“Zed work super well for me!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Zed

You added Hotel Zed to your Saves list
Hotel Zed
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   3110 Douglas Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8Z 3K4, Canada (Burnside)   |
Ranked #31 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Nanaimo, Canada
“Zed work super well for me!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I'd notice this property which I believe was a makeover from a shabby motel just off the edge of downtown Victoria and heard stories about its funkiness. Since I didn't need to be located right in the heart of town for this trip, I thought I'd give it a shot. Was I ever pleased and surprised when I arrived. The attitude and friendliness of staff impressed me right away and the typewriters in the lobby were a bit of a tipoff that this was going to be different. I knew this would be a 'budget' experience, but the room was super clean and fresh, decorated in the retro style they promise in their promotions and very, very comfortable. Their branding was impeccable, including a note on a cork board with advice on how to operate a rotary dial phone -- complete with QR code so you can scan and watch a video on your phone in case the printed directions don't suffice! The bikes for loan and VW shuttle van are a nice touch, as well as the ping pong tables. I didn't have time for the pool and hot tub but it looked very clean. I have to say, I had a great sleep every night -- the bed was perfect for me. I actually looked forward to returning to my room in the evenings, which is more than I can say for most hotels with prices twice as high as Zed. I found the whole experience cheery, relaxing and refreshing. Way to go Zed!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
RICHMOND
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our family of 4 stayed at Hotel Zed for 2 nights this past month. We had booked this a couple of months ago and were very much looking forward to staying in this 'hip happening' motel... we even brought some records with us to play........ I called a day or two before we were arriving, just to confirm our reservation etc. I had requested a kettle, which they did place in our room. Unfortunately, there were no coffee filters provided for the coffeemaker. I had specifically asked about that in advance, because I had brought coffee. The whole point was so we wouldn't have to get up and get dressed just to have a cup of coffee.............Unfortunately, no one told me that there would be 2 flights of stairs to our room.......I never thought to ask about stairs when I booked. It would have been helpful at the time I made the reservations if stairs would be a problem, because I called the hotel directly to make the reservation......and believe me, stairs are a problem for someone with bad knees...........The 'sweet suite' we stayed in was very basic......no luggage racks to put suitcase, so all luggage had to be sat on the floor (bending down to root through a suitcase is also awkward for someone with knee problems) There wasn't even a chair in the bedroom....the bathroom fan was covered with dirt.......it was that noticeable.....a couple of fans were plugged in: one in the bedroom and one on in the 'kitchen area' which might have been because they were trying to air out the room ?? ( fans are typically not needed in November)......it seems that while smoking is not permitted, the smell of smoke on our floor was evident each time we entered/exited our floor....Overall the room seemed clean, but there were not any extras; one pillow per person. The room was very dark.....the 70's style lamps were not very bright and it was hard to see read.....the rotary telephone was great......but didn't work so well......even calling the office required several attempts.........the space was cramped and awkward.......
We discovered too late that the fridge worked like a freezer.....by Sunday morning, everything was frozen...milk, fruit, vegetables.......and ended up having to be chucked in the garbage....so much for bringing our own food........the typewriters were kind of fun, but the ink ribbons were all used up, so there was no point in typing something.............the noise on Friday night from the folk in the parking lot at the KFC adjacent to the motel was bothersome......all in all, our experience at Hotel Zed was a 'lunch bag letdown'; not be repeated..........I was taken aback by the $100 damage deposit that is requested at time of check-in..........after I heard that, I then realized that this hotel, while having the best of intentions, may attract a 'rougher' clientele......and it did make us feel like I didn't want to spend much time there.

Room Tip: Inquire about stairs, if you have any mobility issues.........
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
hotelzed, General Manager at Hotel Zed, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Marie M

We appreciate you taking the time to offer your feedback. I am very sorry we didn't met your expectations as we are working hard to create an awesome experience for our guests here at Hotel Zed. I would love the chance to win you back with our concept. It sounds like we could have been better on some things like the freezer and type writers. I apologize for that. The room set ups are definitely different than most hotels. With a valid credit card, we simply take a $100 pre authorization to cover incidentals much like most hotels these days.
If you would like to discuss things further I would be happy to chat over the phone.

Sincerely
Nanaimo, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had specifically mentioned the need for a quiet, no pet room when I booked with the staff. She assured me that there would be no issues with the room that she had reserved for my family, and based on this, I did book for 3 nights. On Sat, when we returned to our hotel room, we had a very large dog growling and barking incessantly at us as we opened our door and hurling himself at the door as if to attack. The dog continued for well over an hour to bark and growl, and lunged towards the door that separates the 2 rooms. I did contact the hotel front desk and was told he would call the owners and confirmed that this was not a pet-sanctioned room and that the hotel guests must have snuck the dog into their room. Needless to say, we were then offered another room that had only 1 bed! Since my husband, son and I had booked a 2 bedroom room based on 3 of us staying, we could not simply move to a room with only 1 bed for the 3 of us. This was also in the late evening at about 9:30pm. I did not sleep at all that night, and the dog did continue to bark every time one of us would get up to go the bathroom or walk near the separating door for some time.

I spoke with the front desk just after 7 in the morning and was advised that the assistant manager was not in until 8am. I told the staff that I wanted to resolve this matter urgently but had to leave the room with my family for the early swim start. When I returned later that day, I was extremely upset with how my concerns were handled. The assistant manager advised that the people with the dog had been asked to sign a pet policy form to remain in the room (which was still not a “pet assigned room”). I was incredulous at the fact that the people who failed to adhere to the hotel rules were allowed to remain in the same room and did express my profound disappointment with the assistant manager. I was upset that my family was honest and followed all of the rules and had to feel unsafe in our room and yet the guests were not asked to leave or moved to another room. The assistant manager offered to move us to a suite, which was fine (as it offered 2 beds which we needed), but I felt that it was done simply to appease the people who had the dog, not us.

I feel that how this situation was handled was very unfair to my family. In my hotel check-in notes, it was clearly stated that it was important that we were in a quiet room and away from pet rooms that might cause more noise. Had we not made the effort in advance, perhaps I would not have felt so duped. What makes me feel very unhappy with my stay is that I had no issues with remaining in the room which we had booked, and yet, we had to move because the aggressive dog was permitted to remain in the room. Being “upgraded” to a suite on our 3rd night of stay did not feel as special as it might seem since we simply required 2 beds and had no need of a kitchenette or pull-out sofa. Without any sleep from the night before, we then had to pack up all of our belongings and relocate again which really did not make much sense. We were not the PROBLEM and yet we were packing up our suitcases.

The other issue that I had with how we were treated was on Saturday when I spoke with the assistant manager. As I mentioned, I had gone to the front desk at 7am that morning advising that I wanted to deal with this issue before it got too late in the day and ensure that my contact details were on file as well as my complaint regarding the dog. He advised that he or his staff had tried several times to contact us to discuss this issue. I then pulled out my phone and showed the assistant manager that absolutely no calls were placed to my phone (which was on file when I had booked the 3 nights). He then advised that they had called us in our room which was confusing and frustrating since I had left by the time a manager arrived at the hotel. Why was I not contacted by phone to ask if I wanted to move to another room or advised that the dog was being permitted to stay? Had I been contacted on my phone (as they had done with the owners of the dog), I could have had the opportunity to decide whether or not to remain at the hotel as a guest or book another hotel room.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
hotelzed, General Manager at Hotel Zed, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Nicole S

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns with us. I am terribly sorry that you and your family had to go through this experience. It sounds like we could have handled things differently and I would love the chance to discuss it further with you over the phone.

Pitt Meadows, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My stay at Hotel Zed was great! Friendly and helpful staff got me taken care although I changed plans at the last minute. I was also able to get shuttle service downtown without any issue (cool split-window VW van!). Room was spacious and tastefully decorated with Austin Powers like vibe. All amenities I needed were available. Absolutely will be back again!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
hotelzed, General Manager at Hotel Zed, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
AngelaClancy

Hey thanks for taking the time to review Hotel Zed. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and got a chance to ride in the VW Bus. Hope to see you again in the future.

Ellensburg, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Normally when I travel, I am on a music teacher's budget. Translation: I spend every moment feeling guilty for spending money. Staying in hotels is a luxury and when it happens, my budget does not generally purchase quality. That all changed with Hotel Zed. Here is the short version if you don't feel like reading the rest:

1. Insanely clean, bright rooms.
2. Staff that goes above and beyond to help you with anything and everything, even if that is just someone to chat with over your morning coffee.
3. Comfortable bed!!!!! Decadently, I-have-never-slept-so-well-in-a-hotel, please don't make me get up comfortable! Seriously, I looked forward to my date with it every night.
4. Larger room than expected.
5. Close to a busy street; traffic noise could bother some travelers
6. You'll get an experience worth telling your friends about.

Some further ramblings if you are interested:

The owner of this hotel, Mandy, had a clear vision when she did the remodel last year. That vision is consistent and it works. What guests get is a blast back to the sixties and a hotel that feels like it is just being true to itself. There is genuine personality there. Mandy was one of the first people we met after arriving and she was as cheerful, chatty, and helpful just like every member of her staff. She genuinely loves her odd little brightly-colored corner of the world and is eager to share it. They are also open to input and feedback about the guest experience. After talking with them, I know that my next trip will be even better.

Is the location perfect? No. Yet if you are in as friendly a city as Victoria, that doesn't really matter. Assuming you can't catch the VW Shuttle Bus (which is highly unlikely since it was always available when we needed it) you have options. If you fancy hoofing it, the Galloping Goose trail is a lovely experience, particularly the trip over the former railroad trestle. The front desk staff and Mandy gave us really clear directions as well as helping us find the pub we wanted to visit. That is my definition of a pal. If you don't feel like a walk, there were cabs, buses, and in one notable moment, total strangers gave us a ride when they saw us caught in a rain storm. With a little ingenuity, you can find your way around. If you are sensitive to the noise of traffic, this particular spot might pose problems for you as it is close to one of the main drags in the city. If this is the case, when you book I recommend talking to the staff to make sure they reserve a room for you away from the street. From everything we saw, they will be happy to oblige.

At the end of the day, my friend and I value having an experience above all else. We don't travel to sit around at a hotel. With Zed we found someplace where we could sleep comfortably and safely, get help from staff whenever we needed it, and have enough $$$ left in our budget to do and see everything we wanted to in Victoria. Here comes one giant thank you for helping make our trip to Victoria one to remember!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
hotelzed, General Manager at Hotel Zed, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Ellethera

Wow! Thanks for the awesome review! We really appreciate the kind words and are so happy you enjoyed the Hotel Zed concept. I hope we can welcome you back sometime soon.

Abbotsford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

We booked this hotel last minute and sadly got the last room right beside the road! It was super loud during the night to say the least! I'm writing this review but I'm sure it has gotten better since we went back in July when they had just first opened up and not everything had been tweaked yet! There was no plug in in the bathroom which was odd and inconvenient for hair straightener users! The beds were the best thing about the place! Sooooooooo comfy! I would stay here again but not NOT in the summer time! They do not have air conditioning and the room was very warm! The style is very unique and retro which was cool tho!

Room Tip: Do not get the first room by the road!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
hotelzed, General Manager at Hotel Zed, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear PandaHugs

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review! Sounds like you enjoyed the concept but we could improve in a few areas and we thank you for bringing this to our attention. The road noise is tough for us to combat but we'd love to show you how quiet we can be so please contact me offline and I will make sure your next stay is outstanding! We will be making sure all rooms have wall plugs in the bathroom and we are looking at the feasibility of adding a/c to the rooms.

Thanks again for your comments!

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

Stayed overnight in the Sweet Suite with a family of 4 and a dog. We enjoyed the spacious room and sitting area. The kitchenette came with plates, utensils and basic cooking tools. Wish we got to try the free bikes as the Galloping Goose is a short ride away from the hotel. Wish we got to try the slide and the pool, lounge and listen to the vinyl, and send postcards on the old-fashioned typewriter.

• Stayed August 2014
hotelzed, General Manager at Hotel Zed, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear Rubaig89

Thanks for taking the time to review Hotel Zed! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and got a chance to try the bikes. Hopefully we will welcome you back sometime soon to enjoy all the other amenities.

Chris Knight

Been to Hotel Zed? Share your experiences!