“Fun little place, good for kids” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Mexico - CLOSED

Cafe Mexico
1425 Store St, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 3C6, Canada (Downtown)
(250) 386-1425
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
North Vancouver, Canada
“Fun little place, good for kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband found this place on-line because it was near our hotel. We did not have reservations, but walked in and got a table immediately on a Saturday night. The ambience, decor, and music are really enjoyable. Better and more artsy then most mex restaurants. I loved all the parrots hanging from the ceiling (see pic). There is a loft-style seating area for families.

Service was fast and friendly with just a touch of up-selling. The server brought crayons and a picture for our son to colour. Margaritas were tasty and refreshing (both frozen and on-the-rocks). Not the best we've had, but far from the worst. We ordered only appies so cannot say much about food quality. I loved their salsa; it was thick and heavy on the fresh tomatoes, and not spicy. Just my style. The pico de gallo on the other hand was quite spicy and I could not finish it. The guac also has a different but enjoyable taste. I could not identify what special ingredient was used. My husband ordered the nachos and cleaned his plate without speaking.

We will be coming back here the next time we are in Victoria.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

winnipeg
“Good food and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is the restaurant at the Market Square. Nice location and quiet. We took the patio table outside. I had the hard shell tacos. The meal comes with Spanish rice, refried beans, and they start you off with home made taco chips and salsa. I chose the ground beef tacos. Topped off with a brew the meal and environment was very good. I've eaten at many "Mexican style" restaurants both in Canada and the U.S. It's inexpensive and delicious and is a definite step up from mass chain Mexican restaurants you might be familiar with. Service was excellent.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ajax, Canada
“Delicious at a great price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

During a week long stay in Victoria that included a few fine dining experiences, we thought Cafe Mexico was the best meal we had! Very inexpensive for delicious, authentic Mexican food. we sat in the outdoor patio in the courtyard and didn't see the inside of the restaurant, but the patio was nice and clean. The service was great, friendly server. The food was yummy! Highly recommend this cute little spot.

Visited September 2011
Victoria, BC, Canada
“you can do better elsewhere for mexican”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

it's a bit of a cheesy atmosphere and they serve mall food court mexican food at best. I don't think the servers really want to be there (at least their attitude both times I've been has suggested this) either. Yes they have the standard margaritas but you could do better at home with your own blender. I am always surprised why so many people seem to want to go there--but probably because it's in a great touristy location that attracts people who think it might be good. Victoria has a lot of good restaurants within walking distance of this place...don't bother!

Visited January 2012
Victoria, Canada
“Cafe what?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is not Mexican food. From someone who has spent months in Mexico, Cafe Mexico is not authentic in any way. Should probably consider a name change, like Taco Bell.

I understand it's hard to emulate the food from a country with many regions of different cuisine, but I’m fairly sure you would not find the food from Cafe Mexico, in Mexico.

Atmosphere is fun and the servers were very nice.

• Visited July 2012