“Travellers Inn - Bad experience a fluke?” 1 of 5 stars

Traveller's Inn on Douglas
710 Queens Avenue, Victoria, British Columbia V8T 1M3, Canada (Burnside)   |
Ranked #55 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
North Vancouver
“Travellers Inn - Bad experience a fluke?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

We just had a stay at the Travellers Inn, Victoria , BC at Douglas st (710 Queens). I have stayed there before and it was an "ok" hotel condsidering the cost. Most of it is a converted apartment, there are 2 buildings, they seemed to have split the original suites as the rooms i have stayed in were quite small. On this occassion it was less than OK. The cost was no different than most others. On arrival the Desk staff were nice and helpful. Once in the room it absolutely reeked of smoke so bad I called the desk. They made us return to the lobby to get another room , rather than expressing some keys up to us,(the lobby in another building). Once in the new room, it smelled of urine. It was getting late for us and patience wearing thin, we decided to air the room out. But when I went to secure the window it was not lockable in any way. now we couldnt leave anything in the room. In the washroom there was no drain catch in the sink, beware you drop anything !!!! The signage in the foray said there was a pop machine that was no where to be found, the ice machine didnt work. Another very annoying thing was there was only two very thin pillows. I must say after a day of travelling and ending up at hotel like this was so very maddening. I have stayed at quite a few hotels this year, Kelowna, Nelson, Penticton, Phoenix and Tucson and this one absolutely was, for us, atrocious, and we will not be returning. Bad luck or just fluke?

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the smell!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

Our non-smoking room smelled like a dirty ashtray, the TV didn't work and a lamp was missing a bulb. Front desk was informed immediately and they were going to take care of it well the four of us were at dinner. Came back and nothing had been done. Front desk phoned at 11pm to apologize and offer another room. I was already in bed and unable to move all the gear for four people.

We didn't have time to change rooms the next day due to an early race start. Came back after housekeeping had been through and none of our complaints had been taken care of. NONE

I'm not asking much from a budget motel but don't give me a smoking room and call it non-smoking. The rooms are dark and the extra light would have been nice (or scary). Would have liked to watch some TV after getting sick from a bad sandwich from a certain garden.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Smelly Room
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

After staying here, all other budget hotels I've been in seem luxurious!

We stayed there a week in Sept 2007.

The hotel was very shabby. We stayed in a complex down from the reception building; it seemed the farther you got from the reception building the worse it got.

Our building was smelly, the carpets old, the paint thick and garish. It was also very dim and the hallways narrow, so it felt like a horror film set...

And our room was awful; very dingy and cheap-looking (note that we had the cheapest room - perhaps other rooms are better). Barely enough room for the bed, so often it was quicker to throw yourself across the bed than go around it to get to either the door or the bathroom. The bathroom had no fan and the walls were thin.

But my biggest complaint is that it was dirty. I didn't mind the cheapness of the hotel so much - it was the smell and grime. They never once vacuumed our room, and if I hadn't requested it, they wouldn't have washed our bedding all week. I also suspect that the bedding was dirty when we got there. We spent as much time away from our room as possible.

Finally, I found the area creepy and run down.

It is worth paying an extra $50 a night to get a better hotel.

• Liked — at least we had a roof over our heads
  • Disliked — everything!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Prince Albert, SK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Was welcomed proptly and enjoyed a quiet evening without any disturbances, in a larg clean room. The hotel was close to may great attractions, including museums, government buildings, gift shops, resturants, and the merina where there where whale watching tours and the Pacific Undersea Gardens. I would definitly stay at the Travellers Inn on Douglas again.

Stayed August 2007
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

The price was right ! The Hotel was more akin to an apartment than a hotel room. Victoria is not a cheap city to visit so it was nice not having to spend a fortune on our room. I didn't know about this chain of Hotels until I surfed the web, something I do very seldom.However, now that I know of its existence I doubt that I will stay anywhere else when I revisit that city. It is an easy drive to the downtown core. However, if you enjoy walking, go for it. We did precisely that every day.Enjoy!
H. Robbie
Richmond,BC
Canada

Stayed May 2007
Vancouver, BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

Tip: You can get $20 off the listing price if you mention the online price, or if you grab a coupon from the many brochure stands in the ferry terminals or around town.

This hotel is neither great or terrible. It is a basic hotel with the basic amenities. It is semi-clean (there were a couple of stains on the chairs, but none on the bed sheets), and there were fresh towels in the bathroom.

Cons:
the extra little things like the bath soap, shampoo/conditioner, and lotion bottles are all generic; nothing fancy.

Even though the location is close to downtown, there are a lot of sketchy people in the area. Please do make sure that you take your valubles with you wherever you go.

Even though I had made a reservation directly with the hotel, they could not find my reservation. If I had not been anal enough to print off a copy of the original email confirmation that they had sent me, I am sure they would have NOT honoured my stay.

I would recommend this hotel if you are staying in the city for one night only.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

I checked out their website; this hotel seemed to be in a great location and had an okay price. But when we got there, it turned out to be almost dumpy--not quite a full dump but very close. The hotel lobby where you check in was nice and flashy but then when we went to the building next door where our room was in, the lobby smelled strongly of grease and oil ! Our room was very dark and featured old furniture. The bathroom had bar soap which is not hygienic. The beds were alright and I did not see any any bugs during our stay. The TV was pretty big and there was ample table space. Overall, the room was very dark and dingy. I pulled out some kleenex from the box provided in our room and found some to have blue stains--so I pulled out more and more and found the stains to be getting larger and larger. I have a feeling that the housekeeping is refilling kleenex into the boxes rather than buying individual boxes and some of their cleaning chemicals spilled onto the tissues. The housekeeping girl was very helpful and friendly. The hotel does charge for local calls which is ridiculous because you know there is no charge from the phone company for making a local call. We complained that they never informed us about this and they credited back the amount. The hotel is located on the bus route, which was excellent for us. I would have given this hotel a better review but the room rate is overpriced for what you actually receive.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dark and dingy room
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HotelmgrDouglas, Hotel General Manager at Traveller's Inn on Douglas, responded to this review, August 8, 2007
Sorry, but we are no where near a dump hotel as this reviewer mentions. If they checked out other hotels in our area they would see that our location and amenities far exceed this comment. We are located in Downtown Victoria a short 20 min walk from the Inner Harbor. The lobby in our second building is cleaned twice daily and does not smell like grease or oil. We offer comfortable king size beds and large 32” televisions in all our rooms. Not sure what stains you found in the Kleenex box but these are never refilled by our staff. They are purchased directly packaged and sealed from our supplier. Our housekeeping staff would have changed this for you immediately if you had brought it to her attention on your floor. We offer great value for our rooms year round at very affordable prices. This reviewer stayed with us on a long weekend (BC Day) when all of the hotels in the city of Victoria were full. If this guest had stayed closer to the inner harbor they would have paid most likely 4 times the price. Thank you for your review and we hope you enjoyed our beautiful city.

Been to Traveller's Inn on Douglas? Share your experiences!