“Good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Victoria

You added Sandman Hotel Victoria to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Victoria
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2852 Douglas Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8T 4M5, Canada (Burnside)   |
Ranked #45 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Grande Prairie, Canada
“Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed at the Sandman while a family member was in a Victoria hospital as they offered an excellent medical rate. We had a suite with my wife & I using the bed and another family member using the pull out couch in the sitting area. Room was clean but was showing its age a bit (tap leaked). Only real issue was that housekeeping kept forgetting that there was 3 of us in the room and never left enough towels. Leaving a note solved this. Front desk staff where very friendly and helpful (we never knew when we would be leaving so they let us update them day by day).

Room Tip: The suites are nice. There is a sitting room with a TV and then a small kitchen area and then the m...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Mission, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was traveling by myself with my 5 children and all the little details made all the difference to a successful stay....part of which means a relaxed mom. From the availability of the family suite, to the very friendly reservation and front desk staff, to the quick service of getting the extra pillow we needed, to Anita, the housekeeping manager, providing personal service to ensure our room was to our satisfaction and leaving behind a care package of cookies and chips - even some baby cookies because she knew I had a baby, to the manager being flexible with pool rules and allowing my older children to swim while my baby napped. It was all so convenient, easy, accommodating. What a treat to have free local calls! The conveniences for a busy mom were endless! We appreciate being able to count on this consistent service each time we travel to visit our families in Victoria! Thank you!
My only negative comment is that I would appreciate that you invest in new beds and pillows. They are not comfortable and the sheets are obviously bleached over and over and for our family with sensitive skin eczema this was uncomfortable and we all lacked sleep. Go the extra mile and spend money on improved mattress, pillow and linen quality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Parksville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Sandman in Victoria for one night. I live further north on Vancouver Island and come to Victoria periodically. I thought I'd try somewhere new (and near to my destination). The hotel seemed quite clean and well kept. Staff was friendly. What disappointed me was how NOISY the hotel was. I returned after dinner to find that the bar was full and very loud (a Friday night). The noise followed me into the hotel and to my 3rd floor room. After settling in, I could still hear noise from the stairs, elevator and surrounding rooms. The headboard on my bed was not attached properly and banged everytime a door opened or closed, or the people upstairs walked. I could clearly hear voices in the next room (well enough to understand their conversation). This continued until 3am and I was woken again at 6am by people coming and going. The bath tub also did not drain properly, and filled up while I showered.

I won't be staying here again. I shouldn't have to move rooms after already unpacking and settling in. This hotel needs to be updated with better sound proofing.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room far away from the elevator and hope that it's quiet!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with me regarding your most recent stay with us. I do apologize that you encountered some noise concerns during your stay with us.

This weekend you are referring too was a sold out weekend for us. We did have a number of teams staying with us and was also an event night at the Shark Club. We do enforce strict policies to our teams that are staying with us. Each team must fill out and sign a team conduct agreement that lists the hotel rules and policies regarding quiet times etc. We also have security that patrols the hallways and property to ensure rules are being adhered too. We did have no noise complaints brought to our attention on this specific weekend. Again we always want to ensure our guests enjoy a quiet and memorable stay.

We have addressed the concern with the headboard and the shower drain and have corrected these issues, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I can assure you that we would welcome the opportunity to have you back to stay with us. I would be more than happy to speak to you directly regarding your past stay. I can be reached at (250) 388-0788

Again thank you for your feedback and I am most certain your next stay will be a pleasurable one.

Kind Regards,

diessen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

when we arrived at the hotel,we thought we could easy walk to the centre. Well it's ok during the day but i wouldn't recomend it later in the evening. The hotel is ok, The room was big and clean but next time i think we will get a hotel closer to the nicer part of victoria.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your review of our centrally located hotel. Most of our guests prefer our location to the inner harbour area as we are centrally located and 20 minutes walk to the inner harbour. The hotel itself is also centrally located to Mayfair Mall, Uptown Mall and many of Victoria's wonderful tourist attractions. It really depends on what you are looking at doing while your in the Victoria area. An added bonus that we offer compared to any inner harbour hotel is FREE parking for all of our guests.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Regards,

england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Hotel is a long way from the centre and the walk is along a busy main road with furniture showrooms and car dealerships.

Beware of the pet friendly policy as you may end up with a barking dog in the room next door. We did and had to move rooms - hotel did this readily but nevertheless it was hassle forus.

Rooms were large and clean and bed was comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This place is a real mix of good and bad, and which side wins depends on what's most important to you. My travel plans changed pretty late in the game, and I had to change hotel plans, as most of the Victoria hotels were full. I was staying several days and needed a place with a kitchen, and the Sandman delivered. For $149/night, I got a room with a small-but-serviceable kitchen - small fridge, 2 burner stove, MW & CM, with basic dishes, flatware, and cooking pans in good shape. The room, bed, bath, living room, and temperature control were all comfortable, though a bit old fashioned and worn. The room was quiet, even though it is on a busy street. But... it was only relatively clean (though not horrible), the daily cleaning service left a lot to be desired, there were white deposits on the drapes (everything that I can imagine these stains to be is gross), both TVs were old and the signal reception poor, and the staff very inconsistent - they were friendly until you asked anything of them, then they were rude. They would not let me check in early. My big problem, though, was that the hotel is not in a very good area. It is in an industrial mix, and I was bothered several times by panhandlers in the hotel parking lot. There is a liquor store adjacent to the parking lot, which is nice if you want to make a purchase, but is undoubtedly one reason that they have problems with bums. When out walking, men in cars would pull over and wait for me to pass by; it was quite disconcerting, and later my colleagues said that the hotel is in an area frequented by prostitutes (though this was NOT a problem in the hotel). There was no pleasant place to take an evening walk from the hotel. I didn't try either the bar (which was busy and noisy) or the breakfast. On the plus side, though, the hotel is within a 15-minute walk of The Moon Under Water Brewpub, and another 15 minutes to the main tourist section.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We value the feedback of all of our guests. I am sorry that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations. We strive on quality and satisfaction for all of our guests.

In regards to your comments regarding our rooms, we are in the process of upgrading our hotel and our rooms. Over the last year we have installed flat screen tv's in half of our hotel rooms, added new carpet to many guest rooms, and are in the process of adding new bedding to all of our suites. We will also be adding new furniture to a selection of our guest rooms. All of these upgrade will help to enhance the guest experience for all of our valued guests.

We have discussed your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room and can assure you we pride ourselves on our cleanliness and will ensure that all of these housekeeping concerns are rectified immediately.

I am sorry that we were unable to accommodate your early request on check in, however we were a full house the night before and were unable to get you in to your room at your early arrival. We do guarantee the check in time of 4pm. In our peak season we do our best to try to accommodate these requests, however we can't guarantee it.

I have also noted your comments on the area of the hotel. We are located downtown and as in any city we do our best to prevent incidents like this from happening on hotel property. We do have regular security patrols that take place of the interior and exterior areas of the hotel to keep any instances such as what you encountered to a very minimum. Unfortunately as in any city these instances are beyond our control but we will and always do our best to prevent this from occurring on hotel property.

We are also located close to many wonderful parks, one of my favourites is a nice walk along the Gorge.

I always want to ensure that our guests are satisfied and comfortable when staying with us. As this seems to not be the case with your recent stay I would be more than happy to discuss this with you in more detail. I can be reached at the hotel directly and look forward to having the opportunity to further discuss your stay with us.

Again thanks for your feedback and we do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and do our best to exceed your expectations.

Regards,
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Super great service. Very accommodating. It was much quieter than I thought it would be considering the location and locale of our room above the Shark Club. Room was very clean, but a bit tired. Bedding and décor were old-style. Some freshening up to the décor would be a huge improvement. Beds were comfy and seemed quite new.
Very pleasant experience overall.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandman Hotel Victoria? Share your experiences!