“Simply Lovely” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #166 of 1,107 Restaurants in Victoria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, Australian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Casual fine dining in the heart of fernwood
Vancouver, Canada
“Simply Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This Mainlander enjoyed a lovely Saturday Brunch with friends. If you enjoy simply clean eating you must try the Salmon it cured in house a reminded me of a delicate gravlax it was served on a bed of perfectly steamed asparagus with free range (meduim soft) Poached eggs, truffle oil, Shaved parmesan and a spinich puree. It was simply a lovely brunch that didn't make feel like i want to go take a nap. Thank you!!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver
“really wanted to like this place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We went in with fairly high expectations having read previous reviews and hearing they had been nominated in the EnRoute magazine list of best new restaurants in Canada, but with an open mind knowing dining is a subjective experience. Sadly, we were dissapointed enough to know we won't return.
First the good: the atmosphere and the service could not be faulted. We called to reserve on a weeknight and got a nice table at the front of the restaurant. It is a small bistro so seating is tight but this wasn't an issue. Where the night fell short for us was in the most important part of the experience:the food!

The bad: My duck confit cassoulet sounded fantastic on the menu but was really just an overly large portion of white beans in a tomato based sauce that was nothing special. The duck skin was nice and crispy as you would expect but the meat was another story. Confit should be tender and fall off the bone meat, I had to yank the meat off with my knife for each bite. The proportions were just wrong. Also I find it very frustrating when an ingredient is mentioned prominently in the description of the menu item and ends up being a teaspoon sized garnish, as the fennel was in this dish. So really I had a huge plate of beans with a poorly executed piece of duck on top.
But this wasn't the worst of it. For dessert I ordered the pumpkin gingerbread mille feuille, what a surprise that was. Call me crazy but I expected a mille feuille (thousand leaves), a layered dessert of flaky pastry and pastry cream. Instead I got what could have been store-bought gingersnaps layered with a pumpkin filling that could have been straight out of the can. For $8 this was a joke!
I never complain in restaurants but feel you can only give a poor review if you let the restaurant know what's wrong and give them the opportunity to fix it. So in this case I mentioned both the tough duck and the misleadingly named dessert to our server and this is the only place where the service fell short as there was no attempt on their part to improve my experience on this. At the price point of this restaurant I shouldn't leave knowing I could have cooked better food at home.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gresham, OR
“Very interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Dined at lunch time. We had the sourdough bread to begin. It had apricots woven throughout and was served with olive oil for dipping. Excellent. My husband ordered the pasta; it was light, flavorful, and tasty. I had the steak with fresh green beans which was excellent. We had Malbec by the glass which was also very good. Our server was attentive and efficient. She checked with us often and answered questions about some of the more unusual menu items.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
victoria
“First time with expectations...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Nice ambiance and on the smaller side as far as number of seats go. We were a table of 4 with an 8 pm resy.
We had some expectations as they were just written up in Enroute magazine. Server not overly attentive. I believe he was french. With four of us we were able to try a few items. The goats cheese Souffle as a starter was excellent. The Haloumi (cheese) not so much. The mussels were good but not out of the ordinary and the duck liver pate was also tasty.
For mains the "flat iron" steak was served as "pre cut" pieces which i wasn't expecting and seemed like a small potion for the price. (i would have ordered the confit short ribs but they were all out) The sable fish was excellent!
One of the highlights of the night was the Louis Martini Cab Sav, from Napa.it was excellent. Overall very good wine list....Would like to try again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Westminster, BC
“Delicious Food a Bit Pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a Saturday brunch here. Decor was pleasant and funky. Just before 2 pm it was not crowded. The serrver was young and pleasant. My companion ordered coffee and we both ordered the "Big Breaky". When the coffee arrived, my companion noticed the white coffee cup was badly stained with a baked-on dark stain covering one entire side of the cup. He walked back to the server and told her. She apologized. She brought another coffee in a clean cup. The food was very tasty. Roasted tomatoes -- so sweet, hash browns, eggs and bacon. Sourdough toast was ok, kind of dry (could have used some jam). The mushrooms were delicious. The portion size was not large, despite the "big" moniker. It was on an adequate portion size. One complaint we had was that since the coffee cup was dirty, we should have at least received a face-to-face at-the-table apology from the manager. Better still, how about comping the coffee?

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere