“International Travellers Another Inexpensive Option Rather Than One of the Hostels in Town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Arbutus Inn

Save Saved
You added Arbutus Inn to your Saves list
Arbutus Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2898 Douglas St, Victoria, British Columbia V8T 4M9, Canada (Formerly Travellers Inn Central) (Burnside)   |
Ranked #30 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I felt very welcome right away by night worker James and overall I would highly recommend this hotel.
I enjoyed the room very much with a kitchenette and the comfortable bed where I was able to sleep very deeply. The room walls are nicely decorated with soft yellow stripes and white duvet's and bed sheets.
This hotel would have suited me much more than local hostels that I visited previously and for two people it was not much difference in price. In fact three or four people may be able to sleep in a room for as much as the cost of a hostel in town.
The location was close enough to downtown and in fact right on the same street where many buses go by. The 72 and 70x bus stops that go and come from the ferry are also in walking distance further down Douglas Street.
I found the staff in general to be very down to earth and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

very deceiving website pictures.. housekerping missed the bathroom.
woken up to constructionin hallway by door and trucks being cleaned ourside or window, listened to commercial vacums and workers personal concersations

• Stayed December 2012
ArbutusInn, Manager at Arbutus Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Hello Angela P.
Thank you for your review of the Arbutus Inn. Please be assured that the pictures on our website are correct. The hotel lobby and hotel rooms were renovated about a year ago and the pictures we have listed have not been embellished or photo shopped.
I am sorry read that you did not have a quiet stay. We do have National Car & Truck Rentals onsite and they do detail cars at the back of the property. Normally this is never a problem, again apologies for this. I hope you had a great time on your trip to Victoria and I thank you for your review.
Hotel Manager
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I recently got stuck in Victoria with my parents due to a rock slide on the Malahat. We choose to stay here as we have in the past. It was nice last time however they have completed some renovations since and we were really impressed. The lobby is beautiful, the staff are really welcoming and the room was cozy and comforting. Such a great deal and loved not having to pay for parking. The diner across the street was awesome. Overall it was exactly what we needed. A little gem in Victoria!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

At check in I found the desk clerk too be friendly, smiling and cheerful. He presented himself in a confide matter and well dress. Was instructed where my room was and where I could park my car as the hotel parking was very full. The lobby was clean, bright and tastefully decorated for the holiday season. The floor that I was on, was clean, bright and had a fresh smell too it. As I entered my room I realized, how cheery, bright and warm it was, well decorated with a king size bed! The room also had a fresh, clean smell too it. The bathroom was white and bright! The only draw back to the visit was not a major one but when I went too have a shower that evening, I noticed that half way down on the tiled walls, mildew was collecting in spots.
Too sum up my stay on the whole was excellent, and a comfortable one!
And would recommend this location highly to anyone!

Room Tip: No this location does not have a pool or fitness centre, but are within the city core if you wish to...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I really like this place! It's clean and well run. I had a nice room with a King size bed, flat screen TV and wifi / fridge / microwave / coffee machine. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Pretty close to DT. I would recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed here for two nights early this fall. Located on the Trans Canada highway, it was easy to find and close enough to downtown Victoria to walk, but also right on the city bus line.
The staff couldn't have been more helpful. My suitcase broke and, not only did the manager help me open it, he recommended where I could purchase a new one on sale before my trip home. They helped me with online access, directions, calling a taxi, and printing my boarding pass - all the things you need when in a new city for the first time. I felt very comfortable asking for help.
My room, on the main floor, was quiet (no street noise) and comfortable, with everything I needed for a short stay, including a microwave and mini-fridge.
The price was also extremely competitive.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My toddler and I stayed there and the staff was always so great wit my son and went out of thier way to make both he and I feel welcome. It is centrally located, quiet and safe. Short walk to downtown. I've travelled all over the world and while lots of hotels are clean, it's rare to find such dedicated staff. I will always recommend it to friends. They never once complained about the extra work a little boy makes for the house-keeping staff, and smiled every time they saw him.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Arbutus Inn? Share your experiences!