“I hope it has changed since 2007” 1 of 5 stars

Traveller's Inn - On Gorge
120 Gorge Road East, Victoria, British Columbia V9A1L3, Canada (Burnside)   |
Ranked #50 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Edmonton
“I hope it has changed since 2007”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

I just found out about trip advisor or I would have written a review years ago about the Traveller’s Inn on Gorge.

We booked the hotel in 2007 for two weeks due to my wife having to attend U-Vic for a course she was taking. We have a small child and I thought we could go as a family and make it a mini vacation. We had looked at the pictures of the rooms and the price and it looked like a good deal.

When we checked in the desk clerk was rude, but we were tired from the drive so we just wanted to get to our room. When we opened the door to our room it was nothing like the pictures we had seen (the room was across the parking lot from the office and on the second floor). I immediately went to the office and asked for a different room. The clerk said the hotel was fully booked and we had booked a “monthly rental” room. I asked for a refund and was advised since we had paid for the two weeks it was non-refundable. Being a poor student myself, we had paid cash (lesson learned now)...

During the first few hours, we had ambulances and police cars in the parking lot taking people away. The room was incredibly dirty and there was a very strong septic smell. Within hours, we all became very sick and we left the hotel to seek medical attention.

We ended up moving to a Traveller’s Inn downtown at a reduced rate once we explained what had happened to us. They were very understanding. We never received any financial restitution for having to leave the hotel within hours of checking-in. I reported the gas leak to the local authorities but I never received a call regarding the outcome. I also sent letters to the Traveller’s in and never received a reply.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

My boyfriend and I were doing a week and half road trip through Vancouver Island. We aren't millionaires and weren't looking to stay at top end hotels, we just needed a place to sleep in between our journeys. We came across this one and it was reasonably priced, we stayed two nights.
The day we were to check-in, one of the ferries from the mainland to the island had broke down, so there was a 5 hour delay in getting across. I called the hotel and said we wouldn't be there till midnight. Thankfully when we did arrive there was someone there to check us in and were very nice and patient.
When you pull up to this place, it looks like a standard motel. Nothing fancy, but it wasn't grungy. Parking was free - lots of space. We went to our room, also expecting nothing fancy, but we were pleasantly surprised!! The room looked like it had been re-furbished. It looked like a showcase of someone's master bedroom. It was gorgeous - hard wood floors, great decor, just my style. The bathroom wasn't huge but moderately size and had nice decor as well.
We didn't spend much time in the room itself as we had jam packed our holiday with site-seeing. The bed was comfortable, bathroom was clean and shower had hot water, TV worked, and that is all we could have asked for on this trip.
The only thing I could complain about is the walls were paper thin. I could hear all the conversations of the guests in the room next to us (and their alarm clock...)
Tim Horton's is down the road if you want a quick breakfast as there is no restaurant at the hotel. Only took us 5/10 minutes to drive into the city - so not too far away but not close enough to walk.

It's a no frills type of hotel - not a lot of amenities, but if you're looking for a place to sleep in between your site-seeing and aren't basing your vacation on the quality time you spend in a hotel, it's a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

When we arrived, their system was fried, hotel was solid booked and the system couldn't handle it. Luckily I printed out my confirmation and just between the two clerks they quickly intervened as to what room is available for us. WELL, they gave us a room key, we unpacked our car load, did the stairs with our heavy loads, and when my boyfriend opened the door, a dude in there yelled at us, the room was still occupied! SO, I left the luggage and the bf upstairs to run down and tell them the room is occupied. Like pulling a tag out of a hat they gave me another room key. We opened the door, it was not occupied but it was disgusting, talk about red light special. The gross sticky stained carpet was red, the crooked thin king size bed was in red bedding, there was NO air conditioning, the furniture was old, the room smelled like smoke, the room was crazy small! The washroom was old and gross. I called the front desk to tell them there is no kitchenette and her response was "Oh, we can send somebody upstairs to open the kitchen door", apparently there was a kitchenette behind lucky door #1 which I thought was an opening to the hallway or something. We didn't stay. It was too depressing for beautiful Victoria.

• Liked — That I could cancel and walk away.
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brantford, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

We were looking for a hotel with a good value, close to local sites. We stopped by to enquire and immediately liked the service staff. We stayed for 3 nights and quite enjoyed the room. Wireless internet and fresh coffee and towels daily were just a few of the perks we enjoyed. we will be checking in again next time we are in the area!

• Liked — nicely decorated
  • Disliked — lighting in rooms was poor
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
san francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

The first of many problems was the junkie who greeted me outside the lobby asking for money. The staff seemed non-plussed - apparently this is a normal event for a holiday-maker.

The check-in was fairly simple - although the girl at the front desk seemed high, or something. Maybe simply thick?

The room itself was horrible. Gross, smelled of cigarettes, there was garbage under the bed, and it looked as though it hadn't been renovated since the mid-60s. Complete kitsch trash.

Apparently the pool was closed as some child had cut their foot on the bottom of the pool. At least the staff had the foresight to close it.

All in all, it was a horrible stay. Horrible.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TravellersInn, manager at Traveller's Inn - On Gorge, responded to this review, July 29, 2008
We at the Traveller’s inn on Gorge would like to address this guests comments regarding Trip Advisor.

We are sorry to hear that this guest was asked for money as they arrived to the hotel by someone walking by the entrance. We don’t have people hanging around our hotel lobby asking for money from our guests. Anyone noticed doing this would be asked to leave our property right away. I’m glad that they did bring it to our attention so that we could handle it appropriately. Making a comment about our staff being high or thick is unacceptable and disrespectful, and if this reviewer really though this then they should have brought it to the attention of the manager and not pass comment in this kind of forum.

We would also like to address the complaint mentioned regarding the hotel room itself. The Traveller’s Inn on Gorge is a 100% non smoking hotel. I sincerely apologize to this guest for experiencing residual tobacco smoke left behind by the previous occupant. We have taken appropriate action to rectify the tobacco smoke issue. Once again, Traveller’s Inn on Gorge is a non smoking hotel. Renovations have been finished in the majority of our rooms, and if any guest is unhappy in any way, we are always more than happy to move guests to a room that is satisfactory to their needs.

We invite any potential guests to “view” a room before their stay and always try to make our guests feel welcome.

Thank you.

Management – Traveller’s Inn Gorge location.
Linz, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2007

My wife and I spent two month at this hotel from early September to late October 2005 while attending MBA classes at the University of Victoria. The condition of the room was ok and we liked the full-size kitchen, that we had booked as an option. The coin-operated washer and dryer on site saved us from the hassle of having to find a laundromat. There were always enough parking spaces and the site had a bus stop right across the street with good connections to downtown and UVic.

I would not book this hotel for a romantic getaway, but it fitted our purpose and wallet perfectly during our stint at UVic.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

There are a ton of them in victoria, the one we stayed at was on Gorge Road, the floor had hardwood floors, and you could see the dust bunnies in the corners. The bathtub had hairs around the edges from the previous guest(s), the bathroom floor also needed to be mopped - looked quite dirty. It was a very hot day, the room had air conditioning, but it did not work and the air conditioner was very dusty/dirty. At night, it was extremely hot in the room. We only stayed one night. The room was only $90 a night and was rated 3 stars, for that price, I expected a room to be clean and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Traveller's Inn - On Gorge? Share your experiences!