“Clean and comfortable and very quiet!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arbutus Inn

You added Arbutus Inn to your Saves list
Arbutus Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2898 Douglas St, Victoria, British Columbia V8T 4M9, Canada (Formerly Travellers Inn Central) (Burnside)   |
Ranked #30 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Victoria, Canada
“Clean and comfortable and very quiet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great stay, nice and quiet, with friendly staff. Room was very clean and had a warm atmosphere. Close to downtown, with a mall close by and eateries. On the main bus route and laundromat close by. Also a liquor store just across the street.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

location is ok. The better part for me is that it is affordable. Very good relation quality price. It's old but clean and spacious. The beds are comfortable and the staff are nice. Not a luxury room, but compared to the other prices we found, that was the best deal we could find. I would recommend it to those who are in a budget. We stayed 2 nights and we did not have any problem.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our family was looking for one night accommodation in Victoria that was affordable and centrally located.This hotel met all our needs. Our room was tastefully decorated, clean and the price was right. The front desk staff was helpful, friendly and accommodated us immediately when we requested a room type change at the last minute. We enjoyed a great show downtown (less than $8 for a taxi) and had a lovely stay as well. We will definately come back and stay at this hotel! .... oh yes, super comfy beds!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

Good location with parking and on Bus Routes to downtown.Rooms were clean and comfortable although rather cramped with the 2 beds.Not a major problem as we were not in the room for long ABC Country Diner next door did a good breakfast and gives discount to guests.

Room Tip: Rooms are fairly small with two beds restricting free space
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2014 via mobile

As we checked into this hotel the front desk clerk stated that he would do a preauth transaction on my credit card for a damage deposit. I wasn't worried until I looked at the amount of about $500.00. When I asked the front desk clerk about the amount. He rolled his eyes and began telling me it was for my one week stay in the hotel and the damage deposit. Never have I had to do a preauth for more than the amount of my stay before I saw the room. When we got into the room there was a spider web above the tv on the ceiling. I left it there to see if the staff would catch it on their daily cleans and there it stayed for the entire stay. Only once did the front desk clerks say hello to us as we entered the lobby area. My suggestions are to find another place stay. While I was checking out I had my debit card and cash that I would have preferred to pay with, but I thought the front desk clerk was cancelling the preauth. No he charged the bill to my credit card without asking about a payment method. The pictures on the web site make the rooms look a lot bigger than they actually are and lord only knows if they clean under the beds since as I was looking outside our cracked window to look at the weather I found a childs toy from a chess game. Yes I said cracked window was broken from the outside. The rooms were hot and the air conditioner was loud. Never once were we offered a coupon for the abc restaurant that was on the website. Not impressed with our stay!

• Stayed September 2014
ArbutusInn, Manager at Arbutus Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2014
Dear Michal I,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We do explain on our website and with booking.com which was the reservation site you booked thought that a preauth deposit is required at check in. We take a preauth of your full stay plus a deposit. Your credit card is only then completed at check out for the room and taxes. You are correct that we should have confirmed your method of payment at check out.

I am sorry to hear about the spider and the broken window in your room. The window is actually in the process of being fixed but the window repair company could not come out right away to deal with it. The window section can not be removed by us so an outside company is required to repair and replace the middle section.

I am sorry to read that you were not impressed with your stay. In future I would suggest contacting the manager to let them know you are not happy there is an opportunity to fix any issues that come up or move you into another room that would be to your liking. We do not want anyone leaving the hotel without a good experience. The ABC restaurant next to us does offer 10% off for our guests, there is a sign at our desk indicating this. I am not sure why you would be expecting a breakfast coupon as the room you booked did not come with a bed and breakfast offer. Again, thank you for your review and hope you still got the chance to enjoy our city.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2014

It is a clean, comfortable hotel but does not include breakfast in the rate. for the price should be included. recommended for comfortable sleeping. Better than nothing!!! Simple decoration. And good parking. I think is a little expensive.

Stayed September 2014
vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2014

great hotel it was very clean and very quite also,awesome location close to downtown,mayfair shopping mall which is also awesome,very nice helpful staff,would stay here again for sure,good value at this hotel,nice modern rooms,

Room Tip: higher floor
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Arbutus Inn? Share your experiences!