“Questionable area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Victoria

You added Sandman Hotel Victoria to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Victoria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2852 Douglas Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8T 4M5, Canada (Burnside)   |
Ranked #46 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Questionable area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was slightly out of town with approx 30 min walk to harbour. The hotel was good, with friendly efficient service. Room was large with kitchenette so if staying for more the one night could be useful.. The only downside to the hotel was location, the walk back from town at night was passed prostitutes and homeless sleeping rough. Don't let this put you off the hotel, just catch a cab back or try a different route as Victoria is a wonderful place to visit.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed overnight in a King Suite. Bed was comfortable, room space is ok, clean. large indoor pool. Negative: pillows are not enough- be sure to ask for extra as soon as you check-in. Towels are not big enough & easily soaks so ask for extra, too.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

It was bad on my first visit in May. I had a very old room that seemed like it hadn't been renovated since the early 90's. When I asked to switch to the "renovated" part of the hotel they told me it would be a loss of revenue...

Guest services is not their strongest either.

I'm not sure why I booked again, maybe because the company I work with gets a discount... I booked asking for a newer room this time... Again, I got an old room... When I mentioned it they said their was nothing to could do.
This will be my last visit.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thanks so much for your feedback. I wanted to touch on your comment in regards to our guest rooms. All of our guest rooms have been renovated with various updates over the past few years. We are currently in the process of and continuing to upgrade all rooms to enhance the guest experience.

The rooms I believe you are referring too are our rooms that have that new duvets. We are in the process of updating all of our linens and should be completed in the next few months as we await the order to arrive. Most of our guest rooms have been renovated with new carpeting, new TV's and this year we will be starting to renovate some of our rooms with all new furniture packages as well. We are excited for the new changes ahead.

I can also assure you that there is no difference in price between a room with older bedding and newer bedding. We do our best to accommodate any requests for these type of rooms. Within due time they will all have the new linens which are a great comfortable addition to our rooms.

I do hope that this clarifies your concerns you brought forward. Again we are happy to do our best to try to accommodate such a request and will do our best.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us in the near future and if you contact me directly I will do my best to assure we accommodate your request.

Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend and were very disappointed. We have stayed at other Sandmans and assumed they were all the same. Not so.

Positive: Room was clean and Shark Club attached so it's easy to get a bite to eat if you don't want to go out. Pretty good central location. Indoor pool. Housekeepers were nice.

Negative: Room was miniscule. I'm not kidding. We had a room by the elevator with barely enough room to walk around the bed. Hotel network connection spotty and unreliable. Parking lot small, crowded, poorly designed, and spaces were tiny. You can't open windows in room. Hotel was loud and filled with screaming kids for I don't know what reason. Pillows terrible and not enough of them. Room had one small desk chair only for sitting.

The hotel was a big disappointment and definitely not worth the price. I've stayed at Super 8's that were cheaper and a *lot* more comfortable. This was just a little weekend away for us, but we'll not stay here again.

Room Tip: When you book, tell them you don't want the teeny tiny room by the elevator. The one that requir...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. First off thank you for your positive comments regarding the cleanliness of your room and the warm hospitality of our housekeeping team, I will be sure to share this with them. Also having the Shark Club attached to the hotel is a great asset to our establishment as they serve three meals a day, and excellent food choices.

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with the size of the room you stayed in. We do have many suites in our hotel about 65% of our inventory. They are much larger, have either two double beds or a king size bed, a full kitchenette and a separate sitting area with a pullout sofa. They are large in space and very comfortable. And for a nominal fee they are very popular amongst most of our guests.

Our hotel was built with no opening windows. However all of our rooms are equipped with your own personally controlled heating and air conditioning. This also allows fresh air in to the room as well. He are one of very few hotels in the Victoria area that is fully air conditioned for those hot summer days. Another reason why guests keep coming back.

We do provide ample amount of pillows in the room as well as two spare pillows in the closet with an extra blanket in all of our guest rooms. Of course you can request extra pillows for your stay. We want our guests to be as comfortable as possible during their stay.

We do ensure all of our hotel guests keep to "quiet" time during their stay and we do have on site security that ensures all noise is kept to a minimum at all times of the day.

Our wifi internet has been updated recently and we rarely have any concerns. We do suggest if you are having problems connecting to contact our Front Desk team and they will contact our wifi provider to help you troubleshoot your specific connection problem. It is as easy as that!

Again I am sorry for the experience you had and do hope you will come back and stay with us again in the near future, and do suggest you try one of our larger suite rooms. They sure have an abundance of space.

We do hope you will give us another try in the near future.

Nanaimo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I've stayed here before on business and chose to stay again for a family vacation because it has a great pool (large, very clean). I checked in with two 13 year olds and when I asked the desk clerk what the age was that children could swim without an adult present, he said *18*. I commented that was very odd and very old compared to most hotels but he assured me that was hotel policy. However, when we were swimming there were other young teens there without a parent so when I checked out I asked the desk clerk (a different one) and she said the age was 13. I also noted that the iron was broken (the knob to press for steam was missing) and there was a chunk of corner wall that had been gouged and not repaired.

On the positive side - the room was clean, the location is great, and the free parking and free internet are super perks.

Not sure that I will stay there again with family due to the confusing info about the pool.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I apologize for the communication error regarding the age limit for using the pool area. I wanted to clarify that the age limit to use the pool without an adult is 13 years old. We do post signs that the hot tub is to be used by adults only unless children are accompanied by an adult as there are health risks involved with using hot tub due to high temperatures. Signs are clearly marked in and around the pool area for this reason.

I have addressed and discussed with my team the difference between the pool age limit and the hot tub usage age limits.

Also we have addressed the issue of the iron and baseboard and can assure you we take great pride in the maintenance and housekeeping of our rooms.

I will share your positive feedback with the rest of the team.

I do hope we will have a chance to welcome you back in the near future now that the pool age limit has been addressed.

Again thanks for your feedback.

Powell River, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We had to book this the same day we needed it and the hotel was quite booked from what I could tell. So we ended up having to take a Junior Suite we didn't want or need. $170 for the night. I was okay with that especially if there is breakfast included BUT there wasn't!! I know it was my fault for not checking but this is the first hotel I've run into of this genre that hasn't come with a complimentary breakfast and I use hotels about 40-45 nights per year. The under ground parking was nice as was the secure elevator and liquor store next door. Room was clean, beds were reasonably comfortable, and hotel staff are friendly. Like I said only complaint was the price and lack of a complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Courtenay, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed here this past weekend in a suite and although most of our experience was average, we did have one disgusting discovery in the bed! Late the first night, after a long day of driving and hockey games, we pulled out the hide-a-bed for our young hockey player to sleep on and on it, we found a large, gross bone! It appeared to have been cooked and maybe picked clean by someone or something...it was hard to tell but it was 7 or 8 inches in length and quite the shocking discovery! It took a bit to get the bedding changed and we were told it would be reported to a manager but didnt hear anything from any staff, even when asked, as apparently there was no manager around this weekend.
So disgusting!! And no resolve or apology of any sort from management. So lame! The reaction from the staff that we spoke to about this seemed as though it was nothing new or out of the ordinary. Would not ever recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
I greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. I can assure you we take all feedback seriously and act upon any incidents promptly.

I am terribly sorry for your experience that you encountered and was quite shocked myself to hear of this incident. It is quite interesting that this was found on the bottom of the pullout bed as if something was inside the pull out bed it would have fallen on the floor when pulling the sofa bed out. It is a very strange occurrence for sure as our housekeeping department take great pride in their work.

All of our rooms are checked prior to arrival of guests including pulling out sofa beds and checking in and behind them.

We do pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and am sorry for this experience.

If you would like to discuss this further in person with me please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kindest Regards,

Brian Johnson

Been to Sandman Hotel Victoria? Share your experiences!