“Twice is Enough! If you enjoy the sounds of cars, buses and sea gulls then this is the place for you to stay!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Parkside Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Parkside Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
The Parkside Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   810 Humboldt Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8V5B1, Canada (Formerly Parkside Victoria Resort & Spa) (Fairfield)   |
Ranked #16 of 57 hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

This was our second trip to this facility. The hotel is beautiful looking, but this is not a place to get any sleep. With no air conditioning or fans you can hear every noise inside and out. The rooms are so hot that you are forced to sleep with the windows and patio doors open. The party people were out on the streets of Vic for the Sept long weekend. If you enjoy the sounds of cars, buses, garbage trucks and sea gulls then this is the place for you to stay! We will be staying else where on our next visit unless this hotel gets AC or ceiling fans and we can sleep with the doors and windows shut! The cleanliness of the rooms could also be improved. It was grimmy around the shower and there were little white hand prints left on the windows, patio had crackers and cigarette butts left behind. Needs improvement for the price we paid!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

521 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I booked this hotel almost two months ago for my dear friends' 40th birthday celebration. We are all residents of Victoria and wanted to try this hotel as it seemed to fit our needs socially and environmentally. Upon arriving, I was greeted unpleasantly and only asked for ID and a credit card which I already provided to secure the room. My friends joined me and there was no offer to help my friend unload her car (she had to find a trolley herself and unload while staff looked on) and was told to immediately move the car as it was blocking the drive (there were NO other guests or cars in sight). We hadn't even been given the parking code yet...

The room was filthy - beer bottles and previously opened chip bags in the cupboards, stains on the bedroom carpets, dust and childrens' toys under the furniture and on the baseboards, stickers and finger prints on the glass surround on the patio and no fans in the washrooms. We were told the room was "ready" when we checked in. We did check in early, but called the day before and the day before that to ask if that would work for them. We had various responses from different staff.

The only staff that were open and friendly were at Aquaterre Spa. I would recommend the spa fully, but not the hotel portion of this resort. To the staff at Parkside, please have a look at what "hospitality" means in the dictionary. It is the industry that you are in and your guests should be treated in that fashion.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Myself and two friends stayed at the Parkside recently for a 40th birthday girls night. From the outset the reception staff were cold and seemed "put-out" by having to answer any questions we had. As the other girls were checking-in, I went out to the car to unload our bags onto a trolly. I came in with the trolly and was quickly told that I needed to move my car because I was blocking the driveway for others. We weren't even fully checked-in at this point. It is a wide driveway and I was off to one side. I was waiting for parking instructions from him before I moved it.

Before we went up to our room we mentioned that it was an oversight on our part but that we should have taken into consideration the afternoon sun when we booked. We had spa treatments in the early afternoon and hoped to sit in the sun on our balcony for the rest of the day. Either person at the front desk offered to comment on this let alone explain where our room was and whether or not we could get a room that enjoys afternoon sun. We felt like a nuisance.

When we got to our room it faced north/east. We convened and decided that we would like a different room if possible as the sun was disappearing fast. We all went back down to make the request. Ben at the desk was not only unhelpful but suggested that it was supposed to rain in the afternoon anyhow. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. Can you imagine! Another chap, concierge I believe, happened to be standing there and suggested that we just go sit up on the roof garden or common room upstairs. These 2 spaces are in Tower A and we were in Tower B. The whole idea of our stay there was to relax in the room we paid for and lounge on our balcony with a glass of wine and food we had prepared the night before. Finally the woman at the desk piped up and said that none of the 2 bedroom rooms face south or west. One of us said "so we have to stay put then" the reply was "yes". Unreal!!

We went back up to our room and started to unpack our food and bags etc, that is when we realized that the room was filthy. The baseboards were covered in dust, the walls were dirty, kitchen handles were sticky, the floor was littered with dust bunnies and crumbs, glass doors and glass panels of balcony smeared with finger prints and food and empty beer bottles from a previous renter were in the cupboards. Rather than go back down to the desk to be dismissed again or be deemed high maintenance we chose to take a few minutes and clean it to our standards. When I moved the chairs to sweep underneath it was clear that they hadn't been moved for cleaning in awhile. I should have taken a picture of what I swept up but it was too late when I thought of it.

Spa treatments were great. We returned to a dark room and a cold balcony and spent our afternoon and evening inside on a sunny summer day. After awhile we decided to go up to the roof top (as suggested) before the sun slipped away. When we got there people were doing yoga so it seemed inappropriate to talk or laugh. Also, twice a repair man came to the room to fix the washing machine. He was very polite and professional but why couldn't that be done when guests aren't there. Or at the very least we should have received a call ahead of time asking if it was okay.

All in all we were very disappointed. For weeks we had been looking so forward to a luxurious getaway together as it is rare. We were met with inhospitable staff and a dirty room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
aviawest_management, Manager at The Parkside Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
We are extremely disappointed to learn of your experience. The level of service you received is not in standing with the attention we strive to offer each and every guest. Based on your feedback, we are working hard to remedy the operational inconsistencies that affected your stay.
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I LOVE the Parkside. The rooms are brand new with stainless steel appliances, granite counter tops and high end bedding and towels. The gym and pool are wonderful and flexible with their hours. Excellent service

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

My boyfriend and I came here for the weekend to celebrate my birthday. We received a great deal and were really happy with the pictures on the website. We arrived late and had no problems checking in. That was kind of when things went downhill.

Upon arrival we noticed that the lobby - which has a beautiful 'garden' - was incredibly stuffy. It was warm, which was a nice change from the February weather outside, but the longer we stayed the more uncomfortable we got.

When we checked out our room, it was much like the picture had shown, and we were pleased that we weren't misled. The fridge had 2 bottles of water and the kitchenette was well-equipped. The fireplace in the living room did not work - it showed the 'flames' but did not produce any heat. The TV was fine, but we didn't use it often. The couch looked surprisingly worn out and I wasn't comfortable sitting on it. Our balcony had a gorgeous view of the building next door.

The soap/conditioner/shampoo in the shower all smelled wonderful, and after a long day I happily took a shower. A few minutes after stepping out I noticed that I couldn't stop itching. This was the first, and only, time I had ever had an allergic reaction to the toiletries provided by a hotel, so it was surprising. The bedroom and the main entryway, which are connected to the bathroom by two doors, were stuffy after the shower, and we quickly ascertained that there is no actual fan in the bathroom. We also couldn't figure out how the humidity was kept in check without a fan or any kind of ventilation system. That seems like it could get dodgy in the future.

The sheets were rough, and I had problems falling asleep because of how uncomfortable I was from the itchiness due to the bath products (the last time I felt this way was after being hospitalized for an allergic reaction to antibiotics). After some hours I was able to fall asleep, but not before leaving the balcony door open to help with the stuffiness of the room.

The next morning, as we were getting ready to go out, we noticed that we could hear pretty much every single conversation happening in the hallway. One conversation was so loud that I had to stick my head out and see what was going on - that's when I noticed that there wasn't anyone else in the hallway and that the noise was coming from the unit next to ours. Either very loud neighbours or very thin walls - I'm inclined to think the latter.

In an effort to stay green, you are given the option of having housekeeping skip your room. We did not exercise this option as we needed a change of towels and I wanted a change of sheets. When we returned several hours later, the room had not been cleaned.

One of the room's amenities is that it comes with a laundry machine. The handle on our machine was broken. The machine itself looked like it was functioning fine, but the handle refused to re-attach. We notified the front desk on our way out, and they said they would have it fixed by the time we returned. After a pleasant morning/afternoon out, we returned to the hotel and went to our room. The machine still hadn't been fixed. This time I called the front desk to report that the machine was still broken, and they promised to send someone right away. We went down to the pool and played around for a while, came back to our room, and noticed that the machine was still broken. It remained this way until we checked out (and likely after), despite a third attempt at notifying the front desk.

We were happy to put with these foibles for the price we paid, but we won't be returning, nor will we recommend this property to any of our friends. The staff were pleasant but overworked; public areas were not properly maintained (such as the changing rooms and the iPad bar, which seemed like a ridiculous waste); our requests were not dealt with in a timely manner. The hotel itself is very stuffy and lacks ventilation, and the lack of a fan or even heat lamp in the bathroom just adds to the discomfort. If we had gone in the summer we likely would not have stayed the second night. For a slightly higher price, we would prefer to go to a nearby property that's better-run in order to really enjoy our time in Victoria.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

A little small but still a fine resort. Very modern rooms but had trouble figuring out how to operate air conditionong resulting in a terrible sleep!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We mostly enjoyed our stay but I don't believe we'd return during the summer months.

Mirroring many of the other reviews, it is a modern, nice looking property with the problems noted by others (no bathroom door in the master suite, tub with no curtain to shower, ect). The beds were comfortable. The design pleasing. So on that level it is a nice enough place to stay. The Parkside offers some great deals on hotwire.com.

The evening noise level in our suite was very surprising and this is mainly why we would not stay again during the summers. As noted by others the lack of air conditioning (don't care for air con and don't use it, so that wasn't the problem for us) COMBINED with the lack ceiling fans makes it nearly impossible to keep the windows closed at night. As noted by another reviewer, the outside temperature was a comfortable, colder evening temperature but inside the suites they are very warm. Due to the design of the decorative glass tiles and concrete abutments above and below the windows, any all noise from street level bounces off the glass tiles and into the rooms. We were on the 6th floor and could hear the small stream of water in the fountain in the roundabout in front of the complex as if it was in our room. Thus we closed the windows and the room was very uncomfortable during the evening when the outside temperature was in the low 10's. So though the beds were uncomfortable, had a poor sleep. Sadly this could have been solved by installing a ceiling fan or putting portable oscillating fans ($25 each) in each suite.

The Parkside also enjoy a similar problem I have had at other Aviawest run properties: the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing. We booked a package advertised on their website through their reservation center. During the course of our stay not all parts of the package were materializing so after a bit of back and forth discussion the Front Desk staff ascertained that they were not aware of this particular package's components. The staff did take great strides to make amends which we were grateful for. But the underlying problem is that the communication flow between all parties is not foolproof. Unfortunate as these things detract from one's experience and are wholly unnecessary.

Really enjoyed Caffe Fantastico off the lobby. Had a breakfast and a lunch there and enjoyed their great flavour combinations immensely. Will go back there to eat next time in Victoria.

Loved the non-chlorine bleach smell and feel of the pool. The gym was excellent.

So overall we enjoyed many parts of our stay but the noise levels and in room temperature will keep us away in the summer months. These would presumably be greatly resolved in the winter when one keeps the windows closed and the heat on.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Parkside Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!