“Cottage was clean and bright and perfect for small children” 4 of 5 stars
Review of James Bay Inn Hotel, Suites & Cottage

You added James Bay Inn Hotel, Suites & Cottage to your Saves list
James Bay Inn Hotel, Suites & Cottage
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   270 Government St, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 2L2, Canada   |
Special Rate
Free upgrade or Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Vancouver, Canada
“Cottage was clean and bright and perfect for small children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

We recently stayed in the two-bedroom cottage with our two small children and it was perfect for us. The decor is far from chic - think garage-sale finds - but the house was immaculately clean and the beds were comfortable. We really appreciated the large living room, long dining room table (we entertained friends every night) and the bright kitchen. We liked the location too - walking distance to the beach, Beacon Hill Park, and downtown Victoria.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed here for two nights in August. The hotel lobby has lots of character, the room very simple but clean. (as well as tilted, the bathroom floor had a slope to it :) ) Beautiful neighbourhood, when I walked out of the hotel, a horse drawn buggy was going past! Easy walking to all the main sights of Victoria. I would definitely stay here again.
Note: there is no elevator so you do have to manage to get your bags up the stairs on your own!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

A very traditional style hotel which could do with some updating. Small room but we didn't pay much for it so not disappointed. A couple of blocks from the waterfront. Colonial feel to the city. Ther restaurant downstairs from the hotel is good value and the food - especially breakfast - was fine. Good service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights on a deal through Hotel.com, and while it wasn't a bad experience, I'd have to seriously consider whether or not to stay there again in the future.
Pros: The hotel is in a good location. It's in easy walking distance of the inner harbor, plus the hotel is located in a quiet neighborhood that I was able to walk in at night with no major concerns. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel on the ground floor had good food, plus I got a discount pass as a hotel guest. There was a free computer with internet access in the lobby for guest use.
Cons: There are a lot of stairs. Between climbing to the lobby, then to the 2nd floor and my room, I got a good workout. I ended up leaving my large bag in the car trunk and pulling stuff out of it as needed. The good news is that the hotel is in a quiet neighborhood, because you need to keep the windows open to cool off the room. No AC, just a portable fan. The room is quite small, and 2 people would have trouble manouvering in there. They were also out of bath soap.
Bottom line: A 4 story building with people carrying luggage needs an elevator. I can get aerobic workouts at home. If they want me back, the hotel should work the 20th century into the facility while keeping the old time charm.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
'the world
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Close to the harbor and many central Victoria attractions, this old Victoria standard provided all of the necessities for a short visit. Beds were comfortable and bathroom facilities were adequate. The old hotel is noisy, creaky, quaint and not equipped for those who have trouble with stairs. The friendly and competent staff personalized our visit with tidbits on local sites. The on-site restaurant and bar both provided good solutions for meals not eaten elsewhere. Having made reservations in advance in conjunction with the Victoria Clipper boat, prices were reasonable. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Reserve well in advance. Rooms on the front are noisy, but charming. No elevator on site, so choos...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

Apparently Carr died here, in a suite where the ladies room in the restaurant now stands. At least that's what a lady at the airport told me.

Long in the tooth and a bit pricey for what it is (like most places in Victoria, in all fairness), it was still a good stay. My first night was in a small economy room, tiny and clean, shower stall only in bathroom, no tub. There are no screens in the windows of Victoria (at least not at this hotel) and there was an inexplicable desk on the roof right outside my window. Bit perplexing. A loud fan from the kitchen on the same roof ensured that I woke up before 7am, which I actually appreciated. The next night they were out of the cheaper rooms and I ended up forking out nearly $150 for a suite in a house next door. Room enough for a couple there to spread out and stay for awhile, huge kitchen and good bathroom. Private deck, dated TV/furniture, nice garden, bedroom window opens onto parking lot which got loud. Pros and cons abound but had a good nights sleep. The on site restaurant is good and the adjacent bar is excellent, hilarious staff. Front desk check in/out was friendly, wifi was quite weak. The lobby and general decor have a quaint, cute, historic vibe that I don't think they're about to update any time soon. Unless they update the wifi or have a sale, I'll likely stay somewhere else next time I'm in Victoria.

Room Tip: Call ahead, get one not facing inward to the roof and not backing on to the parking lot. Third floor...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 2 nights. I had read reviews and knew the rating of the hotel and it met my expectations. Nice concierge, but the hotel is so dated and old that I would definitely not stay here again. We got a great deal price-wise, which is why we stayed here, but looking back I do wish we had paid a little more for a nicer hotel. However, it is a great location, beautiful street, nice people working there. There is a pub and restaurant downstairs. We only dined once, for brunch here, not very good at all. But again, I think we got what we paid for, and so I wasn't disappointed, because I wasn't expecting much.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the mainfloor, because there is no elevator!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to James Bay Inn Hotel, Suites & Cottage? Share your experiences!