“Kid friendly? Really??” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Brio

Cafe Brio
944 Fort St, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (Harris Green)
250-383-0009
Neighborhood: Harris Green
Victoria, Canada
“Kid friendly? Really??”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

One of my children was on their first sleepover, so my husband and I thought we'd take our youngest out for dine-around. Bringing a 5 year old to a fancy restaurant can be poo-pooed and you certainly get some questionable looks, but fortunately my child is basically an angel in restaurants (just not at home, ha). So we sat in a booth, and as I reached into my purse for a broken pen and scrap of previously hydro bill paper, this lovely young woman appeared at our table with TWO full strips of stickers, a stack of colored paper, and a full cup of felt pens. I think my five year old almost fell over (I'm guessing they don't get many children here??). Anyhow, my husband and I each had the $40 entrees, he had the duck parfait with steak and mash, I had the goats cheese salad and albacore tuna and our little one had the caesar and pasta. We each had dessert, and I we were all completely satisfied. I honestly can't remember when I last had this level of service with a child at my side. The staff are genuine, the food is tasty, the ambience is romantic and beautiful without feeling pretentious. Perfect.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
Wellington, New Zealand
“Awesome way to spend a Friday evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic dine around meal here tonight. I was just on my own and sat up at the bar which was perfect. Calamari, rockfish then brulee, all with wine matches. Lovely effortless service. Thanks for a great night Brio

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Duncan B.C.
“Warm Italian and rustic ambience.Great food and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Each year in late February and early March about 30 restaurants in Victoria take part in a "Dine Out in Victoria" event, presumably to attract custom in the off-season. The place was warm and busy but attention did not drop . We had a $30 dollar three course meal, with three choices for each course. Food was very well prepared and attractively served. Ingredients are all locally sourced I believe . Wine list impressive with many local wines among the imported. We had a great evening.

Visited February 2013
Victoria, Canada
“Cosy good quality meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband & I decided to try this restaurant for the first time with my in-laws who were visiting from UK. All the dishes were good quality, made with fresh local produce and nicely presented. Between us, we had the potato soup with smoked salmon and mixed vegetable platter for starters. Our entrees were Venison, 2 Osso Bucco and local Sole. We finished off by sharing the Sticky Date Toffee Pudding and Creme Brulee. Every dish was made the way we had expected and served hot to the table.

The only downside was that the wait staff didn't always know what was in things and had to double check lots of ingredients with the kitchen, even after the food had come to the table. The venison meal was ordered without cabbage on the plate, yet arrived with LOTS of cabbage - still ok, but he didn't listen to our order correctly. We also inquired about a couple of food allergies but were served the dish before the waiter actually went to check the content of the dish. It was a bit weird for a high end restaurant.

When we asked about fresh mint for tea, we were told that they 'didn't have any in the establishment' which we also thought was strange, since the did have a bar & most bars use fresh mint in drinks. Also, it's an upscale restaurant, so they really should carry fresh mint for tea!

Having said all this, we were happy with our meal overall & plan to return to this restaurant to try other things on the menu.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Delta, Canada
“Lovely!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We recently enjoyed a late night dinner at the Cafe Brio and would recommend this lovely intimate spot to anyone visiting Victoria. Friendly staff, a delightful menu and very nice selection of wines. Prices were reasonable for the high quality service and dining experience. Try the mussels!

Visited February 2013