“Wishing we had read reviews” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Strathcona Hotel

You added The Strathcona Hotel to your Saves list
The Strathcona Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   919 Douglas St | British Columbia, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 2C2, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #36 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
St. Peters MO
“Wishing we had read reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stayed two nights in the Strathcona recently. What a nice location! Employees were very friendly. The room was a decent size and decorated just fine. However, the heat, humidity and noise were unbearable. We tried leaving the windows open to capture the cool, pleasant air outside. But the noise, filthy language , and very loud music were too much. Got no sleep at all. After closing the windows, even tho there was a fan in our room, the room was extremely uncomfortable. Plus, the noise even came through the closed windows. We should have asked for a different room but we decided we'd rather see Victoria than take time to make the request and then possibly spend time moving. I doubt that a small window air conditioner for that room would cost this hotel nearly as much as the discomfort of the noise and heat cost their guests.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I love the Srathcona becuase they have 6 bar/restaurants.I am not a sports fan so I don't go to their in-your-face sports bar, but I go to the subdued sports bar and the restaurant.This year I went to the rooftop surf club for the first time.The food is first class and it is one of my favourite bars.I have also purchased a few bottles from the attached liqour store and tickets to the annual Highland Games.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Joel C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Hi John. We may not be as big as Disneyland but we do have a lot of fun at the Strathcona Hotel and the Sticky Wicket. I am glad you had a chance to visit the Rooftop Surfclub Patio this year, Yes friends the patio is on the roof of the Sticky Wicket so you are 3 floors closer to the sun and away from the street traffic. The Hotel is a major sponsor of the Highland Games that is why we sell tickets for the event at the Strath Ale, Wine and Spirit Menchants. The Highland Games in Victoria is getting bigger and better every year and is a must do on my calendar.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My mom and I did a 24 hour jaunt to Victoria to check out the sights I haven't seen in over a decade, and the new Vikings exhibit. The Strathcona was the most reasonably priced hotel in the area, and appealed to my mom for its connection to the Sticky Wicket, and what we'd later learn, another 7 assorted establishments like the liquor store, hillbilly restaurant, rooftop restaurant (that was stellar), and more.

The rooms were small and dated, but I feel as if that is very intentional, and part of the charm. The most major drawback was a lack of air conditioning, but I've been informed thats pretty much every hotel in Victoria! Whats more, the staff was exceptionally gracious, helpful and friendly, and they made the experience very pleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Joel C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Hi Jensen, I hope you and you Mom enjoyed the Vikings exhibit. Thank you for taking time to comment about the Strathcona Hotel and the Sticky Wicket. See you again soon.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed one night. Very walkable to all the touristy stuff in Victoria. Reception was very nice. But to start with, their "on-site parking" is a lot across the street, not a garage, and our car was covered with bird crap. Our room was tiny, the air cond. was a 12" fan, no bathroom fan at all. The tv was an old-school 19" joke, and only 2 channels that we found were free. One, the news from Seattle. For ice, you go next door to the wine shop, and I mean out of the lobby door to the next business. They have a nice bar roof top up a bunch of stairs. No access from the hotel-you go around the corner. The room was clean but the ambiance sucked. Wouldnt bother again.

Room Tip: One night, it works.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Anyone in the service industry could take lessons from all their staff. Stayed here 6 days and did not meet anyone in any department that was other than the gold standard of service.
Had one experience myself of needing something above and beyond the usual and saw two other parties that had some big requests and they did them!
Room spotless.
No A/C which is typical of that area.
Needed to open window at night and this hotel is located in a busy area which made it noisy otherwise I would have given this hotel the highest possible rating.
Wonderful location. In the 6 days I was there I was able to walk to all the things I wanted to do with the exception of Butchart Gardens.
Notice some reviews on here that mention dated decor. They do have newly redone rooms that are VERY nice and spacious. For part of my stay, to save money, I opted for non-updated which was quite satisfactory for my needs.
The restaraunt, The Sticky Wicket, on their premises, is excellent and prices slightly below other places I checked on.
This is one of Victoria's 3 origional hotels. Wonderful wood detail on the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street and the roof top lounge.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Joel C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
WorldWonderer, I am very pleased you enjoyed our beautiful city and the Strathcona Hotel. Yes I also think we have a very dedicated and wonderful staff. Your comments about our hotel, location, air conditioning and room styles this should be very helpful to future hotel guests. Thank you for taking time to wright this review.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is an older hotel located in the perfect spot for walking around Victoria. But don't be put off by the word "older." There's no smells or funkiness about it; it's charming. No fridge or microwave, but has all other amenities and is close to shopping, restaurants, bars, and historical buildings. All for a good price.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Deb, Thank you for writing a review about the Strathcona Hotel. Your comments truly reflect our property. We hope to see you again soon in our wonderful city.
British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed here on someone's suggestion but if I had researched the hotel I likely wouldn't have stayed here. Our room was quite small and had a double bed although we had been told there would be a queen. No air conditioning and it was a hot night. No fan either. We opened the window the couple inches it would allow, and made do.
Room was old but it was clean.
Breakfast was fine- bagels, coffee etc. big screen TVs to watch World Cup.
Hotel is in a great location if you want to spend time out on the town. Other people staying there seemed to be young people on a budget. I wouldn't stay here a second time as there are too many options in Victoria and this is too old and uncomfortable for my tastes and budget.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Joel C, Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Mamesthename. Thank you for your review. Yes we are well located in downtown Victoria and do offer very economical rates. We do have larger updates rooms with two queen sized beds for traveller that are looking for more amenities. I hope you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful city and will return again soon.

Been to The Strathcona Hotel? Share your experiences!