“An Affordable Getaway” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Phoenix, Arizona
“An Affordable Getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Located in scenic downtown Victoria, B.C. The Douglas Hotel is one of the areas oldest hotels and combines old time charm with modern touches in a great downtown location.

Located a short cab ride from the Inner Harbor, The Douglas is situated by several stores and restaurants, as well as two convenience stores that will satisfy the majority of any travelers needs.

The spacious room had a nice view of the street as well as two comfortable beds, a desk, and ample closet space. The locale also offered a full size bathroom complete with tub and shower as well as amble counter and sink area.

The living room also contained a color television with cable and a clock radio.

The Douglas also offers a bar and an fully licensed facility so guests may purchase beer, wine, and spirits for their visit.

The very helpful and friendly staff made checking in and out a snap, as we were in our comfy room promptly after arriving at the lobby. When we needed a taxi to go out to dinner, or upon checking out, the staff had a cab at the door of the hotel within five minutes of my request.

While the hotel lacked amenities such as a pool, high speed internet, and restaurant, all of which were less than a five minute walk from the hotel and were not missed. For those looking for a affordable hotel in a great locale, look no further than the Hotel Douglas.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Port Alberni, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We were forced to stay here after Paul's Motor Inn (right across the street) refused to accept our cash for payment. Our room was very nice except there was a large chunk of melted plastic that was stopping up our sink. the curtain was falling off the rail and the fittings on the bathtub fell off when I tried to take a bath. The room did come with a kitchenette. The parking lot is across the street and not at all secure. Was good for no notice but would not return. Note that it is next door to a very loud karaoke bar and while there is a restaurant, it is not open for breakfast. The hotel does accept dogs and is close to downtown but I would never stay here again!

Room Tip: Be sure to be as far from the karaoke bar as you can!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver Island, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I've stayed in hundreds of hotels over the years and never felt compelled to write a review, until now! When I checked in the desk clerk went to see if a room was ready, he came back to tell me it was clean but he smelled cigarette smoke. I said no thank you I need a non-smoking room. So he decided to 'upgrade' me to a nicer room at the same rate. I went to the second floor and immediately smelled cigarette smoke in the hallway even with all the non smoking signs on every door. I got to my room and was disgusted. Crumbs on the floor and on the table. 'Something' had dripped and dried to the t.v. cabinet. T.V. remote had no batteries, found them on the floor (they were taped in to the remote). The little balcony was rotting and had holes. The bed was made but looked rumpled. I had no trust in what was clean or dirty! The free wireless was down. For the two hours I stayed in the room (trying to tolerate it and not wanting to make a fuss), the amount of cigarette smoke that came wafting in from other rooms AND the amount of noise from other rooms were disturbing. There was a lot of traffic coming and going in the hallway. Doors slamming. It was a 'rougher' looking crowd. I just didn't feel safe. At midnight there was yelling and arguing in the hall and that's when I decided to check out. At the desk I demanded my money back. The clerk had to call her manager. He said I could have only HALF back and wouldn't talk to me. I said I needed a FULL refund (duh!!) and finally he told the clerk to refund me all of my money. So at 1 a.m. I was driving and looking for a new hotel. A nightmare really.

Room Tip: I would avoid this hotel and don't be lulled in my it's cheap rate.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sointula, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We first Checked In and It smelt like the managers dog Pissed All over the floor , MY OWN dog is repelled From the stench , So After I lift Up the toilet Seat and there was Dry Old Blood , ( most likely A hookers old blood , And hair all over the floor , We Just wanted to sleep but Our Blankets Were making us ITCH , and had old blood Stains , They Were not Even washed after Other use'es
so Pretty much we slept all on one bed THERE's 3 of us I'm even 32 weeks pregnant And he wont give us a refund , WE PAID FOR A HOTEL NOT A FLOP HOUSE , GO TO A B.N.B OR BUY A 25 DOLLAR tent and have an outting they DON'T EVEN clean rite they sweep everything under the beds my Dog found a old hair tie , a golf ball they probley Used for sexual Pleasurement ,the staff isnt even at the desk half the time Ice Machine is broken , And MY BATHROOM HAS SILVER FISH , there bed bugs are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITCHY ,

Room Tip: GO TO A BNB , or sleep out side at least then u wont catch nothing
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

This is obviously a motel for people that have thick skin and can handle a lot of filth and dirt. I. When I travel I like to find that diamond in the rough, believe me i've slept in rough places. In cities or towns where you know that your option of 3 stars is very limited. This motel was beyond rough for me. Especially when Victoria is a capital city. You have a romanticized notion that everything will be post card perfect. I take from the condition of this motel, it is used more by the locals on an hourly basis. At this price point, you may be better off staying at a BnB.

Room Tip: For the same price stay at a BnB.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Dirty everywhere!! Broken stuff everywhere!!! Rude staff, worse check-in and out experience EVER!!! By the time when we got off the ferry was very late, we just needed a place to stay. This lousy dump was happened to be just in front of us, and the sleepy receptionist said we could get 2 king size beds. The king size beds got me... So after we went through VERY old style checking in system, the "adventure night" started. Bugs flying around the room, couldn't-close-properly door, VERY noisy from the outside AND the inside, not enough of hot water for shower, flooded vanity, and STINK and BLACK towels and pillows!!! I am NOT joking and it's not funny... And the check-out was not pleasant AT ALL!!! The invoice shows incorrect amount, and the receptionist kept saying that it's the accountant's fault, and she knows nothing about it. I truly don't know what kind of management they are under... JUST KEEP AWAY FROM THIS INN, you will thank me later.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Nanaimo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Booked this hotel on line and was surprised when we arrived as very seedy looking and assisted living complex nearby very run down. Was initially going to cancel our stay but after talking with the Manager who assured me it was the best deal in Victoria I decided to look at the rooms. The rooms were old but clean. Carpet very old but the rest spotlessly clean. Two king sized beds in each room and very comfortable. Manager told us to park our car out the front so security man could keep an eye on it. It definitely was the cheapest stay in Victoria. No bells and whistles but no bed bugs or filth either and I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Traveller's Inn on Douglas? Share your experiences!