“This is our new "first choice" hotel in Victoria” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Magnolia Hotel And Spa

You added Magnolia Hotel And Spa to your Saves list
Magnolia Hotel And Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   623 Courtney Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1B8, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Boxing Weekend - 40% Off
Ranked #2 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Calgary
“This is our new "first choice" hotel in Victoria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

I usually stay at the Empress, but decided to give Magnolia a try. I was not disappointed. The employees at this hotel are exceptional. Not just good or great - but exceptional. They are friendly, helpful, and have a wonderful sense of humour. The hotel itself oozes charm in a way that only a small boutique hotel can. The decor is both tasteful and warm.

There was a flat screen T.V. in the room, and if you have a laptop you have free internet access. If you don't have a laptop, the hotel has a business desk in the lobby and you can surf for $2.95 per 30 minutes. All the time you need to look up movie listings and show times.

The bathrooms are slightly more spacious than you would normally get in a hotel. My room had both a soaker bath tub and a stand alone shower. A very nice touch. Oh, and the shower had good water pressure. Something often lacking in hotels. The rooms were kept quite clean and the hotel maids did a great job. After 5 they do a "turn-down" service and leave you with some Callebaut chocolates. The beds were quite comfy, and the down quilt nice (at least I think it was down).

I had a "city-view" room, which means I could look down onto the roofs of other buildings around me, lol. Lower rooms would likely just see the building beside them. I only mention this because some people are picky about the view. For me, it's usually not important. I figure I don't travel to Victoria just so I can stare out the window all day. There are "harbour view" rooms, but I think you might have to be on the upper floors to see it.

The location of this hotel can not be matched by any other in Victoria. You will find it right downtown on Courtney Street (beside the Bug Zoo). The hotel is right there amongst the shopping, restaurants, and pubs. And, it's a short little walk down to the harbour. Half a block away is a lovely little coffee shop that will make coffee art in your latte.

I did not try out the Spa, but it looks nice and the prices looked reasonable. The advantage of staying in a hotel with a Spa is they usually offer nice shampoo and conditioner in the room. Magnolia uses Aveda shampoo & conditioner (I liked it). They also give you a mini bath bomb to use in the soaker tub, as well as a disposable shaving kit. The Aveda facial bar soap is quite nice too.

Like most hotels, you can hear people talking in other rooms if they are talking or laughing loudly. But, there were no overly rowdy guests there so I had no problem sleeping.

I did get a deal on my room through Expedia and only paid $130 for my room. As we get later in the season, those prices will soon go up - but I think it's worth it just for location alone. For the same price at the Empress, you can get a room just above their kitchens and listen to pots and pans clanging. Don't get me wrong, I love the Empress - but I WORSHIP the Magnolia.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

So many people go to Victoria and want to stay at the Fairmont to have the "experience" and I would say that I thought about the same until I stayed with the Magnolia. The Magnolia is an amazing hotel. The rooms are great, Updated Victorian Style with flatscreen TV. I love the large windows and soaker tubs in the bathroom. They have a new amazing spa that just opened. They also have a great steak house. It is a smaller hotel and really is great because you are able to get more personalized service. The hotel also offers breakfast that is a nice touch for a 5 star hotel. I really like this hotel and I think anyone would once they give it a shot. All the amenities of the Fairmont, but updated and more stay friendly.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

Our stay at the Magnolia couldn't have been more pleasant - from the coffee and tea in the lobby, to the fresh fruit and flowers, to the uber-clean room, to the breakfast ... and the list could go on!
We were in Victoria for two days/one night for a weekend get-away, but I wish we could have stayed longer to enjoy the hotel. We arrived at 11am, directly from the Clipper ferry, and found that our room was already ready. We stayed in #212 - which appeared to be one of the largest rooms on the floor. The room was very comfy - with a warm down comforter, two bath robes, Aveda bath products, hair dryer, tea, coffee, etc. I agree, the views are nothing to write home about, but you merely have to leave the hotel front door to enjoy everything that Victoria has to offer.
One of the best parts of this hotel is the location - you are one block from the Empress, a two block walk to the inner harbor, one block from the main shopping drag, and a few blocks from the some of the best restaurants and pubs in Victoria.
The staff was certainly helpful and pleasant - although we really didn't need a whole from them during our stay. I'm sure if we had, they would have been more than willing and able.
Breakfast is included and really has everything you would need - toast, rolls, bagels, juice, cheese, yogurt, and make-your-own waffles.
The website bills it as boutique hotel, and I would image this is because of the smaller size. To be honest, it didn't feel like a boutique but rather like a smaller version of a 4 star chain like a Marriott or Hyatt, as it really has most the amenities of that type of hotel- except the value is much great because of the extras like wireless internet and breakfast at no additional charge.
Overall, we were more than impressed by the Magnolia - and when we return to Victoria, we certainly plan to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

In August 2008, we decided upon a week-long stay at the Magnolia hotel in the heart of Victoria after discovering a special advertised for a standard room for $199/night. Tourists from Calgary, we were looking for comfortable accommodations in a convenient location at a relatively low price. Though 200 dollars a night was steep, in contrast to other properties like the Marriott that were charging upwards of $250 a night, we decided to book the hotel.
When making our reservations, we were informed that there were no more standard rooms available for the price of $199/night; the reservation agent, whose name I believe was Mandy, gave us a double-free upgrade to a Club Diamond Corner Room; we were absolutely astounded by her friendly, cheerful attitude and were so grateful for her generosity. She also assisted us throughout our stay and we have never before received such attentive service from a hotel establishment.
Our arriving flight into Victoria was early, at around 7AM. We did not expect the hotel to have a room available for us, which was fine as we planned to do some light touring of the city. Upon arrival by the Airporter airport shuttle service, we were greeted warmly and our luggage was stored, free of charge. While providing contact information, the bellman/valet, Adam, informed us of an event that was taking place that day in front of the British Columbia Legislative Buildings; BC150, a free concert celebrating BC’s 150th year. Performances included Burton Cummings, Sarah McLachlan, and Feist. We are thankful for Adam’s continually positive and insightful service throughout our stay.
Checking into our beautifully designed 7th floor room, room 711, we noted the thoughtful touches upon arrival, including toffee, water, and plenty of office supplies. Though these were not replenished during our stay, it was still a welcomed bonus. The room had one comfortable king bed with a gas fireplace, with a view of the rest of downtown Victoria. The bath products were wonderful, and the bath bomb was a special touch, along with the nightly turn-down service.
The hotel’s location is golden, just a short walk from the main attractions of the city, and a block away from government street, with plenty of small, independent cafes and restaurants nearby. As far as food selections are concerned, the hotel’s buffet was of excellent value, with items such as muffins, eggs, waffles, cheese, bagels, bacon, etc. With regards to the music played in the restaurant during the morning, I must admit I found it to be an “interesting choice” however in no ways was it a negative aspect of the property. Across the street is a fantastic independently owned café called “Sandwich Corner Café”, which is well worth your visit. However, be weary of the prices posted on menus outside of restaurants -- often, the prices on the menus inside are greatly inflated. In particular, the restaurant “Wharfside” which is four blocks from the hotel nearly doubled their prices, which I found to be a scam of sorts.
Where service is concerned, the Magnolia certainly shines; all the staff is friendly and willing to answer any questions, giving inside advice on the secrets of Victoria. Our only complain with service is that often the maid service was slow, however, our room at the Magnolia was perhaps the most thoroughly-cleaned room we have yet to stay in, and like the rest of the hotel’s staff, housekeeping was extremely friendly and kind.
The only issues we experienced with the hotel was the limited in-room movie selections, having to pay for internet in the lobby (yet it is free in the room), and the fact that if you stay on a floor from 5-down, chances are you will be looking into a brick wall, or a parking garage across the street. Contrary to previous reviewers, I found the fitness room to be an adequate size for the hotel.
Overall, the Magnolia’s service is impeccable, as is the building’s location; however, beware of which room you receive, and look for special pricing/deals at the hotel. We likely would not return again due to the high price of the hotel; however we were incredibly lucky for receiving free upgrades, reasonable room rates, outstanding service, and many wonderful memories.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

We had booked our stay through Expedia. I had put in special requests for eraly check in and late check out. A week before our stay I called to confirm the early check in as our flight was arriving very early. They said they didn't see it being an issue. We arrived to the hotel on time, and our room wasn't quite ready, abount an hour. So we went for breakfast and came back. We were told only a few minutes. We waited about 45 minutes in the lounge before going back to the desk. We were told our room would be another hour and a half to be ready as they had given the cleaning staff the wrong room to clean. So we left to hotel and walked around downtown Victoria. After 2 hours our room was finally ready and we were exhausted. As we were checking in the front desk took our credit card for incidentals and gave us the check-in form to sign. It was for the wrong guests. I asked him to ensure that our credit card was removed from the other guests hotel profile. We finally got everything settled and were discussing taking a nap and ordering Room Service, at which point the front desk informed us that the restaurant would not be doing Room Service that night as they were too busy with reservations.
The hotel itself was okay. The walls were incredibly thin, and we were in room 709 which is across from the cleaning staff closet. All we heard the entire stay was cleaning staff talking and entering and existing this room and slamming the door - at all hours of the day! The bathroom didn't have a ventilation fan, so after a shower, the entire room would get very humid and hot. The A/C did not work.
On our way up to our room on the final night, I went to the desk to confirm, once again, late check out. It was not listed on our file. I requested it once again and we went to bed. Nothing else eventful happened during our stay. We enjoyed the free continental breakfast which was very good.
A few days after we arrived home, I noticed a $500 charge to our credit card from the hotel. I called, as I assumed they had charged us for the room as well as Expedia. The Magnolia couldn't find a record that they had processed our guest profile with any charges. Then I remembered the front desk had swipped our credit card on the WRONG guest profile when we were checking in. They did find this error, and then noted that the guests we had paid for were not asked for a credit card, as the front desk would have informed them that a credit card was already on file - so I got a refund and the other guests stayed for FREE. (Good for them I guess)

All-in-all, the hotel seems very unorganized, and there are the same quality hotels to stay at within the same area of Downtwon Victoria.

P.S. If you rent a car, do NOT park in the parkade across from the hotel. The first night we stayed there were 9 BREAK-INs in one night!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Strathmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

I have just arrived home from an amazing, relaxing and enjoyable stay at the Magnolia Hotel & Spa in Victoria, BC. They are offerring excellent rates right now while they complete the renovations and each nights stay includes a hot/cold breakfast on the 2nd floor.
Room 706 is a corner suite with a King bed and enough room to entertain up to four guests. The bathroom has a separate bath tub and shower and lots of room for sharing.
The staff at the hotel is fantastic and offer everyone who stays the specific guest attention that you can only get at boutique hotels.
A definite must stay!!!

• Liked — The small boutique feel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

My wife and I went to Victoria for the weekend for a final getaway before our second child is born early next year. We heard about the Magnolia through friends of ours that recommended it so we gave it a try. We were very happy with our stay. When we arrived at the hotel, we were helped immediately by the front desk. We were plesantly surprised that we had been upgraded at no extra charge to a room on the top floor with a view that faced the legislature building and the inner harbour. This is exactly what we wanted. However, let me preface this random act of kindness by the hotel with some facts: 1) I had made direct requests to the hotel about getting a quiet room on a high floor with a view twice, with hopes they would honour it; 2) It is off-season and the hotel was not full by any means; 3) This is a time of steep ecomomic crisis and hotels want to impress what few guests they have. Regradless, we probably got the room with the best view available. Top marks for that. The room was very nicely appointed and clean. The bathroom is nice, but perhpas on the small side, and does not have a fan. The hotel offers turn-down service (with chocolates! a nice touch), free water and apples in the room upon arrival, and a continental breakfast is included. The breakfast was perhaps the weakest part of the hotel services. Overall it was satisfactory, featuring make-your-own waffles, cheese, coldcuts, eggs, pasteries, juice and coffee. However, it was the exact same both mornings we were there, and there is a noticeable lack of fresh fruit (other than apples). Perhaps the lack-lustre breakfast options are just a reflection of the low occupancy of the hotel since other reviews I've read have raved about the breakfast. I'm sure peak season offers more. Every staff person we were in contact with was friendly and courteous. The valet parking is not a bad deal at $15/day+GST and the service was excellent. Overall, quite enjoyable and the view of the legislature at night lit up with lights is amazing! IF we were able to get this room again, I would stay here in a heartbeat. If we came here during peak season when it's busier, it may be a different story. Just be aware that this is a downtown hotel in a busy area and that not all rooms are equal. The farther from street-side the better.

• Liked — Location is great; view from our room was spectacular.
  • Disliked — The continental breakfast was a bit weak.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Magnolia Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!