“Cosy neighbourhood restaurant with Big City sophistication in the menu” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Giovanni's Tapas and Fine Food - CLOSED

Giovanni's Tapas and Fine Food
4517 West Saanich Road | Suite 1, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (Downtown)
250-590-7701
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Tapas
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Victoria, Canada
“Cosy neighbourhood restaurant with Big City sophistication in the menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I have eaten at Giovanni's on five different occasions (lunches and dinner with more still to come). The restaurant itself is in a small strip mall and there is nothing on the exterior to suggest the culinary experience inside will be superb. The bland, unimposing exterior is truly deceptive because the food inside is very very good.

Recently I had the Herb Striploin Tapa with white wine, crab and cream sauce. Tender strips of beef loin cooked to a medium rare are placed atop small roasted sweet pepper strips and onion, all of this in turn resting on a house-made potato patty. Just the right amount of crab/wine/cream sauce bathes and surrounds the dish.

Today I had lunch with five other people and, when I described the Herb Striploin Tapa, all five chose to try it. I noticed that when the meal was over, every plate looked as if it had been licked clean by the family pooch.

The menu includes seafood, pastas, meats-all with a mediterranean touch. There are daily specials, soups and crisp, tasty salads made from locally sourced ingredients. The dressings are house made and just the right amount is used to highlight the taste of the fresh vegetables.

This unassuming restaurant is not pretentious and serves good, fresh, tasty food that is filling and leaves a happy palate. It is not Michelin 3 star but it is several notches above many restaurants that claim to offer gourmet food. The prices are very reasonable, the staff is attentive and helpful but none of them aspire to become your next best friend.There is a formality but no stiffness nor that annoying hauteur found in some"classy joints."

Excellent food, excellent service, excellent value.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Victoria, BC
“Excellent meal, I'll certainly go again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I had lunch here with a friend, and we both came away impressed. It was quiet with fewer than half the table occupied, so our server had lots of time to attend to us. I had canelloni stuffed with shrimp and chorizo sausage and covered in a light alfredo sauce which was terrific. My friend had a vegetarian sandwich on flatbread which he pronounced as very good, and he tends to be difficult to please. Try this place, it's great, I'll be back for dinner.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Victoria, Canada
“Well priced food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

My husband and I had dinner with another couple here tonight. We wanted to try out this new restaurant which I understand has only been open for two months now. The menu is fairly small yet provided more than enough choices especially as there were a few specials. The food is fresh and tasty for the most part but I wouldn't consider this gourmet food. I do think however that the restaurant provides a pretty close facsimile to fine dining at a very reasonable price. Even the wines they have are cheaper but excellent value wines. The service was very professional and the atmosphere very pleasant. No doubt they will be busier the next time we visit

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sidney, Canada
“Imaginative, well priced and excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

In January, we were in Giovanni's three times with various walking groups we belong to. Everyone raved about the quality of the food and were impressed with how well-priced the food was. The chef makes great soups fresh every day and the menu is an interesting and imaginative mixture of Mediterranean-themed dishes. Not a particularly extensive menu but everything we had was first class (I think the chef prefers focus on a few things of high quality). A stand out for me on our last visit was the antipasto dish - all the dips and sauces were freshly made on the premises and the cheeses and salamis were excellent. This dish stood shoulder to shoulder with the best ones I've had in Europe. We shall return!

• Visited January 2012