“Sorry - I wouldn't know where to put the other group” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Trutch Manor Tourist Suites

Trutch Manor Tourist Suites
You added Trutch Manor Tourist Suites to your Saves list
Trutch Manor Tourist Suites
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   621 Trutch Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 4C3, Canada (Fairfield)   |
Ranked #51 of 110 Victoria B&B and Inns
“Sorry - I wouldn't know where to put the other group”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I booked two rooms at Trutch Manor for my family to stay while visiting for my graduation. I appreciate the reviews on this sight because I decided to follow-up the night prior to check-in and confirm my booking. I called, emailed and finally located Sherrin at her house. She had in fact booked a yoga group in one of the rooms I had booked a month earlier. She wouldn't honour my booking because she said she would have no idea where to put the other people. She suggested putting my family, three seniors, in some cabin with no shower. She apologized blaming some new system she was using. According to trip advisor, these missed booking have happened to several people, so I doubt the apology was sincere. At 12:00am the night before my family was to arrive, I was calling around to find another place for them. If you don't want to worry whether or not your room has been saved, or you booked a few rooms in order to be together, give Trutch Manor a miss. Coming from out of town, during peak season you may very well find yourself overpaying or pitching a tent out of town. You deserve better and there are plenty of places that already do better.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Imagine your worst travel nightmare: you book a hotel during a time when hotels will be hard to find, only to be told when you arrive that the hotel has no record of your booked, prepaid room. ..and you realize that you just might have to sleep in your car...AND you are giving a presentation at a conference the next morning. This was my experience with Trutch Manor. When I arrived at the Trutch Manor, I was told there no booking for me. I showed them the confirmation e-mail, but they insisted that they had no record of any booking. This was a huge problem because all the hotels in Victoria were booked because of an annual conference that draws thousands of people.

When I arrived at the conference the next day, a colleague told me that the exact same thing had happened to him...with the same guest house: Trutch Manor. He was scrambling around at 11:00PM looking for a room when all the rooms in the city were booked.

Bad form, Trutch Manor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Campell River B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I don't usually stay in B&B's but a friend recommended that I give Trutch Manor a try, I'm glad I did. It wasn't a bedroom, it was like having my own apartment, complete with kitchen. It's nice that its off the busy streets but within easy staggering distance from the local nightlife.
Sherrin the owner was great to deal with and I will definately be going back again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Friday Harbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

After reading some of the bad reviews for Trutch Manor, and already sulky because Craigmyle B&B -- to which I'd been coming for about twelve years -- had been sold and the new owners didn't respond to emails, I entered my assigned room prepared to be disappointed. First of all, Sherrin, the owner, was not on the premises, just as predicted in the unfavorable reviews; however, her telephone number is posted on a brass plate right by the door bell. Once phoned, she appeared within minutes. Secondly, as in the unfavorable reviews, the room was not completely made up: stacks of towels and bed linen were by the door and I doubt the sheets had been changed on the bed. Again, within minutes Sherrin had everything whipped in shape, all in completely good humor. (I have since decided that in order to run a B&B one must have a rather laid-back attitude; how else could one survive?)
So why five stars after that initial impression? Well, a comfortable bed for a good night's sleep; spacious surroundings (I was in the room called "Parlor"); nice bathroom; fully appointed kitchen; plus, when Sherrin heard that I usually had breakfast at 4AM, she provided the fixings for coffee. Add to this an excellent breakfast served elegantly. My traveling companion was so happy with her room that she asked for it again when we return in February.
Trutch Manor comes not only with the friendly owner Sherrin Pryce, but a charming young housekeeper, Milania, with enough international living experience to communicate with a wide variety of non-Canadian, non-U.S. visitors. It was a matter of less than 24 hours before I had adopted Trutch Manor as my new home-away-from-home. A warning, however, for off-season visitors: Trutch Manor, in keeping with its configuration of housekeeping suites, takes long-term residents; you may find your favorite room already booked.
Additional notes about location: within walking distance of tourist-town and, in the opposite direction, half a mile to a splendid deli/grocery at Cook Street Village.

Room Tip: Check the website for a virtual tour. When you make your reservation, tell Sherrin your needs and s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Wiesbaden, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

the house and the location is nice, the breakfast is great, but...
we arrived to check in at 5pm - like we appointed per mail. When we arrived, nobody was there to let us in and so we had to phone to get the host. she wasn´t availible because her mobile didn´t work, so we had to wait about one hour for her to let us in. the room was full of stuff. the couch, the sideboards and kittchen, everthing was covered with stuff, I didn´t like it because it gave me not a clean feeling. so all in all the B&B is okay but nothing for me!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed at Trutch Manor recently and it was clean and had every thing we needed in the suite, which is appointed in a Victorian period style. The bed was a creaky but comfy double sized bed, and the shower was knee height due to a slanted ceiling. My first thought was "this is great" but then I remembered that I'd payed $130 per night for the privilege of sleeping in the small bed and contorting myself into the shower. Nothing wrong with the room - I just felt that it was over priced.

Sherril the owner is a very nice lady, heart of gold, means well, but consistently forgetful which I found frustrating. Her food was excellent however, and she is cheerful and caring.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

My husband booked a suite, letting the owner know that we would arrive at 10:30 pm. She said she would leave a key under the mat, a post-it on the door, but to find, she said to call her at 10:30. When we arrived, we called... and didn't answer. The only apartment with a key under the door was filthy, with dirty sheets on the bed, and full of cobwebs - is that where we were supposed to stay? We called her nonstop for an hour, leaving messages, but she never called us back.

At 11:30 pm, in a city we had never been in, during tourist season with everything booked, we were stranded. If we hadn't rented a car, we would have slept on the street. Even on Saturday, she never called back to apologize.

In the end, we were extremely fortunate to get referred to a new bed and breakfast that was just starting out, and it was a fabulous experience. Don't bother with Trutch Manor.

Room Tip: My tip is not to stay here, seriously.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Trutch Manor Tourist Suites? Share your experiences!