“A must-see if you are interested in nature” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Victoria Bug Zoo

Victoria Bug Zoo
631 Courtney Street, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (Downtown)
+1 250-384-2847
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 57 Attractions in Victoria
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to the amazing world of insects and spiders. A visit to this must-see miniature zoo offers visitors an excellent opportunity to view and experience multi-legged creatures from around the world in a safe, fun and friendly atmosphere. Get up close and personal with LIVE giant walkingsticks, alien-eyed praying mantids, hairy tarantulas and glow-in-the-dark scorpions, to name a few. Discover over 50 fascinating species including Canada's largest ant farm. The knowledgeable "bug guides" will reveal the exotic secrets of this hidden kingdom and provide a safe animal handling experience for the more adventurous. Imagine holding a tickling 400 leg millipede that stretches the length of your forearm! Bring your camera. It's an unforgettable, hands-on adventure. While in Victoria be sure to crawl, fly or wriggle your way to the Victoria Bug Zoo!
Bellevue, WA
“A must-see if you are interested in nature”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

A favorite that the kids (and frankly, Mom and Dad) look forward to on every visit to Victoria. Very close/easy walk from just about anywhere.

The bugs are just amazing -- exotic, weird, alien... And the staff is good at explaining them, although don't expect long conversations with crowds of little tykes waiting their turn to touch/hold some of them.

I could have stayed half the day, but unless it's a movie, our kids' attention span is 1 hr tops. One hour is about the right amount of time for a family with young ones to budget here.

Tip #1: You'll get more out of it if you listen to the two guides give their spiels on each bug.

Tip #2: Be brave, go for the millipede mustache (have the camera ready)!

Every reasonably sized city should have a bug zoo, but since they don't, don't miss this one.

Toronto Ontario
13 attraction reviews
“your kids will love this one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

Although we had no kids to bring with us, being a bug fanatic I thought I would check out the Bug Zoo while in downtown Victoria.

The price was $8.00 per adult, but after touring the zoo I felt the admission fee was well worth it. What's great about the zoo is that, although seemingly small, there are always two tour guides going through their paces, each on opposite sides of the zoo. You can pick up the tour at any point, and follow along for as long as you like. The tour guides were great on giving all kinds of educational information, and they willingly allowed kids (and non-queasy adults like myself) to hold the "safe" bugs in our hands.

Although you will probably only spend an hour here, it is well worth a visit.

Richmond
3 attraction reviews
“Got to know them better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

I dun like crawly things....but it was very VERY interesting to see insects sooo close but knowing that you are safe. Get to hold the spiders and stuff if you want to (I chickened out...but other people were really fond of touching cockroaches and other stuff). Our guide was really fun. I read reviews before I went so I new that the bug zoo was going to be only 2 rooms....so I wasn't that dissapointed! I was prepared for that disapointment but good thing it WAY better than I expected! The exibition was in a well lit room so don't worry, nothing will creep up behind you all of a sudden, that's not the point of the zoo.

I loved the Bug Zoo!

Reading, England
15 attraction reviews
“Bugs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2007

A smaller attraction but very interesting, the staff are very knowledgeable.

They let you hold some of the creatures which is very cool. Various, spiders, scorpions and stick insects, millipeades.

This is the best attraction in Victoria in my opinion.

Boston
3 attraction reviews
“Not for the squeamish!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

My husband and I decided to go to the bug zoo unsure of what to expect. When we entered we a bit taken aback at how small the place actually was and our initial thoughts were that it was a bust! However, we decided to join one of the two interactive tours, which is a MUST. The guide was great and very knowledgeable about all of the insects on display. As we visited various displays, she allowed all of the willing guest to hold or touch the bugs. Additionally she was extremely patient with the young children and encouraged them to interact with her and the bugs. Although it is a short attraction (an hour at most) we definitely recommend this zoo especially for children.