“A Taste for Japanese Design and Culture-Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Laurel Point

Save Saved
You added Inn at Laurel Point to your Saves list
Inn at Laurel Point
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   680 Montreal Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 1Z8, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save 10%
Ranked #10 of 57 hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“A Taste for Japanese Design and Culture-Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Through a friendly and professional agent-working directly from the hotel, I booked a room with the Inn at Laurel Point for a four day stay in Victoria; after three days I extended it for two days more. It was so lovely. My fiance and I enjoyed a six day affair with the city of Victoria and the Inn.
The environment and atmosphere that the Inn and its people provided surpassed our expectations by-way-of the lovely touch of Japanese design and decor throughout the structure and beyond. The room was spacious and naturally lit. The bed and linens were comfortable. It had plenty of closet and drawer space-I could have moved in permanently. The bathroom had plenty of space also; double sinks, a separate shower, large jet bathtub, quality towels and comfortable bathrobes. The Japanese garden with its trees, statues and water features is delightful. With the sliding doors open, the sound of the water flowing from the cascading rocks into a pond provided a rejuvenating and tranquil feeling. Walking on the paths of the garden with beautiful Japanese Maple trees and other variety of plants and trees I couldn't name is very nice.
Every morning I woke up early (too early for my future husband's liking,) to put on a robe and walked down to the walk path to sit on a bench with a cup of coffee from the "Live-Inn Room." As I passed the beautiful banquet facility with it's walls of glass from ceiling to floor, and a beautiful view of the patio, I was greeted by staff working, as well as, the professional and friendly people at the front desk. My fiance and I watched the lone, great blue heron fish, and the geese come to drink from the fresh water spring; and to enjoy the sunrise. The sounds of the seagulls (true seagulls, not the kind in city parking lots scoping for fast-food bags), the waves of the ocean splashing against the harbour wall, and the boats were quiet. Mornings were perfect. And, so were breakfasts.
Aura restaurant is a wonderful experience. The culinary creations by Chef Ito are not to be missed. The food is very fresh, flavourful and original. The dishes offered in the menu had a fusion of Asian, Indian and Western tastes. The service friendly, prompt and professional.
After a full day of sightseeing and long walks along the harbour we were exhausted; and, when stepping through the door to find our room in immaculate condition we felt taken care of. And, for people who work hard and long days, weeks and years to walk into a room where the bed is made is simply my version of a taste of heaven.
I could go on, but then I would be writing a book. I'm not a professional writer. I just needed to tell you what my experience was like, while it is fresh in my mind. I hope you are interested in experiencing this place, because you could be missing out if you are not.

Room Tip: Every room is good at the Inn.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Boss! at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Janelie,

Your beautiful dissertation has left me speechless! If you are not a professional writer you should be.
You painted a picture that even took my breath away. You captured the essence of what we truly are - an urban oasis located in one of the most beautiful cities in North America.

Thank you.

1,053 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Austin,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I booked a Double Erickson Wing-studio room on Otel.com (all other sites, including Laurel's showed no vacancy), and was very pleased with the purchase. The room had a view of the water, so we were able to watch the sea planes take off and land. All the staff we interacted with were very helpful and pleasant. Nice modern room with generous marble bathroom and shower. The capitol building is just a short walk from the hotel, as are the downtown streets, and Black Ball ferry. NOTE: If you are going to take the ferry to Washington, reserve your spot in advance, as it gets packed and you might not be able to get aboard, needing to wait several hours until the next one.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you originalsix for your very generous review. I am so happy that you chose to stay at our hotel and discover all that we have to offer. We really do offer our guest a true urban oasis in one of North America's most beautiful cities!
Please come back and see us again.

Vejle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We spend 2 lovely days and night at this hotel central located in wunderful surroundings.
Spacious rooms, perfect service and very friendly staff. The food in their restaurant is delicious and they have a nice wineliste.
A Perfect Stay.

Room Tip: choose a terrace bedroom suite, and you will get a wunderful view over the harbour.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TheDanesVejle,
Thank you for posting your wonderful comments! I am delighted that you enjoyed our Inn and all that it has to offer.

Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Grosse Ile, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked two rooms way in advance for 2 couples; my husband and me (in our 60's) and our 30-ish son and daughter-in-law, for the weekend of Canada Day as I was sure they would fill up early.
I am so glad I chose this particular hotel. The room was very modern and appeared to have been recently re-decorated. Both rooms were very roomy with a very small balcony overlooking the harbor. We could look out on the harbor at the water taxis, the seaplanes, the walking path by the harbor, and part of Fisherman's Wharf. The room was sparkling clean and the staff was super! The bed was very comfortable and the linens were top-notch.I read another review that said the furnishings were in need of updating. I have NO idea where that person stayed, but both our rooms looked brand new and the beds were very comfortable. The decor was wonderful, and there is not one thing I would have changed about the room.
I can't stress how nice the staff is--even the cleaning ladies were friendly and it seemed real-not fake.
There is a parking garage with the hotel that is locked and very safe, but it costs $17 per day. There is a $5 a day lot across the street, but it is not locked. Victoria seems very safe, though.
The kids brought their bikes and rode them all over. Victoria is a very bikable and walkable city and they found it easy to ride about 18 miles in an afternoon. The hotel had bike racks in the locked structure-which they appreciated.
From this hotel, it is an easy walk to Parliament, the Empress Hotel, the Wharf or any of the downtown attractions. The walking path goes right past the hotel along the water side and it was pleasant to see people quietly go past with baby strollers, walking, even the elderly, all sorts of people enjoying the view.
The ferry comes right past the hotel on the harborside and if you are a very light sleeper, it might bother you. It comes in around 11pm and goes out early in the morning. The noise from it is only a factor for about 5 minutes each time. We enjoyed seeing it, and it did not bother us.
There is a coffee and a tea pot in each room,and there is a fridge in the room, too. There is NO complimentary breakfast, however, and the restaurant, Aura, at the hotel is a bit pricey.
If I were to return to Victoria, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was a partial harbor view (but it really was a good view). It has a balcony too small to s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Boss! at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Momcop,

What a great review! I cannot tell you how important our guest comments are to us. People repeatedly tell us that we have some of the friendlieset staff they have ever encountered and I must say, I agree.
I don't think you can teach a person to be friendly - it has to come from the heart. And come from the heart is does here at the hotel. We "island folk" take great pride in taking the time to be kind, be thoughtful and to be accomodating - afterall it is the business we all chose to be in.
We, as a management philosophy, do not want our staff to respond in a corporate "cookie cutter" manner and we try and empower them to be themselves and to treat our geusts in the manner in which they would like to be treated. It's pretty simple.
So thank you again for your kind words and we sure hope you return again!

Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a great time for 5 days in Victoria. The best place to watch the fireworks was our hotel. A short walk to the downtown but away from too many tourists. Lost track of time watching the harbor activities and the sea planes, landing and taking off.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east look at the "bay", while west facing rooms look at the inner harbor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hi there murph1871 from Nevada!

Well, i sure hope you enjoyed being here for our Canada Day celebrations! We have a great vantage point for the fireworks and you are right.....slightly away from the bigger crowds.

I do hope you get a chance to return again one day - especially when you are trying to escape the ehat of those Nevada summers.

Wish you a great rest of your summer!

Cheers,

Lacey, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you are going to Victoria by the Clipper, this hotel is an easy walking distance. Also accessible by foot from hotel is Fisherman's Wharf, Legislative Building, tour ticket kiosks, and restaurants. We stayed on 4th floor with gorgeous views of downtown, the water, ferry and sea plane activity, and marina life. The room was comfortable, nice indoor pool, friendly and helpful staff. We caught the evening Clipper to return to Seattle and the hotel stored our baggage after checkout so we could do some more sightseeing. Will definitely stay here again.

Hi HDevitt-Realtor,
Thank you for posting your great review. We have such a wonderful sybiotic relationship with our friends to the south of us in the state of Washington. A mere 2 hrs Clipper ride from downtown Seattle and voila....you are steps away from our hotel. No need for cars here. We are about 2 or 3 hundred steps (yes, I counted) from the Clipper terminal and a 5 minute walk will take straight to our front lobby.
Victoria is such a small little city that walking around town is such a great way of getting around. No parking worries either.

I do hope you retrun and take advantage of some of the sales that we have from time to time. There are some great deals to be had!

Thanks again!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

You can't go wrong staying here, especially if your can get the "Sunshine Room" overlooking the Harbour! Wow, awesome view of the harbour and seaplanes landing! We got the Sunshine room great big balcony, nice room, clean! Great view of Fishermans Wharf.

Room Tip: Get the Sunshine Room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks LisaA66 for putting some "sunshine" into my day!
~Judy~

Been to Inn at Laurel Point? Share your experiences!