how friendly, helpful and courteous all of them were. Thank you for also noting the areas that you feel require improvement, you are absolutely right and we will be working on these very soon.

We greatly look forward to welcoming you again and again!

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We were staying in Vernon and heard about the Sparkling Hills so decided to go investigate what it was all about. Sparkling Hills is very aptly named as it site on the very top of one of the dry hills. The resort is a 180 degree panorama of glass and Saworski crystals. When you are in the hotel you have a view of Kalamalka Lake on your right, Okanagan Lake on your left and Adventure Bay directly opposite on the lake. Even the parking lot has Sworski crystals imbedded into it's cement panels - I'm not sure what overwhelmed us more the views or the crystals. Upon entering the 3 story glass lobby you are greated with a 3 level Saworksi crytal chandelier in the form of a water-fall. We had planned on having lunch but were a little late - we checked out the dining room (white table cloths etc, etc) still with 180 degree views and another large free-formed sawarski crystal chandelier. The staff were so nice they they were finished for lunch but that we could find food in the bar downstairs. When we got to the bar another bi surprise - Again, the 180 degree views - phenominal! They have a secluded quiet area with wonderful seating at the back of the bar, the center of the bar and a small patio. As it was bery hot that day we chose to sit by the open door by the patio, so we could get the lovely cooling breezes. We all decided to have just appetizers and to share a little off of each place - the food is fabulous! I've never eaten such great food. I had a cheeze tray, a glass of Okanagan wine and a homemade Apple Strudel for dessert. I was expecting to pay quite a lot because of the surroundings - my lunch cost me only $23 - the same as I would pay at any local downtown restaurant for food that was not freshly made. Others had various sandwiches, soups etc, etc. Presentation was excellent - cudos to the kitchen staff and to wait staff. Don't think you need to stay here or to have a meal in the evening in the dining room - they are more than accommodating if you would just like a dessert and coffee in the bar. We had a glimpse of the rooms which were awesome - funky bathtubs right by windows which look down upon the lake, big beds and wonderful decor. Rooms are very up-market as is the whole resort - but saying that every staff person we spoke to was friendly, accommodating and more than helpful. My next trip will be to spend a few days here and relax in the Spa features, have a wonderful dinner and drink in more of the faboulous views. Very romantic place. I don't think I'd bring children here - this is a place for couples wanting to enjoy each other.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Phoebe,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review! I am so pleased that you decided to investigate Sparkling Hill after you heard about us! The views, everywhere, in the hotel truly are breathtaking and we do have over 3.5 million Swarovski crystals in the hotel. Thank you for noting how fabulous the food was and how much you enjoyed the layout in Barrique & Java, the seats by the patio window are very popular. The apple strudel is delicious and I am so glad you tried it.

I do hope you come and enjoy a few nights with us; it is a truly unique experience! Always included with your stay is a full hot breakfast, access to 7 unique steams and saunas, the Kneipp waterway, the indoor pool complete with underwater music and starry Swarovski crystal sky, outdoor infinity pool overlooking Lake Okanagan, hot pool, FunFit center, Tea and Serenity Relaxation rooms! There are over 100 treatments available in the lavishing 40,000 sq ft KurSpa.

Thank you again and we greatly look forward to welcoming you for a visit!

Tucson, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Sparkling Hill Resort is a paradox. Our initial impression was that we hit the jackpot. The exterior is stunning as are the views. Our room was lovely. Add Canada's largest spa with several steam rooms and saunas, an indoor pool and whirlpool, an infinity-edge outdoor pool, and a lengthy menu of treatments. It's time to relax!

But then we saw the problems. There was no one at the entrance to greet us and valet our car. The reception staff was indifferent, at best. The room's amenities were skimpy--the smallest soap we've ever seen and no lotion. Each of us was provided with one towel to use in the spa. We each had a robe to wear in the room and spa. Sitting in the room in a wet robe doesn't appeal. However, there are lots of (empty) built-in shelves and cabinets in the spa, presumably for towels and robes. There were none of the standard amenities in the spa. We wondered if this skimpiness is "European" or a way to save money.

Dinner was exceptionally good, but paradoxically breakfast could not even stand up to the breakfast served at a Hampton Inn.

The Sparkling Hill Resort could be a special place. We hope they get their act together.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is great to hear that you found the exterior and views to be stunning, the room lovely and the KurSpa to be relaxing.

It is very disappointing and concerning to learn of the areas that left you disappointed. I am sorry to hear that no one was at the entrance to greet you and that the front desk staffs were indifferent, this is most certainly not our standard, immediate additional training will need to be provided. I am very surprised to read of your opinion regarding the room amenities, majority of our guests greatly enjoy the “Bee-Kind” line that we are currently using, it is our standard to provide lotion in every room, I truly apologize that you did not have any. I am also sorry to hear that you were sitting in your room in a wet robe, we do always have additional robes available in the spa to exchange. We used to have our towels throughout the KurSpa but unfortunately had to place them in the rooms due to a large amount of towels going missing. I apologize that this was inconvenient for you.

Thank you for noting how good the dinner was, I am however, taken aback that you did not enjoy the complimentary breakfast as this is not the usual response we receive.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you allow us to learn from your experience and return in the future.

Kind Regards,

CEO

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!