“Favourite hotel in Victoria!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Oswego Hotel

You added The Oswego Hotel to your Saves list
The Oswego Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Oswego Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 5C1, Canada   |
Ranked #7 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Vancouver, Canada
“Favourite hotel in Victoria!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

We have been to many well rated hotel, including the Fairmont Empress, but we found the Oswego by far the best. The rooms are spacious and beautiful and have many appliances and facilities. The bathrooms also had lots of space. Many of the rooms also have extremely comfortable pull out sofas. The hotel does not have a swimming pool but offers a wide variety of spa treatments and in room dining. One thing that was impressive was that room service came by just to give us some complimentary refreshments. I look forward to visiting the Oswego hotel again!

Very down to earth and low-keyed. Not too showy. Free (unlimited) wifi on multiple devices!

We thank the hotel for getting us in on the busiest weekend in Victoria

Room Tip: The 2-bedroom deluxe suites are excellent! We had room 809 facing west with a beautiful view, and we...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Wow - thank you for your wonderful comments - I will ensure they are passed onto the team.

Service and listening to our guests to ensure that each and everyone have a memorable stay with us is very important. We definitely give little touches to make our guests feel extra special.

Please come back and visit us again so we can continue to give you great service and standards that you are used to when staying with us.

Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

This is a lovely boutique hotel in the centre of Victoria. Walking distance to all the sites. I booked this hotel for 7 nights for a business trip. The small touches make the biggest difference, a very clean hotel, and it shows. Nightly turn down service with a chocolate on your pillow, mint infused water in a carafe, and tranquil music to send you off in a slumber....unfortunately, the Seagulls will keep you awake. They don't stop squaking until 10 pm and resume again at 4 am. Not having a decent nights sleep makes for a gruelling work day.(7 nights) Normally air conditioners can provide white noise, but this hotel does not have air conditioning in all rooms. The workout room was small, no space for mats, and no more than 2 people would be comfortable. We did eat at the OBistro for dinner , the food was fabulous, and Wednesday was a live Jazz duo, very classy. Would I stay there again? There are a lot of hotels in this area, next time I'll ensure my room is air conditioned, as ear plugs didn't work for me.

Room Tip: Get a room with air conditioning!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Thank you for your recent review.

We are pleased that overall you very much enjoyed the service, details and level of cleanliness at the hotel.

Our climate in Victoria does not normally warrant air conditioning however we have had a particular hot summer this year and some guests including yourself have found not enough air even with windows and doors open.

We live on the coast and we recognize that wildlife also live here. The Seagulls are very prevalent in the summer months but, they are everywhere throughout the city and their noise cannot be controlled by the hotel. I am sorry that they kept you awake during the night.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay with us again and perhaps to enjoy another Wednesday night Jazz night with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

This hotel exceeded our expectations. It is clean, modern, the staff were extremely helpful, and it is in a great location. Our room was clean and spacious and had everything we would need. Shortly after arriving, the staff called our room to see if we liked it and if there was anything more they could do. The restaurant was excellent, with again amazing service and live music. Fresh fruit is offered in the lobby and in our room. We would absolutely recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review.

It is important to us how our guests enjoy their stay with us. Our details on service and standards ensure that we can deliver this and we listen to our guests both positively and negatively so that they have a wonderful stay at the Oswego.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay with us again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival we were given a room on the lobby floor (110). Coming up from the parking garage we exited the elevator, but couldn't find a way to get to our room so we asked the front desk. The bellhop then tells us that getting to our room is a little awkward, I laughed and thought he was joking. To my surprise he wasn't. He proceeded to take us through the restaurant, around the bar to a back hallway which led past the kitchen around a corner to our room. At this point I'm in complete disbelief. The room was very dark but spacious with vaulted ceilings. The patio backed on to the restaurant where the smell of the food and seagull droppings were the first things that I smelled and saw.
My wife and I agreed that this room just wasn't going to do, so we headed back with our luggage past the kitchen, around the bar, and trough the restaurant to the lobby. I explained to the front desk that we would like a different room and why. They then told me that they were full and I would have to do an upgrade to a two bedroom for another 100$, we agreed and headed to our room via the elevator to the third floor. Upon entering the room we were much happier. The room was much better, and the patio was large , and there was no smell of food. I decided I would jump in the shower before my wife and I went out for dinner. Upon entering the shower I couldn't believe my eyes.... All long the floor to the entrance of the shower was black mould ,up into the corner of the baseboard. Being that it's a two bedroom, their were two bathrooms so I checked to see if the other one was in the same condition... It was!
I decided to do a more extensive look at the condition of the room. The room is in need of a new paint job and every piece of furniture had scratches on it. It was like renting a used apartment. A 4 star hotel doesn't operate like this!
At this point we didn't want to move to another room besides there were no more rooms available. Early the next morning (6:30)My wife and I were awaken by sunlight beaming through our very cheap no name horizontal blinds. (a 4 star hotel should have Hunter Douglas blinds period!) After getting ready I went down to negotiate with the front desk. I asked how the Oswego hotel how they could pride themselves on being a 4 star hotel with a hotel room that has black mould and explained my dissatisfaction. I showed her the pictures I took and expressed that I did not want to pay the up grade fee of 100$ or my parking of 15$ . She said that she was very sorry and all she would be able to do is wave the 100$ upgrade fee. Something is better than nothing, so I agreed. I'm am not posting this review to hurt the Oswego hotels reputation , I am posting this because something needs to be done about making sure a four star hotel acts like a four star hotel, especially in appearance. I stay in many 4 and 5 star hotels every year so I know what I should expect. This hotel is in need of some TLC throughout. Other than that it was a great location. I wouldn't go back until I know they have changed though.

• Stayed August 2014
As I write a response to your review, I am disappointed and at this point I can only apologize for what you encountered whilst staying with us. As noted on previous reviews this is not the norm nor is it acceptable. I understand that you have already spoken with my Manager on duty and compensation was given. I will also be following up directly with you.

Unfortunately we cannot change the location of 2 of our suites. They are on a quieter side of the hotel yet it cannot be altered with the access to these suites. Some of our guests enjoy the location and the high ceilings and bright suites and others like yourselves find they want to be closer to the other guests.

After a very busy summer season some of our suites are requiring extra attention due to multiple guests staying with us. All suites are inspected regularly by myself and the maintenance team. Further attention will be given to this suite so that other guests do not encounter any similar issues.

Again I would like to reiterate our high standards of cleanliness and upkeep of the rooms. This will be addressed with the housekeeping department and also our maintenance team.

Kind regards

Suzanne Gatrell
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

This new Hotel is first class ! I visit my parents in Victoria B.C. Biannually and stay here. The hotel is modern , clean , the staff goes beyond the call of duty to ensure a great stay . You are greeted at the door ( indeed at your car ) with friendly service . Fresh fruit is offered as well as the hotel chef's refreshing infused water as soon as you are in the door . Front desk staff are top notch , bellman refused a tip ( made him take one lol) . The rooms ( we had a one bedroom suite) are spacious and well appointed with flat screen TV's , full stainless kitchen , large bathroom with full sized tub & steam shower. Lots of storage space. Full windows and balcony with table & chairs . Breakfast bar with stools inside. Pull out extra bed. Beds are new and firm , furnishings clean and modern . Full 5 star dinning in room or the restaurant below . Underground parking if needed. Globe and mail newspaper comes in the AM . Rooms cleaned every day , turn down service as well ( with that chocolate on your pillow & mint infused water carafe by your bed) . This hotel has rooms for many or just one . I even one time brought my dog , tho not all rooms allow pets. Lovely breakfast can be ordered in at a reasonable fee , wine & bottled water can be purchased in room . Coffee and tea are free ( we stuffed our full size fridge with items from a close local supermarket). Happy staff remember your name & are fun and courteous. Overall I know this well placed hotel is worth your money to stay at . Within walking of downtown shops, restaurants , Museums, movie theatres & night life . James bay has water tours , whale watching , fishing . As well as a short walk to the ocean . I can't stress enough how great The Oswego is . A 5 star experience for not a lot of money , rates are competitive and reasonable . In summer only studio apartments are air conditioned. I was given a fan & soon learned leaving my window open brought a fresh sea breeze . Also spa treatments are available in your room ! Thanks to The Oswego for always welcoming my family & myself ! Renée Oswald

Room Tip: Picking a room to the left side for cool air . Front for view , right side for harbour view . Pet fr...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you Mrs. Oswald for your loyalty and wonderful comments. They mean so much and I will definitely pass onto the amazing Oswego team

We know that there are many choices of hotels in Victoria and by reading your review and the five star details you mentioned, we understand why you keep returning to us. We want all of our guests like yourselves to have awesome stay and the team ensure this happens on many levels.

We value you as our hotel guest and look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again and again in the near future.

BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Second time staying here and feels like home away from home. Rooms are clean, spacious and have everything. Proximity to downtown and the inner harbour is so convenient. Restaurant is more than just a hotel restaurant. And service is outstanding. Would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have ocean views.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Wow - thank you! Your comments are fantastic and we are so pleased you have enjoyed your repeat stays with us.

Come back and visit us again soon so we can continue to ensure you have a wonderful stay and let you know how much we value you as our hotel guest

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Stayed one night at this modern but boutique-style hotel. Our spacious studio suite was nicely appointed with a well-equipped kitchenette and great bathroom. Weather was hot and the room had only a portable A/C unit that was completely inadequate so it made sleeping difficult. Would be much better in cooler weather. Location can't be beat. Just a block from the Inner Harbour and many of the best activities Victoria has to offer. Our room had a view of the Parliament Buildings. Room price was very competitive for a mid-summer high-season stay. Parking is extra charge but reasonable and very secure. Staff was pleasant and efficient. Will look forward to returning in future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Upon reading your review I noted that you stayed in one of our Studio suites. A small portion of these suites do not have balconies and therefore portable air-conditioning units are placed in each suite during the summer months. All other suites have both ceiling fans, stand up fans and all windows and doors open.

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again perhaps during the fall and winter when the weather is cooler.

Thank you!

Been to The Oswego Hotel? Share your experiences!