“Good stay for what we paid!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites

You added Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites to your Saves list
Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   791 Pandora Avenue, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1N9, Canada (Downtown)   |
Special Offer
Stay 7 Nights for 6!
Calgary, Canada
“Good stay for what we paid!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

We stayed in a Mini Double and didn't realize from the photo on the website just how MINI it was! Although we would definitely splurge on a slightly larger room next time, it was a great stay. The location is as good as you could ask for and the staff were incredibly helpful.

It was always very clean and obviously well taken care of although the building was obviously one of the older ones in the city.

I would absolutely come back and recommend this hostel to any of my family and friends looking for a reasonably priced place to stay in downtown Victoria.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

This is a great hostel. The staff are very friendly and helpful (I believe they were mostly fellow travelers themselves so they know how fellow backpackers like to be treated). The place itself is very lively with a good vibe and while the building may not be the most modern I thought the funky paint and decorations in the rooms really worked and was fun. We had a private room which was small but adequate. There are plenty of bathrooms with showers so even if the nearest one is occupied you can usually find a vacant one a bit further down the corridor. This place have a small cafe/bar area downstairs and they serve very tasty food for very reasonable prices which is obviously great for those traveling on a budget. The hostel is situated close to some sort of Salvation Army place so there are sometimes scruffy homeless people wandering about on the street. However they never bothered us and the main centre of town is just a short walk away. If visiting Victoria you should definitely stay here. We would definitely go back here as it was easily the best Canadian hostel we stayed in (and we stayed in quite a lot this summer).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

Awesome crowd, wonderful attentive staff, creative spaces and excellent breakfast. Even though the rooms are small, they are painted in eye catching color combinations. The hotel is walking distance to the core of the city and we enjoyed our stay and the yummy food from the kitchen staff. Will be back.

Moose Jaw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

Friendly staff, but noisy in the room I stayed in. I had earplugs and it was not a big bother. Sociable travelers in the dining area. I will return again when I visit Victoria. Small bathrooms, but kept clean daily and so are the rooms. Sink and fridge inside the rooms which makes it a bonus. Walking distance to many stores downtown and a grocery store. Unfortunately no air conditioner, but overall great experience.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Victoria, bc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

I stayed two nights. The first one I was in a female dorm. I thought it would be ok, but it turned out to be really weird sharing a room with 5 other women. I think it would have been fine when I was 18, but as a 30 year old mother of two it probably wasn't the best idea! I had a top bunk and I couldn't help but remember that the last time I did that I was about 6 yrs old :) The bed was really shaky and creaky. Made me feel a bit like an elephant!
I upgraded to a mini private room for the second night and that was a way better fit.
Wireless internet is great, got a very good signal on the third floor.
Food was pretty good and very reasonable.
I was staying there for work; I am commuting from far away and I thought that with the current construction on the highway staying overnight in Victoria would be a good idea.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I stayed at this hostel for 2 nights.... we had a privite room.. it was TINY (would NOT be good for a couple that is backpacking around the world with big bags... since we could barely fit and we only had tiny backpacks)...... it is a super old hostel, but it was clean and had a great atmosphere... the staff was super friendly and you got a great exersise walking up the stairs..... The only problem was that every floor has a door that people have to go through to get to their rooms, and all through the night it was slamming shut..... would have been nice to have one of those slow closing doors so we didnt have to hear that... but otherwise it was good

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I've stayed here every time I've visited Victoria so no local comparisons to give:
BUT I've stayed in many other hostels elsewhere and this place is great.

A private room for you and partner is very affordable and feels safe and nice.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites? Share your experiences!