“Pretty Gross, well maybe not gross but definitely subpar” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Victoria

Save Saved
You added Sandman Hotel Victoria to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Victoria
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2852 Douglas Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8T 4M5, Canada (Burnside)   |
Ranked #45 of 57 hotels in Victoria
Toronto, Canada
“Pretty Gross, well maybe not gross but definitely subpar”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed overnight on Saturday. I will say I'm about disappointed by this stay. The room was only semi clean. For some reason the lamps were unplugged and I had to call to get someone to do it, because we couldn't reach the wall sockets. We found old candy wrappers in the room and the sheets looked pretty wrinkly. So the quality of the room was questionable. I'd put it in the 2 star range. And the location of the hotel was misleading. It's advertised as being downtown. And I can assure you that it certainly is not. I would not recommend staying here and I certainly will not be back.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room here. Eew.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am sorry that your stay was not up to your satisfaction. I have addressed your concerns with our team and can assure you that we take pride in the cleanliness of our rooms and have addressed this incident. We are exceptionally proud of our product and with new bedding in our rooms as well as our new flat screen TV's our guests are enjoying these great upgrades to our property.

Our location is in fact in the downtown core, and we are minutes to the Inner Harbour. Most guests appreciate our location as it is central to all areas of the city, and ample free parking.

I would be more than happy to discuss your stay with you. Please contact me at 250.388.0788 or gm_victoria@sandman.ca so that we can ensure your satisfaction.

Kind Regards,

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
cloverdale bc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

On a recent trip to Victoria BC we had a chance to stay in the Sandman Hotel. We checked other reviews and wanted to try out this hotel as it afforded us quick access to our destination in Victoria. The hotels location on Douglas Street made it simple to locate from the Ferry. The front desk staff were very friendly and our check was very quick. We had booked a King Suite which was clean and comfortable. The mini kitchenette allowed us to make our own breakfast as we had an early start the next day. In addition hotel staff allowed us access to the swimming pool change rooms the next day following check out to allow us to change into more comfortable clothing following a ceremony which we had attended. Some suggestions are: make certain you ask for access to the secure parking lot (which is now free) as there is a pub co-located with the hotel. I was concerned leaving our car parked outside near the pub. As well if you are a non-smoker make certain you get room well away from the section of the hotel with smoking rooms. Please note the hotel also does accommodate visitors with pets. My only suggestion for the hotel is that it would be nice if there was a free self serve coffee/tea bar with fruit or muffins. All in all we were very happy with our stay at the Sandman hotel.

Room Tip: Make certain to bring your trunks as there is a great inside pool and exercise room. Security is go...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

When I first arrived it seemed okay, the front desk staff were prompt and nice. However, when I went downstairs to check out the restaurant I quickly realized it was nowhere a single female wanted to be alone. The place was filled with sleezy looking men. I saw several leaving with what looked to be prostitues. I chose to get a cab to a different restaurant further away and on my ride back there were bums drinking beer in the parking lot! The whole thing gave me a creepy feeling and made me want to leave. There is no sound proofing at all; you can hear everything in the hallway, rooms next door and outside. The rooms are out dated, especially the bathrooms but not horrible if you're only staying one or two nights. I wouldn't come back; I'll suck up the extra money and go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for your feedback and touch on a few of the items you brought forward regarding your stay. As the Shark Club is a licensed Sports Bar it tends to cater to the Corporate and Leisure client and has a strong base of loyal clients. It may not be suitable for everyone but does maintain its rating as the best sports bar in Victoria. Again it may not be your personal choice to dine but it is a favourite spot for many locals and of course our hotel guests.

As Victoria is a city and does have homeless people as does any city, we do out best to ensure they are not loitering on or around hotel property. It is an occurrence that happens throughout our city and we all do our best to remove any unwanted loiterers from the property.

All of our rooms are in the process of upgrades. We have installed new flat screen TV’s in all of our guest rooms, and are rolling out new duvet sets in each room as well. We are also updating our in room pictures and making upgrades to all of our rooms to enhance the guest experience for all of our guests.

Again I thank you for taking them time to leave us your feedback and do hope that based on the information I have shared with you that you will in future give us a try again. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss your stay in further detail please do so.

Kind Regards,

250.388.0788
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel was a bit of a disapointment- the hotel staff was very friendly, but the hotel itselfe is old and looked used from the inside. The room we had was ok, but there where stains on the carpet and there was a bit of a musty smell. It was hot and the only way to cool the room down, was to turn on the very loud air-condition- you couldn´t open a window and I´m really not feeling compfortable at all in a room where you can´t open the windows. The good thing was, that the parking was for free and the walk into the city was not too far (round 15min to go). There was not a lot to see in Victoria, so we choose to take the Higway to Juan de Fuca Parc, where you can find great hiking areas and beautifull beaches (China Beach, Mystic Bach f.e.). We tried as well the pool area, which seemd to be clean, but the water in the pool was very cold (5°C) so you need to swim a bit faster to get warmed up ;)

Room Tip: Try not to get a room facing the car wash on the back ;)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

I am sorry that your experience was not up to satisfaction. We do pride ourselves on the product and service we deliver to our guest. All of our rooms come with an individual air-conditioning unit to control the desired temperature each guest enjoys in their room. We have also had our room carpets cleaned in the last few weeks and are in the process of replacing some in room carpet.

The pool is checked 3 times daily and the pool temperatures are always at the optimal temperatures that are required by the city.

I do appreciate the feedback regarding the hotel staff and will be sure to share this with them. They always go above and beyond to look after all of our guests.

We do hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future and if you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Regards,

250.388.0788
Kelowna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have few words for this hotel as it was a very enjoyable stay. The room was very clean and comfortable. What I did notice most was how quiet the hotel was. For reference I was on the top floor back side. Government St. is very close and while not "downtown" so close that might as well be. Room rate is very affordable and no charge for parking. Staff was courteous and quick with check in and check out. Even though my room was next to the elevator, my past experiences being next to an elevator were not recreated here. Being an active person I wish I had a chance to experience the pool and fitness facilities. I would DEFINITELY stay here again. While it may not officially be 5 star, it was 5 star in my books as I really felt comfortble there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I just want to thank you for your great feedback regarding the hotel and our team. I will be sure to share your positive feedback with all of our team, and look forward to welcoming you back very soon. I am glad we could give you our "5 Star" service.

Kindest Regards,

Pitt Meadows, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Sandman hotel in Victoria is a nice hotel to stay in. The rooms at decent for the price and you get good beds. The wifi works though you sometimes have nights were you have to keep entering the password.
There is a hotub, pool and weight room down on the parking level that is clean and well maintained.
The shark club restaurant has good sports pub food and good staff.
The hotel staff were always helpful and knowledgable.

Room Tip: Better then a motel 6 or super 8. Usually quiet and good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Grande Prairie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed at the Sandman while a family member was in a Victoria hospital as they offered an excellent medical rate. We had a suite with my wife & I using the bed and another family member using the pull out couch in the sitting area. Room was clean but was showing its age a bit (tap leaked). Only real issue was that housekeeping kept forgetting that there was 3 of us in the room and never left enough towels. Leaving a note solved this. Front desk staff where very friendly and helpful (we never knew when we would be leaving so they let us update them day by day).

Room Tip: The suites are nice. There is a sitting room with a TV and then a small kitchen area and then the m...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sandman Hotel Victoria? Share your experiences!