“Excellent stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Laurel Point

You added Inn at Laurel Point to your Saves list
Inn at Laurel Point
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   680 Montreal Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 1Z8, Canada   |
Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Excellent stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Great suite in the Erickson wing. Wonderful view of the hotel's Japanese Garden complete with waterfall, and the outer harbour. Attentive staff who called our room on arrival to check that we had everything we needed. Very comfortable King size bed. Huge bathroom with all amenities. A+ breakfast in the restaurant! We will be returning!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Managing Director at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this review, September 22, 2014
Dear Diane M,
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so happy that we were able to meet youe expecations!
See you again one day!

~Judy~

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Bremerton, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We booked the Inn at Laurel Point based on the reviews found here and chose to stay there as the place we usually stay was unavailable the time. The view from the balcony/lanai was gorgeous and if it was not for this view we would have left the hotel immediately! We did not stay at the Erickson Wing, we stayed at the Laurel Wing. NOTE to anyone using Priceline--this hotel puts Priceline customers in the Laurel Wing only and if you want to stay in the Erickson Wing you must pay an additional charge. Since it was a quick one-night stay, we didn't venture over to check out the Erickson Wing but the room at Laurel Wing left a lot to be desired!

The room was clean, the carpet was nice, the view from the tiny balcony/lanai was gorgeous although we smelled the plane fuel every time a plane took off from the water. What surprised me most was the hotel's lack of care for this room. The "leather" chair was peeling leather off of it, all the wood furniture had water ring marks, burn marks, the finish was peeling off and damage on all of these wooden surfaces. This is an easy fix but it was left to just go bad. My husband and I joked that the furniture looked like something someone bought at a garage sale with the intention of refinishing it but the Inn chose not to.

The comforter was so lumpy--there aren't any stitch lines across the comforter to hold the batting in place so once it is washed the batting separates then melts a little in the dryer and forms the clumping--this is also any easy fix and would certainly make a big difference in the room appearance and customer satisfaction!

The bathroom is very small with a chipped counter top and dirty or badly stained grout lines in the shower. There is no handheld shower head, which I always prefer, and no fan to vent the shower steam. There was an adequate amount of towels and the Aveda bath products was a nice touch.

We also learned that the Internet is only accessible in the lounge unless you wish to pay an additional fee to use it in your room. Parking is also an additional fee but the hotel was very gracious in letting us leave our car there until after checkout so we could walk about the City without incurring additional parking expenses elsewhere.

We were there on a very hot day and did not realize when we left the room to go sightseeing that we should have turned on the fan and closed the curtains because when we got back the room felt like an oven! We turned the fan on full blast which was nothing so we had to open the sliding glass door at the balcony to get any kind of relief! My husband was then "eaten" by the bugs that ventured in through the opened sliding glass door!

There were 2 different lengths of curtains at the sliding glass door--one shorter to accommodate the heating/cooling unit, and the other long enough to cover the rest of the sliding glass door; because of the size difference the blackout curtains didn't work well and in the morning the sunshine came blasting into the room not allowing us to sleep any longer.

Although the staff was very nice and treated us with respect, there seemed to be an utter lack of customer service and caring that the customers were happy. It was a BIG birthday for me which we were there to celebrate and my husband sent an email to the Inn at Laurel Point asking if they did anything special for people celebrating birthdays. They wrote back that they did do special things for people celebrating birthdays OR he could select additional "special things" from a list they provided him for additional charges. (That seems to be the theme in this hotel!) We opted not to have anything additional to what they "normally do" for their customers as my husband had planned a lot of nice surprises for me. However, when we checked in absolutely nothing was done and when we checked out the woman at the counter asked if we had a nice stay so I mentioned that nothing was done for my birthday and all she said was "oh" and then "have a nice day". That was a missed opportunity for good customer service!

All in all, the room wasn't bad but for a 4.5 star hotel I expected better than what we got. Out of curiosity, my husband and I visited some of the other 4 to 4.5 star hotels we found on Priceline that we didn't select for this visit and were surprised to see much nicer rooms although not all of them had the outstanding view that the Inn at Laurel Point had.

It's sad to say, but I'm glad we had this experience so we now know where NOT to stay the next time we are in Victoria.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, I would highly recommend checking it out first and/or booking a room in...
Green Features: They have signs in the bedroom and bathrooms that request you re-use the towels and try to be environmentally friendly, which is nice.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Managing Director at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Dear Kaww0502,
I am terribly sorry that we did not meet your expectations regarding your recent stay with us. You seemed disappointed on so many levels that I feel compelled to reply to some of the more prevalent issues that you cited.
In general, I would always recommend to our guests that, when in doubt, it is always more preferable to book directly with the hotel itself. Our experienced reservations team have intimate knowledge of our property and can offer you all of the details about a room that big operators such as Priceline may not know or even be aware of and our pricing structure gives the consumer a lot of latitude to make decisions about what is important to them and their personal needs. For some guests a view is the most important thing, for others – they could not care less. Some guests want super luxury and are willing to pay premium rates no matter the price, for others- budget is their main concern and they are willing to take a room that had a restricted view and less luxurious amenities in order to save money. We, at this hotel, can offer you all of the above; we have entry level rooms in our Laurel Wing as well as super fantastic view rooms on the higher floors. Our other wing is the beautifully appointed Erickson Wing where balconies are bigger, the rooms are superbly appointed, the opulent marble bathrooms are divine and the views are to die for. Are there price differences in all of these rooms-of course! The room rates fluctuate according to what each room can offer – that is just the formula that every hotel uses - the higher the floor, the better the view, the higher the price (similar in fact to the real estate business). The penthouse will be infinitely more expensive than a ground floor view restricted (trees and flowering bushes inhibit a clear view of the harbour) room on the standard wing side of our hotel.
In general, guests who book through 3rd party operators such as Priceline are looking for great deals and are disappointed that they did not get their dream room. Priceline is quite clear in their representation of the room and at the end of the day, there should be no surprises.
What I can assure you of is that our housekeeping standards and our first class hospitality are the same throughout our hotel. We have a reputation for offering superbly clean and comfortable accommodations and we have a wonderfully warm and welcoming team of hospitality professionals ready to make your stay a memorable one – and yes, we even have a special complimentary birthday dessert for our guests celebrating special birthdays – BIG or small. We even have a convenient menu of “special items” such as champagne and flowers etc. that can be purchased and delivered to your room for the special person in your life.
So, in closing, I hope that this clarifies the hotel reservations process in hope that you will consider calling us directly the next time you want a special room for a special occasion.

Most sincerely,

Cwmbran, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

The best hotel of nine that we stayed in during our visit to Canada. Very friendly and helpful staff, especially at the front desk. Like having your own personal tour advisers. Great rooms, nicely decorated, well fitted. Great location, overlooking the harbour with a short walk into the town. Loved Victoria and wished we could have stayed for longer.

Dear AlanM827,

I was delighted to read that we made the top of your list for your "summer of 2014" travels.
I hope you carry fond memories of both our beautiful city and our beautiful hotel.

All the best for a wonderful fall season!

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

We gave this Inn a second look, and I must say, it was a most pleasant surprise. Staying in the Erickson wing (recommended) we had a wonderful room with a wonderful view, supported by an outstanding staff. The restaurant, as always, was terrific, for both breakfast and dinner. In short, we will return.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you Tony Tonto (love the handle) for the brief yet succinct review! Love it!

See you again!

vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

My friend stayed in the less expensive room which is average.
I stayed in the expensive wing and ended up paying 246 dollars
a night. This is more than I have ever spent in my life for a hotel room. It had a nice view granted.
I originally booked a room for 174 and then a friend was supposed to meet me so I changed my reservation to a twin
queen bed. They booked me in the deluxe wing and the new
room fee was 246. Fine I thought that will be split two ways between my friend and I.
My friend cancelled so I phoned hotel and said sorry but
I want to change to a one bed room.
So ended up with a deluxe which I did not need.
Yes I could have been clearer but so could they have been clearer.
My original reservation was not for a 246 dollar room but for
174 so when I needed twin beds how did it get jumped to
a deluxe in first place?
They must have 174 dollar room with twin beds!
At any rate I am unhappy and I will not be returning.
The deluxe room is a very nice room I just didn't need it or
the expensive price tag.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Bernibee1946,
I am terribly sorry for the confusion regarding the rates, without knowing the exact details of your assigned room (s) I am going to say that the twin bed scenario was not available in the $174 price range and so you were offered a 2 bed scenario in one of our upgraded Erickson Wing suites. Room rates in Victoria are quite competitive during the peak summer months as I am sure you can appreciate but I assure you, we are neither the most expensive nor the least expensive.What we can all agree on however is that we are one of the most coveted hotels in the downtown waterfront area and well worth the price.
I hope this explains a little and I do hope you will return...we have some awesome off season rates that I am sure you would enjoy!! Automn is a stunning time of the year in Victoria!!

All the best,

Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

outstanding, above and beyond expectations from booking to checkout. all of our needs were met, which was especially important considering that i was travelling with my infant. will definitely be back, and highly recommend!

Room Tip: erickson wing was stunning!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Mangaging Director at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Deat kumquaticus [great handle by the way]
Thank you for the aweome posting. Traveling with an infant is not easy so I especially am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations on all levels.
I do hope you have an opportunity to return again one day!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Great hotel for a weekend getaway. Our room had a nice view of the water with a lanai to sit outside and enjoy the water by day and city lights at night. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room has modern amenities and was very clean. The hotel is just a 5 minute walk from the Victoria Clipper landing and 10 minute walk to downtown.

Room Tip: The Studio suites on the East side have a nice view of the water and nighttime lights
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Managing Director at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear PaulFromBellevue

Thank you for your great review. Isn't the Clipper trip the best? A beautiful scenic 2.5 hour boat ride up the sound and voila, you are in downtown Victoria and about 300 steps from the entrance to our hotel - what could be more perfect for a weekend getaway.
So glad you enjoyed your weekend.
Keep an eye out for some of our special "off season " rates and do come up again!

Thanks again neighbour!

~Judy~

Been to Inn at Laurel Point? Share your experiences!