“Fun and Funky!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Zed

You added Hotel Zed to your Saves list
Hotel Zed
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   3110 Douglas Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8Z 3K4, Canada (Burnside)   |
Ranked #29 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Comox, British Columbia, Canada
“Fun and Funky!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The staff were super friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean with very fun decor!
I really loved that you can sign out a bicycle complete with helmet and lock to explore the city on!
All in all a great experience and I would go back!

Room Tip: The rooms in the back of the hotel are further from Douglas street and quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
hotelzed, General Manager at Hotel Zed, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear TCon_68

Thanks for choosing to stay at Hotel Zed. We appreciate your feedback as we complete our renovation. We do apologize for the construction noise and I am sorry you were mislead to believe it would be painting only. Luckily we will be done very soon.
Thank you for mentioning the storage space for clothing. The filing cabinet is indeed meant to act as a dresser, a fun twist to otherwise boring hotel dresser! We will be adding a place to hang clothes in those rooms very soon.
We will definitely look into the inconsistency of the housekeeping service you experienced. It is definitely not the norm here at Hotel Zed.
I hope you will come back and try us again soon. We believe we have a great hotel and would love to prove to you how great we can be!

Chris Knight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

When I booked this room, I was not told renovations were being done and that the pool was not available during the day. they put me in the back right beside where there is banging drilling and sawing going on all day. I had a strange Man unlock and enter my room. There is no coffee or tea pot in the room. This is my holiday and it is being ruined. I was so tired from driving here today and have gotten no rest because of the noise. Can't wait to leave. Thanks for nothing. No discount was offered and I am paying 100.00 a day.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
hotelzed, General Manager at Hotel Zed, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Judyva2

I am sorry you were not told about the construction upon check in. We are doing our very best to minimize any noise, avoiding early mornings and evenings. As our new waterslide and hotub are being installed, we unfortunately have to shutdown our pool during the day time hours. A wide variety of coffees and teas are available in our brand new lobby, far exceeding what we could offer in room. I would love for you to offer us a second chance to prove what a fabulous place Hotel Zed is to stay. Please contact me directly to discuss further.

cknight@hotelzed.com
Chico, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

The Hotel Zed website is well done and sells the property well.

The rooms are much as described -- clean with new, fun furnishings. The bikes are new and nice, the motel sign and colors are cool, and the flower baskets add to curb appeal. Free, screaming-fast wi-fi.

What's not clear, however, is that the property is a bargain-rate motel (previously called the Blue Ridge Inn) that is in the process of being renovated. And that's a big part of the problem that is not going to be overcome by good marketing and desire to be hip.

• The walls are extremely thin, which all the creative furnishings in the world won't fix.
• The bathroom door didn't close. Original door, tub, tile.
• Zed is on a very busy road across from a large mall. We were in the back and our view was of the Toyota dealership next door. There's a Kentucky Fried Chicken in the parking lot. It, a Denny's and the mall food court are the only available eating places nearby.

And that leads to the real issues with our stay: Zed is under construction. There is an oblique mention on the website to "some amenities" not being available until June 2014. We were there the last week in May and they were a long way off from available.

No restaurant. No pool. No hot tub. No sauna. No ping-pong room. No rotary-dial phones in the rooms.

The construction was the worst part -- it started early in the morning and there was plenty of construction mess and dust. Our stay was during the week, so it was particularly bad.

We tried to connect with a manager on our final day to express concerns about the experience, versus what the website offered. We were told that the construction was why the rooms were only $85 per night and would be $149 a night when the work was complete.

We asked to speak to a manager and were told the associate manager would be in at 8 a.m. We waited until 8:30 and checked back: He was running late because of the rain.

We left full contact information (email, cell, address) with the very polite, very young desk clear. We have not been contacted.

If you want a clean, decent room in a fun, funky motel for $85 a night, this is the place. But think twice before paying $149.

Room Tip: Be sure that you room is on the second floor, toward the back and away from the housecleaning statio...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am sorry we did not meet your expectation in some of the areas you noted. We have tried our very best to minimize the construction disturbance to our guests. Luckily our pool has been back up and running for a few weeks now in the evenings and on weekends. We have received our last delivery of rotary phones just this week so all rooms have them now. I do apologize that no manager was available to talk to when you checked out. I would be happy to discuss any of these issues with you to earn your trust for your next visit to Victoria. I can be reached at cknight@hotelzed.com

Milwaukie, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I spent the memorial weekend here at Hotel Zed. Booked through the ferry company with added on ziplining tour. I picked this hotel for the free bike rental, price, and experience of staying in a non chain hotel. The bikes were great and I used them for the whole weekend! I would recommend test riding the bike to guarantee proper adjustment for seat height. This hotel did not have the shuttle running yet from downtown by the ferry to the location ($12) taxi ride. I would recommend this place for bike enthusiasts, people looking for a cheap vacation, or someone who wants a no fuss place. The rooms were clean, bright, and convenient with a mini kitchen inside. I was given an upgraded room with two separate bedrooms. Definitely a place to stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
hotelzed, General Manager at Hotel Zed, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi Kari, thank you for the great review! We are having a blast transforming this motel into the cool, hip place to stay in Victoria. You will be happy to know this week we have opened our ping pong lounge and our 1967 VW shuttle bus will be up and running. We hope you have a chance to come back and stay with us again.

Seattle, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

My husband found this gem at the last minute for this Memorial Day weekend. The hotel is still being finished, and I will add another star at that point (we already plan to go back). It is refreshing to see older buildings get remodeled and put to great use.
Pros:
* Comfortable, well decorated rooms
* All facilities in good working order and very clean. Laundry room available.
* Pet friendly - with a dog groomer and pet store about 1.5 blocks away on Burnside (we did not need these, but it's handy to know they are there).
* Bike friendly - this was a big deal for us. We had five bikes in our party, divided among 2 rooms. There was plenty of room to store them. Also, hotel has bikes you can use.
* Walking/running/biking trail. The hotel is about 2 blocks from an entrance to the Galloping Goose trail. One direction takes you downtown, the other out towards Sooke. Be advised, the trail becomes gravel at Colwood (8-10 miles out). This trail also has a nearby connection to a trail towards Sydney. If you take the trail towards downtown, I noticed that there are water taxi docks. This could be a fun way to get into town on a nice day.
* Proximity to downtown. You are out of the hustle and bustle, but only a few minutes away - 5 minutes by car. Because you are out of the tourist swirl, you get a great
* Value - prices are great. We paid an extra $20 CDN per night for the dogs.
* Pool - very nice to have if you have busy people (children) with you, or you just want to move around after a long drive. While we were there, the workmen were installing the slide. Can't wait to see how that turns out. Finding the entrance was a bit of a mystery, but I expect it will be easier when construction is finished.
* Nearby amenities include a Starbucks and the wonderful Spoons Diner (see my review). A mall is across the street, but we didn't go in. There is also a Denny's and a KFC on the block, if you are so inclined.
* Stylish touches like rotary phones, typewriters and record player in the lobby make it feel like a boutique hotel.
* Friendly staff. Decidedly NOT boutique hotel snobs. Very friendly and low-key staff.
* Free Wi-Fi. Super handy for us with our US phones. My kids sure used it!
* Mini fridge in room.

Cons:
* In our rooms, there were windows over the closet area which let in the hall light at night. We found a way to cover them up, but it was a drawback. These windows were great for ventilation and daylight, however.
* Thin walls. We were able to hear other guests coming and going into the night. I had to admonish my loud children to keep their voices down. The hotel is located on a busy highway, so there is traffic noise. Come prepared for these things (night visor, earplugs). There was a fan in my room for white noise.
* Little bumps - I needed change for the laundry machines and the front desk did not have it. Another kind guest ran to her car for a bucket of change, but she didn't have loonies either. I ended up going to the local gas station. Problem solved, but these are things the hotel should be ready for. I imagine these things will get better as the staff gets more experienced.
* Hotel still under construction. There was no work done over the weekend, but by Monday morning they were at it hammer and tongs. Probably not a major issue, as I am sure construction is done mainly during the work week. I expect most guests would be out touring during those times.

Overall, this is a great hotel. My kids want to stay there next year.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear TravelMom2005

Thank you for the glowing review! We really appreciate it. You will be happy to know for your next visit we will have small blinds for those windows to block the light at night. Construction is coming to an end with just our waterslide and hotub to be installed any day now. Not sure how we ran out of change at the front desk... Must have been a run on loonies for the washers but we will make sure we have ample supply going forward.

Look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

This is an old motel that is almost fully renovated. The 60's Retro decor appealed to us and our college aged children. They were thrilled to use the typewriters, keurig coffee machine and record player. The pool, sauna and exercise area will be completed soon. We enjoyed the free bikes and helmets on the trail system and around downtown. The young enthusiastic staff was exceptionally helpful, they went above and beyond our expectations. We will definitely stay here on our next trip to Victoria!

Room Tip: When you pull into the parking lot don't be scared away by the tiny windows. The rooms have larg...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Gt. Yarmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The Blue Ridge is a very good budget option with free WiFi, a large shower, plenty of hot water, it is clean and has a television. It is conveniently situated on a bus route. The only downers were no tea/coffee facilities and no breakfast. Recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Zed? Share your experiences!