“warning.. do not stay here!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Island Travel Inn

You added Island Travel Inn to your Saves list
Island Travel Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1850 Douglas Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8T 4K6, Canada (Formerly Traveller's Inn Downtown) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #58 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
“warning.. do not stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in May for a friends birthday and will never make the mistake of staying here again. When we first arrived it was dirty, did not have towels or any soap in the bathroom, and the furniture was falling apart. We barely were in our hotel at all and when we left my visa got charged a $150 fine for damage that we did not do and the hotel never even called me to let me know that my visa would be charged or ask us about the damage. I have now called the hotel and tried to get a hold of the manager three times and have left my number as he is not there. This was in May and he has still not got back to me. This hotel is a scam and not worth the price. There are much better options of the price such as the Strathcona hotel or Paul's Motor Inn.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Worst hotel we have ever stayed in, and we travel as a family a lot and are not picky by any means. Our room had ants everywhere....not just a couple...I mean tons of them! Crawling on the dirty bedspreads, on the furnishings, on the walls. The carpets were absolutely filthy and we decided to keep our shoes on. Toilet did not flush properly, sink was clogged, bathtub was grungy and had hair in it. Asked to speak to the manager, we were told no...then told he wasn't there. We left our phone number for the manager to give us a call, he never called. Why didnt we leave immediately?? We had been driving for 10 hours with small children, didnt know our way around victoria, and we had a late checkin. An absolute nightmare!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Having stayed for a night at a couple of the other Travellers Inn hotels in Victoria, we tried this one on the Victoria Day weekend for Saturday night. Booked a 2 king room, and when we arrived we opened the door to one king (for the four of us). After some time, they were able to find another room which the clerk said would be next door, but was down the hall, so we split up our family to accommodate the stay. The pictures SEEMED to show nice duvet/sheet-style bedding, but both rooms had grungy comforters; rooms were foul smelling too. Pulled up the bottom sheet to find what looked like dehydrated tiny bugs or mouse droppings along the edge of one of the bed mattresses. The other mattress had no such bits, but ddin't even have a mattress pad or protector. One room had a non-working TV (which the clerk said they'd bring up a remote and fix it, but never did) and had some outlet plug or piece of hardware laying on the bathroom counter, the other bathroom tub had a huge rust patch on it so we showered in flip flops. Just not going to let this happen again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Trevor P, Manager at Island Travel Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
I am really sorry about the mix up on the long weekend with the rooms. I have had a talk with my desk agents about this and to make sure they have the room types right prior to check in

Again sorry for the mishap and we would love to earn your business again please email me direct at gmislandtravel@gmail.com if you are coming back to town
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had a rather short visit at this hotel, as we checked in a little after 1 am on our holidays, over spring break. Our son crawled into bed after a long day of traveliing and we were so lookin forward to a hot shower and comfie bed to sleep in...when he felt something and we pulled back the covers and to discover what looked like mouse droppings all over his bed and so we went to investigate the other bed to find that same thing...so needles to say my husband went down to front desk to inform the desk clerk of our findings only to discover that they knew of the problem and had opened the third floor that week due to the curling tournament in town...so needles to say we asked for our money back and left at 2 am to find a new hotel...which we did find and finally got a hot shower and comfie bed to sleep in...just not at this hotel...we went back the next day to speak to a manager, only to be told that the deposit and money was given back to us, and asked for a compansation due to the very muchly unconvience we went thur, adn they said no we gave you back your money and deposit..we are still trying to get back our deposit a week later...so not cool:( and we won't stay there again

Room Tip: don't get one on third floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Trevor P, Manager at Island Travel Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Hi Thank you for your review. As you know all large cities have Mice problems we have dealt with this issue in a very fast manner and have not had any further issues. If you would like to contact me direct at gmislandtravel@gmail.com and I can send you a direct email

Thanks Trevor
Courtenay, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I booked this hotel for a group of us going to a conference. It was certainly not the cheapest, but to the most expensive one either. We settled in okay, and were going to get some ice, when we saw mold on the lid of the ice bucket. They switched it out pretty quickly, which was good. The beds while not fabulous were a bed to sleep in. The room was FREEZING! We figured we could live with it for 1 night, no big deal. In the morning the 1st of us. Got up to have their shower, that would have been great if it actually worked. The piece you pull up to start the shower head came right out in their hand. I went to the lobby and when I explained to them the shower didn't work they went to go give us another room to shower in, the first room they went to give me hand people sleeping in it. They then gave us another room at the end of the hall. We all had to trek down to the other room to shower and come back again. When we went to check out I asked to have a discount for the HUGE inconvenience, where he said no. When I asked for a managers card to contact them after our conference was over, he refused to give me one. It took 15 minutes asking before he would give me even a name. I will never ever stay in this hotel again, ever.

Room Tip: Do not pick any room here you will be disappointed.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Trevor P, Manager at Island Travel Inn, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thanks for taking your time to put a review. I did call you last week after emailing you and left a message. Please do call me back at the hotel and we would like to offer you the free night stay to show you how your stay should have been. Thank you Trevor 250-590-6307
Brisbane Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Two grey nomads from Australia with a hire car doing the big west coast roadie. Great for a Victoria stop. Inbound from Vancouver and outbound to Seattle.
Good honest accommodation. All the main sights within walking distance. No hassles with the car.
Loved the city and the island.

Room Tip: Its a motel !!!! And as such it doesn't disappoint one bit.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here a week when I was working in Victoria. Great location close to everything, and had free parking too. The room was fine - clean and nice. Only complaint is that the wifi was rubbish and didn't really work unless you took your laptop down to the lobby. Not a big deal if you are here on a visit but kind of annoying being here in business. I enjoyed my stay here though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Trevor P, General Manager at Island Travel Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. I have shaw cable our internet provider here today as I read this and have asked them to look into the issue and put a new line to each floor so we dont have that issue in the future and I hope to see you again. Please email us direct at info@islandtravelinn.com or myself at gmislandtravel@gmail.com and we would be happy to help you with your reservation needs

Been to Island Travel Inn? Share your experiences!