“Absolutely the BEST!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Albion Manor Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria
Albion Manor Bed and Breakfast
You added Albion Manor Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
224 Superior Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 1T3, Canada (James Bay)   |
Ranked #2 of 110 Victoria B&B and Inns
Winnipeg, Canada
“Absolutely the BEST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

May, 2013. I have just returned from my annual visit to Victoria and the STUNNING ALBION MANOR. Every year there is something added, some new fabulous artwork by Fernando, a new gardening adventure by Don and always the fascinating conversations with both of them. When I leave my home in Winnipeg to go to the Manor, I know that I am going to my other home. This beautiful B & B is so close to everything - downtown, tons of restaurants, Fisherman's Wharf where you will find some great seafood, consignment shops and much, much more. This B & B is ideal for everyone - a weekend trip to Victoria, a honeymoon (incredible rooms, so romantic - Fernando is currently painting the ceilings in all of the bathrooms with his fabulous style and imagination), an anniversary or simply a little get away. You will find that when you enter this magical B & B, stroll through the gardens and absorb the amazing artwork in the house and ON the house, that your heart is happier and your soul is soothed. Albion Manor, along with Don and Fernando are part of what makes Victoria so special. It is truly magical.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Pedro de Alberni would have stayed here, given the chance!

This wonderful B&B just gets better - gluten-free choices, and now a refurbished 'royal' room with an Elizabethan bed!

We saw squirrels and a raccoon in the lovely garden, too.

Room Tip: We like the Seville which has a lounge and kitchen - very convenient.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Carpets, tapestries, pictures, paintings, antiques, and humorous art pieces, impressive! One made me laugh and so I asked the host – Fernando where in the world did you find that piece? Well he didn’t find it, he had created it along with all the other ones that were ‘a little eccentric’ that we would find as we explored the rooms. All sorts of things from brass Buddha like hands to miniature children’s dolls. Not all to our tastes but much to be fascinated with and entertained by.

Our room was clean, decorated with tapestries and weavings and very quiet. The carved foot and headboards went along with the carpets – the bed itself was comfortable. The claw tub interesting but the modern shower was more to my taste.

It is a 5 to 10 minute walk to downtown Victoria along the edge of the harbour. The neighbourhood is filled with older style homes in keeping with the history of the area. We learned of the home and how it came to be a B&B as it evolved over the years. Fernando provided good guidance for restaurants, we chose The Superior a block or so away and were pleased with the recommendation.

Coffee waited for us in the parlour and then exactly on time we were invited in for breakfast - a feast of fruit compote followed by a wonderful Spanish frittata with salmon, mushrooms and shrimp – we didn’t need lunch! The next morning the fruit dish was a colourful mixture of melons and berries followed by some sort of lemon fluffy ‘pancake’ that was nothing like any pancake I have ever had – delightful.

Room Tip: They were all interesting as we arrived early and had a chance to peak around.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I haven't ever stayed at a B&B before but we really enjoyed the Albion Manor in Victoria. We were sad to find out that Don and Fernando weren't there but Lindsey and Thomas took great care of us. I was always apprehensive about a B&B but it was the perfect blend of hominess and privacy. It was a great treat to have fine dining for breakfast!! Very delicious! Lindsey is a fabulous chef in the making. We stayed in the Renoir room and it was very quiet and spacious with the added sun room. I appreciated the security and cleanliness of Albion Manor not to mention the never ending supply of homemade chocolate chip cookies! Lindsey was great and helped me surprise my husband with a bottle of champagne chilling in the room when we got back from the museum. We had lots of fun and great food at the Irish Times Pub which is within walking distance. We highly recommend the Albion Manor and they have set a very high bar for other B&B's to follow.

Room Tip: The Renior room has a king bed and a patio!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I won a one night stay at this place at a fundraising event and so we decided to use it and add a second night to celebrate our 1st Year Wedding Anniversary at a weekend getaway to Victoria. At the time of booking on their website, I had pre-ordered a bottle of champagne and a dozen red roses. It was a bit chaotic upon our arrival as there was a photographer at the house along with who appeared to be the owners taking photos of the Xmas decorations. We were not really greeted at all but we were given a room key and shown to the room door. With the confusion, it wasn't until that night that I remembered the pre-order of champagne and roses. However by this time we had already left for our dinner reservations.The room itself was big enough but the entertainment system was limited and the TV itself quite small. It had been a long time since I stayed in a B&B and I forgot about the communal breakfast everyone must endure at staying at these places. When we arrived for breakfast, we were the last guests to join in the dinning room. Breakfast was overkill and to have to interact with these strangers was tedious to say the least. The next day, my husband did not even want to have breakfast so I went along only to be served some awful curry dish that I was unable to finish. We checked out as soon as we could and returned home. We were never introduced to the hosts or anyone and when I asked about settling our bill, I was told to see the other chap as he looked after that. After I tracked him down, he checked his register only to discover he had overlooked our pre-order and mumbled something about how he should have read through the reservation, but never making an apology. To add insult to injury, he did not bill my credit card with the second night's room charge for two months following our stay. We realize a lot of people enjoy the ambiance of a B&B but for us, never again and especially never the Albion Manor in Victoria, BC.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ferndon, Owner at Albion Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
In the computer programme that we use to keep track of reservations, in the menu bar at the top, there is an icon that you can use for reminders. It is a finger with a red bow tied around it. On the morning that these guests arrived, the icon flashed and a little message popped up reminding me about the flowers and champagne. Then the photographer arrived (we had been under pressure to get Christmas photos for advertising) and this happened and that happened and I forgot. It’s the first time in 7 years that we missed a special request from a guest. I was horrified. When I realized my mistake, I went to the guest’s room and apologized sincerely, asked if they would still like the champagne and was told not to worry about it, that it wasn’t a problem. Obviously it was. All we can do is offer again our sincere apologies. Forgetting our guest’s special requests is not something we do at Albion Manor.

As for the curry dish, it is the starter dish in a 3 course breakfast and isn’t really a curry dish at all although it does have curry in it. It is however a dish that everyone loves. Guests from Israel emailed recently to request the recipe for a special occasion they were having at home and reported later that it had been a great success. The idea is that you add a bit of curry, but an amount so small that, although you can taste it you aren’t really sure what it is- just enough to enhance the fruit flavours and make it intriguing. Which is the reaction of most guests: “What spice is in this?” So, for 3 1/2 kilos of fruit (I use pineapple, mango and papaya- don’t use citrus fruits, oranges etc., they make it too acidic). Stew the fruit for a while but don’t let it boil, take off some of the excess liquid and then add 1 tablespoon of Madras curry. It has to be Madras. That’s it. Add a bit of vanilla yogurt on top and you’re done.

At Albion Manor, we are constantly amazed by the diversity and dynamic personality of our guests. Breakfast is of course one of the highlights of any stay at a B&B. Guests talk and chatter, sharing stories of travels, families, politics (always a lively discussion), in fact any subject that people talk about when they get together. The atmosphere is always friendly and happy and sometimes quite lively. For some reason these guests didn’t feel at home at Albion Manor. Again, our sincerest apologies.

We greet all of our guests with warmth and friendship and will continue to so do. And be assured that, after forgetting one special request, we will be on our toes to make sure it never happens again.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This place is truly unique. It is clear that Don & Fernando have poured their hearts and souls into this place, with all the interesting details and fine craftsmanship. They are both talented artists and world travelers, and there is an interesting story to tell in every corner. What a delight it is to see Fernando's lovely paintings and quirky sculptures, appearing sometimes when you least expect it. They are gracious hosts, genuinely eager for you to make the most of your stay in Victoria. How nice to meet business owners who put this much care into what they do. My room was charming, clean and beautifully decorated. The bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Go for the room with the cherub on the bathroom ceiling.....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Port Moody, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Albion Manor is one of the B&Bs in the group, Victoria's Historic Inns. It is a large mansion built in the early 1900s by a wealthy resident. Owners, Fernando and Don, have renovated it and lovingly collected period furniture for the rooms, their living quarters, and the carriage house. They have also completely re-landscaped the gardens, which are charming and tranquil.
Fernando is an artist and has a wonderful sense of humour that is reflected in the choice of artwork inside: both of the period and his own funky and very amusing pieces. His miniature paintings on railings and other out of the way places on the outside of this house charmed me. Albion is a mix of old and new, traditional and unusual. Bathrooms are modern ensuites.
Don is the chef and breakfasts here are magnificent - his lemon pancakes are the best I've ever eaten. Guests eat at a gigantic Victorian dining table in community.
Centrally located to all the sites of Victoria, Albion is on a quiet residential street.
The hosts are very gracious, knowledgeable, and helpful - talk to them!
It was a wonderful experience to stay here - wish it had been longer!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Albion Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!