“Romantic stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gatsby Mansion

Save Saved
You added Gatsby Mansion to your Saves list
Gatsby Mansion
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   309 Belleville St, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 1X2, Canada (James Bay)   |
Ranked #47 of 110 Victoria B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Romantic stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My partner and I stayed in a room at the Gatsby Mansion last September. The room was really cosy with rich rosewood antique furniture and sumptuous bedlinens. It was a small room, but elegantly appointed. The bathroom was small, but it had character. We ate at the restaurant downstairs that night. Expensive (white linen tablecloths) but the food was very good and the service top-rate. This hotel oozes with history and character. It's also very conveniently placed downtown within walking distance of all the attractions. I have fond memories of my stay here, and would enjoy coming back.

Room Tip: Ask the desk clerk for a room upgrade.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for having been our guest during your last trip to Victoria.
In behalf of all our employees, thank you for your wonderful review, we do appreciate your feedback very much.
We are looking forward to welcome you again in the hopefully near future.

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Victoria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My wife and I's 15th anniversary was coming up.
So I Planed and reserved everything at least month ahead of time.
I booked the Romance package and upgraded to the best room in the place, The #5 Fitzgerald.
So everything was reserved, paid for, and good to go.
Until the day we show up...
Apparently our room had been "double booked"?
First off I'd like to know how it is my phone won't let me "double book" an appointment.
Yet a major hotel's computer allows them to slot two people into the same room?
Seems more likely that they had the chance to rent the room out at a higher rate then what I was paying (I booked a package and therefore got a discount) so they figured since I had prepaid for dinner, a room, and breakfast. there was a good chance I'd suck it up and take a different room.
Of course being my anniversary they were right, as I didn't have much choice unless I was going to tell my wife. "sorry hunny I'm canceling are anniversary".

For the "Inconvenience" they took $50 off the bill, and put us in the Secondary "Fitzgerald" room.
If check on there web sight you can see that the two are not even comparable, So I'm not sure why the rank them the same.

We are locales and used to go for dinner and afternoon tea at the restaurant here.
But this was so infuriating and unprofessional I cant see myself ever giving them my business again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us and more importantly, thank you for your comments and your feedback.
In behalf of all our employees I do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered on this very special occasion.
I can and would like to offer an explanation and a solution acceptable to you if you would please contact my office.
Apple Valley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were totally unprepared and delighted with "stepping back in time" in our stay at the Gatsby Mansion Inn. We were upgraded to the "Fitzgerald" room with a sweeping view of Victoria Harbour and downtown Victoria across the way. The furnishings were all early 1900's with the welcome addition of a flat screen TV and a modern bath/shower. The dining area was beautifully appointed with period pieces and staffed by a wonderful, conversational server, whose name I unfortunately forgot, but who was well-versed on wines and wineries in the area. My apologies for forgetting her name. The food was impeccably served and delicious. "High Tea' was equally relaxing and half the price of High Tea at the Empress across the harbour. We hated to leave, and will definitely be back for another "turn of the century" visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second or third floor with a harbour view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for having stayed with us and for taking the time to post your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of all our employees, thank you for your positive feedback and we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you again in the hopefully near future.
Red Deer, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Gatsby the end of September 2012, having booked well in advance we recieved a discounted rate for the "Carroway Room" - had we not received the discount we would have requested a different room. The picture they advertise as the Carroway Room is definitely NOT what we stayed in, having read the reviews we know this is a catagory of rooms, but as I said the picture they advertise on their website is not what you get.
The room was clean with beautiful furniture, but the bathroom needed serious updating - cracked floor tiles, mildew in the shower & the window has probably not been cleaned for a very long time.
Location could not be beat - walking distance to almost everything.
We would consider staying at this establishment again, but would NOT pay the price they ask...seriously look for a deal before booking here, if not make sure you get what they advertise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your comments, we do appreciate and value your feedback.
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and do consider returning.
In behalf of all our employees, thank you for having been our guest and we are looking forward to your return.
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I never even saw the inside of the Gatsby Mansion.
This place was a huge disappointment. The online photos for the Gatsby Mansion are beautiful. When we arrived we were placed in a room at the Huntingdon Hotel on the back of the property which is nothing but a plain motel room. The bed was not a king size bed but actually two regular (short) twin beds pushed together with a sheet over them. The ceiling in the room was bubbled and peeling, the kitchenette looked like something out of the '60's, the furniture was old and worn with no cushioning left. I would never have booked with Gatsby Mansion if I had know I would be placed in a room like this. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: There a plenty of good places in Victoria. I would avoid this one.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest
We appreciate your feedback, thank you for posting your comments.
Our apologies that we obviously have not been able to meet your expectations. Our staff is doing their best to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. If however you are not happy with the room we assigned you or with any other service we provide, don't hesitate to let us.
We would have liked to hear from you while you were still staying with us and we would have had a chance to perhaps assign you a different room.
The Huntindon Hotel and the Gatsby Mansion are under new ownership and renovation plans are being prepared for the off season.
we would like to welcome you back next year for a new experience.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

I don't disagree with the other writers but keep an open mind. This is an old hotel/inn. We stayed on the top floor of the Gatsby Mansion, in the turret room (#10) We had a large room with private bath and an excellent view of the harbor, the busy street and the Empress from our panoramic windows. Yes some were painted shut. The carpet needs to be replaced ( it's past the 'clean it one more time' stage). The 4 poster bed was comfortable but squeaky. The location, quaintness, and friendly staff over-road the outdated and worn features. We have stayed in some very nice places in our travels. This was not the Empress but for a fraction of the price and an included breakfast, it was enjoyable. It is definitely not a B&B. checking in requires a hike to the hotel entrance and breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant across the patio but that was OK because we weren't looking for a B&B on this trip.
With a carpet and furniture update plus a little more details about what to expect, this place can be a somewhere to return. Unfortunately for the Gatsby there is a great deal of competition on the Harbor so they need to get busy with updates quickly. The staff was delightful. Dinner in the Gatsby Mansion was delicious.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

While the Gatsby Mansion advertises itself as a B&B, it is actually two Victorian buildings (the Mansion and the Judges House managed from a third, the Huntingdon Motel, that sits between them on the same lot. Supposedly each room is named after a character in The Great Gatsby, and we booked "The Baker Room." The room we received at check in was entirely different than the photo and advertisement. The paint was peeling in places, the carpet was dirty, and there was no four poster bed as described in the ad and room photo. I checked the hotel website to ensure I had not made a mistake, and "The Baker Room" was still listed as available for the nights that we booked it. When I inquired with the manager, he explained that "Baker" is a category they use to describe a number of rooms, and therefore, the rooms are not necessarily as shown. The Baker photo in their ad was not even taken in the Gatsby Mansion, it was from a different room in another building. The manager appeared embarrassed and they switched us into the Baker room shown on the website. It was still run down, but at least it was the room we booked. The service was no more impressive than the rooms as there was no luggage assistance and housekeeping during our stay. I agree with the previous reviewer, this hotel offers a good location and nothing more. Caveat emptor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of all our employees, I am disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay and it seems we have not been able to meet your expectations.
Our staff is doing their best to ensure all our guests and their individual requests are looked after.
This is sometimes and particularly in Heritage buildings not that easy, as it is correct with most of the rooms, as individual as they are, being categorized under one type.
I can assure you we are taking your concerns and comments very serious and will review them carefully. This to hopefully ensure similar experiences can be avoided.
Bernd Bohl

Been to Gatsby Mansion? Share your experiences!