“Great Location, but nothing extra special.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Magnolia Hotel And Spa

Save Saved
You added Magnolia Hotel And Spa to your Saves list
Magnolia Hotel And Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   623 Courtney Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1B8, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 57 hotels in Victoria
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Location, but nothing extra special.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We recently traveled to Victoria with our 2 children and decided on the Magnolia as we had stayed there a few years ago and enjoyed it. Well, it wasn't quite as good as we remembered. The location is great! That didn't change! But the room seemed to show a lot a wear and was quite small. The bathroom was bordering on claustrophobic, with a very low ceiling in the shower and I am only 5'2" tall! I also had about a 15 minute search for the hairdryer, not in the bathroom but in the closet! At night the noise from the street was very loud. We did have a lovely meal in the attached restaurant "Prime", but my husband was very disappointed there was no cooked breakfast available the following morning, even though there obviously was a full restaurant there. The complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby was very nice touch (for me, an avid coffee drinker) It wasn't as good as we remembered, and had nothing extra special to bring us back next time we are in Victoria.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
Dear Aussiejack1,
Thank you for your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa. We appreciate you sharing your feedback.
Our team was truly sorry to hear that your past stay did not measure up to the memories of your last visit. We strive for an exceptional and personalized guest experience at the Magnolia, and were disappointed to hear this stay did not meet this standard. We take our room housekeeping and maintenance very seriously, and I can assure you that any deficiencies and any worn or tired room elements are in process of being rectified to ensure we maintain the standard we have become known for. I was surprised to hear comments about our bathrooms and guest rooms being small. Typically we receive great feedback on our room sizes which range between 300 – 395 square feet in size. Similarly, our bathrooms are typically praised for their elegance and the fact that all rooms feature a separate shower and deep soaker tub. In both cases, I am sorry that you were disappointed in these elements of your stay. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your dinner in Prime Steakhouse, as well as our complimentary lobby coffee & tea available 24 hours per day.

I have forwarded my contact information to you by personal message and hope we can be in touch further. We would love to welcome you back to The Magnolia Hotel & Spa, and hope we can resolve any dissatisfaction from this past visit.

Yours Truly,

Bill Lewis
The Magnolia Hotel & Spa
Victoria, BC

974 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

My friend and I stayed at the Magnolia for a birthday celebration weekend. When I called for reservations, I mentioned the birthday and they reserved a very nice room (guaranteed 2 beds, even). Shortly after we checked in, they delivered a box of Rogers chocolates and a birthday card to the room. The room was nice, 2 comfortable beds, a nice gas fireplace and a clean, large bathroom. The robes were super comfortable. There was a nice flat screen tv - although we never turned it on. On Sunday, we had a spa morning massages, body scrub, facial and pedi-mani. The treatment rooms were great, very comfortable beds - all very relaxing. That night, we ate dinner at the Prime Steakhouse - we actually sat at the bar. It was very good, espeically, the lava cake dessert! There was a nice "continental" breakfast with fruit, assorted breads, waffles, yogurt and cereals. They also have coffee and tea in the lobby all day with live piano music at times. The lobby is a bit small, but still comfortable. Nice location near the Inner Harbor.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
'Diverkel',
We are thrilled to hear you had a great Girlfriend's Getaway stay with us, and enjoyed the Chocolates, the Spa and the deluxe continental breakfast.
We hope to see you back soon.

Best Regards,

Bill Lewis
The Magnolia Hotel & Spa
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Beautiful botique hotel located one block from the harbor. We had a fireplace in our room.

Service is the main reason for this review. The staff tripped over themselves to help out with anything.

I did their complimentary breakfast buffett, but wanted to take back a plate to the room for my wife. Being a work-a-holic I had my laptop with the food piled on top.

I couldn't get through the closed door out of the restaurant without risking tipping over the drinks. A staff member saw me struggling and opened the door. Good call staff member. Then she went above and beyond. She asked where I was going and I said back to the room. She not only called the elevate for me but pushed the floor button. She even offered to follow me up to make sure I could get into the room safely.

Service, Service, Service.

Room Tip: Ask for a fireplace if available.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Just returned from a stay at this hotel and it was absolutely wonderful. The location was perfect and close walking distance to the museum (wonderful), the Bay shopping center, and great restaurants. The harbour was practically across the street and made for a nice stroll along the pier. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay there again.
We went to the Burchard Gardens, beautiful, recommend going very early and take a camera.

Room Tip: The Diamond Level, front corner room is the best.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Now I know why Trip Advisor customers rate this as No. 1. This Hotel is a real jewel. The location is fantasic, the staff goes out of it's way to be of assistance. The room was pure luxury....loved the fireplace, the continental breakfast was one of the best continental breakfasts I have had. The bed was ever so comfortable. Would definitely recommend and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I went straight to the Magnolia website.
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

My 23 year old daughter and I stayed for three nights at the Magnolia and were very pleased with the hotel. Our room was comfortable and well appointed. The hotel location was great and the staff was most helpful. They helped us arrange a whale watching trip with a captain who went out of his way to make our adventure memorable for us. The breakfast was delicious with wonderful fresh fruit, made to order waffles and excellent pastries. We were totally satisfied with the hotel and being able to use a Trip Advisor coupon made the Magnolia a wonderful value. We would stay at this charming hotel again!

• Stayed May 2011
British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago and were very happy! We were impressed right from arrival. The staff were helpful and friendly, the hotel room was very clean and the bed very comfortable, and the location couldn't be better. Would highly recommend this hotel and we will be back!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Magnolia Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!