“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Victoria

You added Sandman Hotel Victoria to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Victoria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2852 Douglas Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8T 4M5, Canada (Burnside)   |
Ranked #45 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Lloydminster, Canada
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

The hotel staff were courteous and the hotel was generally clean. The room was nice, although the bathroom was a bit outdated and the TV was ancient. Overall a pleasant experience, although it was a little pricey for what you get.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Room was adequately appointed amenities wise, however they still have CRT TV's, flat screens would be a nice addition. Biggest disappointments were the quality of cleanliness and consistency of staff. Extensive stains on the curtains left much to the imagination on how they got there, and the booger on the bed spread was a nice surprise. Staff service level was inconsistent, tasks one agent was able to do others were unable and said "the system" wouldn't allow them.... when I had accomplished the same task the night before. I would not say it was terrible, but left much to be desired.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
We thank you very much for your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. We here at the Sandman Hotel Victoria always strive to exceed the expectations of all of our guests. We pride ourselves on our excellent guest services and cleanliness to our rooms.

I will be addressing this with the appropriate departments so we can ensure we don't fall short on our guests expectations. I can also let you know that one third of all of our guest rooms have new flat screen televisions and more rooms will be getting new flat screen upgrades this year, as well as new furniture packages, new duvets and covers and many more upgrades to our rooms. Again we are always working towards upgrading and listening to what our guests want and expect when they stay with us.

If you would like to contact me directly I would be more than happy to discuss your stay further and ensure on your next visit we not only meet but exceed your expectations.

Kindest Regards,

Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Delivered service as promised. Our family room was clean and quiet. We slept well and that is what we were paying for. Fridge, coffee maker and microwave a bonus as we stayed 5 nights. Ample towels...always nice. Would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Nanaimo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

The hotel itself is nice, but unfortunately it was a busy weekend with many different types of teams staying here. Everything is easily heard between rooms, the beds were not very comfortable and the food in the restaurant is overpriced. Staff was nice, kids had a great time in the pool but noise level way too much. Because of the Sharks club at street level attached to the hotel, some extremely sleezy looking girls and very loud people who had too many drinks which was not appropriate for young kids to be seeing. Would definitely recommend the Sandman but on a quieter weekend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Whistler
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I have stayed here twice in the last month - I moved rooms because the first room smelt of smoke and was upgraded to a room with a kitchenette.
On my recent visit my company booked through Expedia so was in a standard "Expedia" room on my last stay - comfortable but no fridge or kitchen _ I would not use Expedia again as you can get the same rate as a Starplus member or if you have BCAA - I like milk in coffee but with no fridge this is an issue - Front Desk makes a fresh pot very early so that helps. The staff are great and free internet is a perk. Nice pool if you have time to relax.
The hotel is awkward to reach - I have a GPS and it was horrible locating the hotel in rush hour - Use Google maps. Parking is underground which I like.
Skip the Shark Club breakfast - The server - Jennifer is great and full of smiles but the food is awful - Burnt toast on the one visit and eggs swimming in oil on both ocassions - The Eggs were vovercooked and edges burnt - How difficult is it to cook eggs over easy for breakfast?

Room Tip: Ask to be away from Ice machines and elevators
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time post your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of my team and we do pride ourselves on our commitment to exceeding our guests expectations with our service.

We are easily accessible with two entrances off of Douglas Street and one entrance off of Gorge Road. We are right at the intersection of Douglas and Hillside and Gorge Road. I am sorry that you had some difficulty locating us.

Our kitchenette suites are very popular as they add the convenience to any traveller with full kitchenette facilities. If you are a member of our Starplus program or would like to join, based on availability we will offer a complimentary upgrade based on availability.

I will pass on your comments to our Shark Club team as they do pride themselves on the quality of food they serve and sorry that it did not meet your expectations.

Thanks again for your feedback and again I will share this with all of our team and we hope to see you again real soon and exceed your expectations on your next visit.

Regards,

Sandman Hotel Victoria
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

When I booked the Sandman in Victoria I didn't do my homework too well.... I thought this was a downtown hotel with everything within walking distance. Not doing my homework before a trip is so unlike me. But as I drove from the harbor to the hotel I realized my error.

Sandman is located a couple of miles north of the city center. There's not much to do and the liquor store across the parking lot didn't make it any better at first sight. But like many other hotels the surroundings didn't seem to influence the standard of the hotel nor did I have any problems with the liquor store. This is Canada after all.

The hotel is clean and it's worth the money spend on it. It's not more, it's not less. The rooms are nice, the pool is nice and the location actually became very convenient when I headed north a couple of days later. But that's it... It's nothing special and I don't think it is meant to be more than ordinary.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Rochdale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Stayed here 1 night in September 2011. Location a bit far out of downtown Victoria. Check in good - friendly staff. Reasonable size room at back of hotel, so nice and quiet. Free on site parking. Didn't use hotel for dining. Went into downtown. Had a drink at the sports bar - service good but very noisy! Hotel fine if you are travelling.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks you so much for your feedback regarding your stay with us back in September 2011.

We are in fact in the downtown area, and are 2.3km ,10 minute drive to the inner harbour. Guests seem to like our location for the fact that we are centrally located to all of the great attractions throughout Victoria and we do offer free parking.

It is a ten minute drive and 25 minute walking distance to the inner harbour. We also have a bus stop located right outside the hotel which can take your directly to the inner harbour or other various attractions in the Victoria area. Some guest prefer this for the convenience of not having to pay or locate parking in the inner harbour area

We also have been and will continue to add new features to our guest rooms to ensure our guests have an enjoyable and well deserved stay with us. Our front desk team can assist you with any area tourist recommendations as well in this great city

We hope we will see you again soon!

Regards,

Sandman Victoria

Been to Sandman Hotel Victoria? Share your experiences!