“Charging commercial rates for pleasure vehicles! Theft!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BC Ferries

BC Ferries
1321 Blanshard Street | (Main offices), Victoria, British Columbia V8W 0B7, Canada
888-223-3779
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 57 attractions in Victoria
Type: Ferries/ Boats
Activities: Whale watching, Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: These ferries are a great way to see the islands of British Columbia.
3 attraction reviews
“Charging commercial rates for pleasure vehicles! Theft!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

July 27/2013 at Swartz Bay, my truck and trailer is over height and 49 feet long, the truck and trailer is for recreation, and a sign on the truck side glass says "not for hire". The lady in toll booth wants to see the regi for the truck, which shows the truck GVW is 7500 KGs. The truck was empty, the regi shows pleasure only, and she says that I have to pay the commercial rate! $325.00. On the return trip at Tswassen, the lady at toll booth says clearly you are driving recreation vehicle and charges me $255.00. This is clearly a cash grab! Water transportation is not affected by weight, it is affected by space! It is so strange that my truck and trailer occupy the same space as someone being an under height with a travel trailer, and paying much less! And still half empty sailings! Go figure!

Visited July 2013
BCFCustomerCare, Customer Care Representative at BC Ferries, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your vehicle.

A Commercial vehicle is any vehicle with a registered Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) over 5,500 kg or 12,100 lbs.

If the GVW of the truck is over 5,500kg, this truck would pay commercial rates whether it was pulling a trailer, or not. All commercial vehicles (which are vehicles with a GVW of 5,500kg or more) pay commercial rates. The vehicle designation does not reflect the contents of the vehicle. (ie: carrying commercial goods, or personal belongings, it is defined by the GVW only.

RV’s and camper trailers have certain exceptions to the commercial rate. As your circumstances sound rather unusual, we would love the opportunity to speak with you as your vehicle and trailer specifications are somewhat unclear.

Our Customer Care Department may be contacted at customercare@bcferries.com for follow up regarding your charges.

I hope this has provided you with some clarification.

Megan – Customer Care

• Korean first
12 attraction reviews
“Maybe I'm jaded”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I don't think of BC ferries as a tourist attraction at all! It's a way to get from place A to B .but to try to look at it from the point of view of a visitor it is spectacular scenery. Winding your way through islands on your way to Saltspring or Vancouver is truly a coastal experience. One time in active pass, they announced a whale sighting and everyone ran over to that side of the ship!

Visited June 2013
BCFCustomerCare, Customer Care Representative at BC Ferries, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response regarding our service.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback as we rely on customer comments to improve our future services. I’m very glad to hear that you were able to see whales during one of your sailings; we are very fortunate to live in such a wild life rich coastal environment.

We look forward to having you aboard again soon!

3 attraction reviews
“Scenic route”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

BC Ferries has a fleet of pretty nice boats. The mainland (Tswassen) to either of Victoria (Swartz Bay) or Nanaimo are the nicest. While on board I recommend the buffet. A little more expensive than the cafeteria but its nice, quiet and food is really good. Not all sailings or boats have it however. The views are nice and spring or fall might even see whales.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding our services. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the Pacific Buffet. I find the buffet is a perfect way to enjoy a meal and take in the beautiful passing-by scenery.

We look forward to welcoming you on board again soon!

Central Valley, California
13 attraction reviews
“They cut reservations off before 30 minute time line”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We knew we'd be pushing it to get our rental car near the airport in Vancouver and make the 12:50 ferry for Nanaimo but made a reservation ($15 extra). Of course we hit traffic and so on but arrived prior to the 30 minute cut off with a few minutes to spare. When I showed the reservation, I was told they were not letting any more reservations on board and to get in line for the next ferry.
We sat in line for over two and a half hours to catch the next ferry and forfeited our reservation fee.
The WiFi is poor but to be expected. Window views are great. I enjoyed the ferry more when I didn't have to drive and deal with taking a car over to the island.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for writing a review on our service, it sounds like you may have missed our 30 minute cut-off time for redeeming reservations.

I definitely understand how frustrating it can be to miss your reservation. It is extremely important to have this cut-off time as it allows the ship enough time to complete its “Shore Closing Procedures” which are mandated by Transport Canada before each sailing. Safety procedures and processing of passengers is our number one priority. In order for us to safely sail we need a minimum amount of time to perform the clearance procedures. This includes but is not limited to departure checks on the vessel, stopping of traffic, rising of the ramps and conveyance of accurate passenger counts. For these reasons, it is in the best interests of all our customers and employees that these procedures are strictly enforced.

The 30 minute cut-off time is based on our terminal clocks which are synchronized with the US Naval Observatory in Colorado, and is the standard West Coast reference for time signals.

I hope this has provided some clarification for you.

Megan – Customer Care
Niagara Falls, Canada
41 attraction reviews
“An efficient way to travel in a province full of Islands”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I actually took the ferry four times this past trip; twice on the Vancouver to Victoria (Swartz Bay) route and twice on the Horseshoe Bay to Langdale route. Both routes are very scenic and you can go on the upper decks for great 360 outdoor viewing. I walked on the Horseshoe Bay ferry and I was amazed with how easy boarding and leaving the ferry was. I used the Pacific Coach link for the Victoria route and I found it to be an efficient way to travel from the Vancouver Airport to downtown Victoria because your the first one on the ferry and the first one off (vehicle loading and unloading was also fast). The White Spot restaurants that they have onboard are amazing and they have great little gift shop. However, I found the Wifi a little slow. It is a great way to travel.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our service. It is very nice to hear that you have been left with such a positive impression as a frequent traveler.

We are certain lucky to live along such a beautiful coast here in British Columbia. Thank you for your comment regarding the ease of walk-on and off the vessel; we aim for easy and accessible loading procedures for both vehicle and foot passengers! I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the White Spot dining options available on board. Thank you again for providing your comments as we use them to improve our future services.