“An absolutely perfect hotel for a perfect stay in Victoria.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Oswego Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added The Oswego Hotel to your Saves list
The Oswego Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Oswego Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 5C1, Canada   |
Ranked #7 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
El Dorado Hills, California
“An absolutely perfect hotel for a perfect stay in Victoria.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

I originally booked this hotel online and because of a computer problem (of mine) I mistakenly booked my arrival on 26 May instead of 26 July, 2010. When I failed to show, the hotel called me to ask if I had changed plans. I recognized the mistake immediately and the staff very politely changed the reservation for me and even confirmed it by email. They were extraordinarily helpful and professional.

The hotel called itself a boutique, luxury hotel and I have to agree with this designation. It is located in the St. James area of Victoria about one block from the Seattle Ferries dock on the Inner Harbour. It is within easy walking distance of the Parliament buildings, the Fairmont Empress hotel and downtown. It is also a short walk to the ocean and the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Our check-in was perfect in every way and even picked up an apple from the offering at the reception desk. I was surprised to find a basket of them in our room. During my entire stay the hotel staff was extremely helpful and courteous. They never failed to assist us make reservations and recommendations for restaurants.

The suite was nicely furnished and I liked the overhead fans although my fiancé was a bit ambivalent about them. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have slept in, anywhere. Because the hotel is in a quiet area near the Inner Harbour it was peacefully quiet too.

We also loved the bathroom with slate floors and both a shower and bath. The lighting was good, the towels thick and soft and even the robes were quite luxurious although the robe was small for me.

The restaurant and bar were also excellent. We had both breakfast and dinner in the hotel and never regretted it. We particularly liked the smaller portions offered together with reasonable prices. There was life jazz music in the bar area on Wednesday night.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends and colleagues alike. It was a much, much better choice than the Empress hotel where I have stayed before. I will stay here again, this is for sure.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to complete the online review with respect to your recent perfect stay at the Oswego.

We are so glad that you had a wonderful time with us. It means alot to the team to receive words of praise and satisfaction, as they are very hardworking and a truly dedicated team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
kauai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Absolute value. We stayed here one night and splurged on the better rated Abigails, and liked this much better. Within walking distance to food and attractions, large contemporary rooms, friendly service. If I go back to Victoria I would definitely choose Oswego again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
We are so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Oswego. Thank you for taking the time to complete a review online - your review will be forwarded to the team.

We hope that you will include the Oswego next time you are in Victoria.
Langley City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

My wife and I stayed overnight at the Oswego and were thoroughly satisfied. From check-in, and the initial welcome we were extremely impressed by the warmth of the front desk staff. Our suite was beautiful and the ammenities (special touches like apples in the room, the fruit infused water in the lobby and the luxurious robes) were fantastic.

We would not hesitate to recommend the Oswego to our friends and family. A special shout out to Christian who went out of his way to make our stay memorable.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Oswego for a couple of nights during our vacation. The hotel is located downtown just a couple of blocks from the BC parliament, and the harbour and shopping is within a 10 - 15 minute walk. Although "downtown", the area was very quiet and it was great to be able to walk everywhere. There was a grocery store within a 15 - 20 minute walk.

When we got to our room we were pleasantly surprised with the soft music playing in the CD player; the room was immaculate. We loved having the amenities of a small kitchen, since breakfast was not included in our stay. We didn't do any cooking, although the kitchen was equipped with pots, pans, dishes, utensils, stove and dishwasher.

As noted on other reviews, the TV location wasn't ideal, as you couldn't swivel it to face a chair. I found the bed to be more firm than what I like, however, my husband was ok with it. We were very pleased overall with the room; the furniture looked new and it was very clean.

We had booked the hotel room through Expedia and got a pretty good deal.

If you are heading to Victoria you have to go on a whale watching tour. We saw several Orca, just about 50 feet from our boat. While it looked exciting to go on a Zodiac, we took a larger boat and found that it was quite cold on the water. Don't take the morning tour, since we were informed that in the morning they have to locate where the pods are, so the afternoon tours they generally know where to find them.

We would definitely stay at the Oswego again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

The nicest hotel I've ever stayed in! Beautifully appointed rooms, and 5- star service. Everyone is extremely polite, friendly & helpful. Dining room food was excellent. A true " boutique " hotel. I'd recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed June 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to complete an online review about your recent stay with us at the Oswego. We are so pleased that you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the hotel and staff so much. Your comments will be passed on to the team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Oswego when your plans next bring you to Victoria.
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

We were extremely pleased with our stay at the Oswego. It's just a couple of short blocks from the Clipper ferry to/from Seattle, and an easy walk to the Inner Harbour once we ditched our luggage. Every member of the staff we dealt with was eager to be of service. The room was tastefully decorated and had everything we needed (except for a luggage stand oddly, though we didn't bother to ask for one). Our only quibble was that the WiFi was incompatible with our iPod Touch; use of the computer in the "Business Center" was free though. Plenty of free street parking around on the weekend.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Booked via hotels.com with very little research, what a result. Perfect location on a quiet side street 1 minutes walk from the harbour area in Victoria. Good size room and bathroom with an amazingly well equipped kitchen. Paid £300 for 3 nights which comparied to lot of other places we stayed in Canada was great value for the money.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Oswego Hotel? Share your experiences!