“very good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Arbutus Inn

Save Saved
You added Arbutus Inn to your Saves list
Arbutus Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2898 Douglas St, Victoria, British Columbia V8T 4M9, Canada (Formerly Travellers Inn Central) (Burnside)   |
Ranked #29 of 57 Hotels in Victoria
Sunshine Coast, BC
“very good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

booked this one based on availability and TA ratings. driving to the address and finding the hotel in behind the truck rental place brought on the thought 'oh oh'. well this was a surprise. maybe because we expected dump and found something very different. ok folks, this is advertised as a 2 star hotel. fair enough. we found our room to be very comfortable and very clean. front desk was very helpful. we couldn't get the air conditioner working during the heat wave - help arrived within seconds - really. turns out the electrical plug was flakey. turns out all the electrical plugs were flakey. we usually plug in our own power bar to charge pads, phones and such, but doing this with the cord behind the bedside table rendered the lamp, the radio, and our power bar inoperable. don't mess with the power. we used the air conditioner continuously - when we experimented with opening windows as the night grew cooler we found the diesel fumes from the rental truck fleet parked below unpleasant. perhaps a room facing douglas st would fix this. ours faced west.
so: would we stay here again. yes. great value and good comfort. we have been regular guests at another hotel close by and were a bit disappointed with our last visit. this was a much better experience. thanks all.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

While visiting Victoria, I stayed two nights at the Arbutus Inn. When I arrived I found it a bit difficult to find the hotel, since it is in the same site as National rental company. I asked at a nearby hotel and they explained to me where it is. The room was reasonably sized. The furniture is a bit dated, but that didn't matter much to me. The room was clean and comfortable enough. Although it faced the busy Douglas street, it wasn't noisy at night and my sleep didn't hurt. The fact that the hotel is not right on the street, but a good distance from it helped, in my opinion.

The hotel doesn't serve breakfast. They have a deal with the ABC restaurant next door and some guests buy a package that includes breakfast. I didn't, but ate at the ABC once. Breakfast was quite good and the price was reasonable. The service was a little slow.

The location of the hotel is convenient if you want to use public transportation to downtown. There's a bus stop next to the ABC restaurant to go downtown, and another across the street, when you are returning. Since it is not at the center of the city (about 30 minutes walk from inner harbor), parking is free.

One flaw. The hotel doesn't have an elevator. Therefore, if you're not on the entrance floor, you may choose to take a small bag to the room.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage, ask for rooms on the lobby's floor (I think it is floor 2).
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Langley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed here recently at the Arbutus for 7 month's while working at UVIC. Staff was always accommodating, helpful, and friendly. Any issues or replacement item's needed for my room was promptly taken care of. Bed was comfortable and room quiet. So close to Restaurants and a Mall, I left the car in the parking lot at the Inn most of the time I stayed there. I returned to complete the job at UVIC last month and never had to look farther than the Arbutus. Even though it was June they were able to set me up in the same room I had stayed at earlier. Would recommend this Inn, and stay there again myself in the future. Thanks Claudio and staff. Ken from Fort Langley :) :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I just had the unenviable task of finding accommodations for approximately 225 employees to work in Victoria for two weeks during the height of the tourist season.

The management and staff of the Arbutus Inn went far above and beyond to accommodate our needs.

• In an extremely crowded hotel, they were able to squeeze in bookings for some last minute crew members.
• Knowing that we were working nights, management considerately delayed their housekeeping staff so as not to disturb our employees. This was all done at their own expense.
• If there was an issue, management was on top of it as soon as possible.
• Whenever requested, they moved rooms for people if possible.
• They went out of their way to make sure we had parking for all of our vehicles (some of them oversized).

The management and staff were affable, patient and worked so hard for us that I felt I was taking advantage of them. They helped us get through a tremendously difficult work schedule. It was such a popular place with my crew that I had many others asking if I could move them there.

A big thanks to the Arbutus Inn and everyone who works there!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
SEQUIM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This property is currently being remodeled. There are comfortable new beds, new carpets, and other new amenities. Staff is very pleasant and helpful. While the location is a short distance from downtown, it is only a couple of blocks from a major shopping mall. There's a restaurant across the street and other options within a few blocks. Only knock on the place is that the air conditioner hardly put out any cold air, but I assume that will be part of their remodeling process. Will stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: We were on the third (top) floor. While it's a good sleep not to have anyone thumping on the fl...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ArbutusInn, Manager at Arbutus Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
The management and staff would like to thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We are glad you had a great stay with us. As for the air conditioner, we are already working to replace them with much more efficient ones. Thank you once again and hopefully will will see you again soon!!
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We stayed there four nights. The beds were very comfortable and the room service was excellent. Near to the inner harbour and the main attractions of Victoria. Neighborhood is good and there is a convenience store within two minutes walk. We stayed there in Victoria Day and the rally passed through the Douglas St. which is in front of the hotel. The staffs of the hotel are friendly. I would like to stay here again and also recommend others to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ArbutusInn, Manager at Arbutus Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
The management and staff would like to thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We are glad to ready that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future. Thank you.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

I highly reccommend this hotel to everyone that comes to Victoria! The service was fantastic from the moment we walked in. They made sure we were well taken care of and even helped us with our bags to the room! The room was very clean and much nicer than it appears in the pictures. As this was our first time to visit Victoria,the front desk was very helpful with suggesting the best places to visit, they even called multiple venues for us to ensure it was open and that we would have a great time! They really went out of their way for us and I will happily come back and stay here again. If you want excellent service, great value for the price, cleanliness, a great location than definielty stay at the Arbutus Inn!

• Stayed March 2014
ArbutusInn, Manager at Arbutus Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you very much for the wonderful review on Tripadvisor. We are all so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Arbutus Inn. We look forward to having you as a guest again on your next trip to Victoria.

Thank you.
Hotel Manager

Been to Arbutus Inn? Share your experiences!