“excellent food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wild Saffron Bistro - CLOSED

Wild Saffron Bistro
1605 Store St, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 3K3, Canada (Downtown)
+1 250-361-3310
Improve this listing
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Oshawa, Canada
“excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The atmosphere and food were very upscale, and while not inexpensive, we did not find the prices unreasonable. The menu was creative and the staff very attentive. Easy to find from the Delta hotel - a short walk across the bridge. Worth the money for sure.

• Visited August 2012

Victoria, Canada
“Creative food at fair price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Really good food. Creative, healthy. Seafood perfectly cooked. Attentive and warm service. They could accommodate a gluten-free guest and a seven-year-old child. All five of us was delighted. Fair price!

• Visited July 2012
Harvard, Massachusetts
“Inspired Food, Fair Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Great, creative food at a fair price. We also had a very attentive and informative waiter, although that may have been due to it being a slow night. A nice atmosphere, if a bit overdone with the large lamps and fans on the ceiling. All in all, a winner.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Victoria, Canada
“Totally revamped - a must visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

My husband and I headed downtown for dinner and found our first choice had a 35 minute wait. Not sure what to do as we were hungry, my husband remembered that that the Wild Safron Bistro had reopened. I wasn't too keen as a past visit to the bistro and the pub in the same hotel had been pretty lackluster. The prices looked expensive when we first glanced at the menu but since we had run out of ideas decided to stay. Good decision! The meal was absolutely stellar and given the quality and portion sizes very good value for our dollar. The room has been totally renovated and looked quite modern. The noise from the pub down the hall travelled down at times but I see there is a door that could have been closed if it got too noisy. There were at most 2 other tables during our visit and yet the staffing levels seemed to be based on attentive service to a full room. So of course the service was stellar. Quick efficient and relatively knowledgeable. Our main waiter struck me as being a little inexperienced - he brought out a bottle of Mission Hill "chardonay" and introduced it as such even though the label quite clearly said savignon blanc. Perhaps he might have struggled with a full room but I'm sure will be up to speed by the time that happens. We had the Sun Wing farm tomato salad which was quite innovative, a decent portion and absolutely delicious. I had the seafood risotto "starter" which given that I wasn't hungry was fine as my entre. Delicous - fresh, perfectly cooked and the right temperature. My husband had the chicken which again was a good portion and absolutely delicious. My two glasses of wine were very reasonably priced and a good portion. Too often I receive 4 oz glasses of wine when I am dining out. There could have been more wines available by the glass but perfectly reasonable given that the restaurant isn't that busy yet. We had room for dessert so settled on the vanilla creme brule. To die for! Creamy and flavourful. Definitely the best creme brule I have had at a restaurant. Every couple that left before us remarked how good the food had been and one couple - who seemed to be tourists - commented that they couldn't believe the place wasn't busier. I agree.

• Visited June 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“Now my absolute favorite restaurant in Victoria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

They just re-opened the bistro after some renovations and have brought in a new chef.
I have to say I was completely blown away by the food and presentation of the food.

It was so good I went two days in a row . .

I had the house salad app which was a work of art featuring perfectly cooked asparagus, prosciutto and a unique caper dressing, it was really amazing the prosciutto really added a nice flavor.

The next night I had the risotto, it was perfectly cooked and another showpiece. It came with an olive tapenade which I found odd but the flavors did blend nicely.

My main was a hand made ravioli with pork and apple, having fresh made pasta always makes a difference. This was another winner.

The next night I had the tenderloin, although the serving size was only 6oz it was perfectly cooked and well seasoned. Three of us ordered the tenderloin and all ordered different temperatures and they all arrived perfectly cooked, this chef knows what she is doing.

Next the desserts , hmmmmmm now this was heaven.
We ordered everything on the menu and they were all amazing.
1st was a poached pear with a home made ice cream, again an amazing presentation and flavor to match

2nd was a chocolate mousse which I love but most arrive either dusted with powdered sugar or so bitter you don't want a second bite, this one was smooth creamy and left a terrific aftertaste, without a doubt my favorite

3rd was the creme brulee, everyone liked it, I felt it needed a touch more vanilla and a touch more sugar on top for that extra crunch. It was gone before I could get a second taste so it certainly won the tables approval.

overall this was my best food experience in Victoria and I imagine in another month or two it will be tough to get into this restaurant.

• Visited June 2012