“Harbour Towers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour Towers

Save Saved
You added Harbour Towers to your Saves list
Harbour Towers
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   345 Quebec Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 1W4, Canada   |
Ranked #24 of 57 hotels in Victoria
Houston, Texas
“Harbour Towers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Good location, easy walk to the bus station, Empress, etc. Room was a bit dated, but it had a separate bedroom, microwave and fridge and was clean. The hot tub had a very strong Chlorine odor, burned my eyes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Kay-gm, General Manager at Harbour Towers, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your review and happy to read that overall you enjoyed your stay, appreciated our location, and took advantage of the inroom amenities. Our Maintenance team does conduct all the appropriate and necessary testing of the hot tub and pool and this is the first time I've heard of an issue with chlorine in the hot tub - but I assure you that it will be followed up on.
I hope we can see you return,

618 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Yelm, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Being a former native of Victoria, I have family that I visit quite frequently in James Bay. We decided to stay here due to the proximity to our family's homes. We had high hopes for this hotel. We were greeted and offered an upgrade, for a fee of course, to a higher floor with wonderful harbour views. That pleased us upon arrival into the room. Our pleasure quickly diminished! The very outdated room was stifling due to NO A/C! The gorgeous summer sun while nice to look at was cooking our room and the antiquated ceiling fan did nothing to relieve us. The chocolate treats we bought to take home quickly melted. Along with the outdated decor, the furnishings were not sufficient. In the TV armoire there are only 3 small drawers. Not enough for two adults and a child. New TV upgrades would be a welcome addition to the rooms as well! All of the sinks and shower were slow draining so your shower quickly turned into a bath. Great prices for the breakfast buffet, but the restaurant staff both mornings were terrible. We had to find a person to bring us our bill both times, and both times had to have them fix the price as we were overcharged. On our next visit this fall, we will be searching for a new hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I'm so sorry that this stay coincided with unusually warm Victoria weather, as the ceiling fans and ability to open the balcony door usually suffice for temperature adjustment in this temperate climate. I am pleased to announce that we are expecting delivery and installation of the SilverBirch standard 42" flatscreen televisions into the bedrooms of all our suites in July. Glad to read that you did appreciate our Breakfast Buffet, and I am sorry that the Servers were perhaps overwhelmed and did not correctly differentiate between the $8 Continental Breakfast price and the Full Buffet at $13.
I really do hope you might reconsider on a return to James Bay and give the team another chance.
Ceres, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My teenage children and I arrived in Victoria on the 11:00 p.m. ferry. Luckily, our hotel was one block away from the ferry dock. The staff greeted us weary travelers with smiles and assigned us a nice, clean room. We parked our car in the secured lot under the hotel and made the easy trek up. In the morning, we went down for the breakfast buffet, which included eggs, bacon, sausages, potatoes, breads, fruits, juices, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, yogurt and hot/cold cereals. I believe there was a breakfast special on the on-line reservations. I also believe parking was $15, which sure beats the parking prices at San Francisco hotels ($55). After breakfast, the kids and I checked out and walked about Victoria and enjoyed the sites and wonderful weather. You DEFINITELY will not go wrong staying at Harbour Towers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to record the key features, advantages and benefits of staying with us here at the Harbour Towers Victoria. In particular, our Chef Dustin and his culinary team will be pleased to read how much you enjoyed the selection offered in our Breakfast Buffet.
Hopefully we'll be welcoming you and your family back,
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

July 4th – July 7th

I found this gem in the Victoria Inner Harbor area on tripadvisor.com. This hotel lived up to the reviews that I read before I booked our stay. This was our first trip back to Victoria since 1999.

The room:
We were in a suite on the ninth floor. There are two TVs, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. There is a nice computer desk to write this review with both wired and wireless internet. I chose to use the wire internet which ran fast. This hotel like many in Victoria does not have air conditioning. It was unusually hot in Victoria and with the two living room windows and bedroom sliding door open with the two ceiling fans going, it was very pleasant. The suite featured a large kitchen with a two-burner stove, dining table with chairs, sofa, two comfy chairs, coffee table and computer desk. The view from the ninth floor was amazing. We could see the entire Inner Harbor all the way around to the Empress Hotel and Parliament building which are lit up at night. See the pictures of both the room and the view.

The amenities:
This property includes a pool, sauna and hot tub. There is a fitness center with a weight room and a business center. The free wifi had a good level of performance. Vic’s steakhouse is located on site and features a buffet breakfast. The hotel has underground parking for a fee which is common in downtown Victoria.

The location:
We really liked the location located at the Inner Harbor area and just a short walk to Government street. There are many restaurants and attractions located nearby.

The staff:
As I mentioned in previous reviews, the staff can either make or break the experience. The staff here must go to some kind of hospitality university because they do whatever they can to ensure the customer is satisfied. Here are some of the outstanding people that we interacted with:
Catherine Burke - She is the desk manager and must have a PH.d in hospitality. We got to the hotel about 1:00. Our room was not ready so she took our bags and locked them up while we went out to have lunch and do some exploring. Upon our return, she put us in a beautiful harbor-view room on the ninth floor. We couldn’t have asked for a better room.
She told us that for fish and chips, we should go to Barb’s on fisherman’s wharf. The food was great and worth the recommendation.
Courtney and Tara - I forgot my camera and they were able to loan me a micro USB cable to transfer my pictures from my phone to my laptop. Their help was much appreciated.

We will be back at the Harbor Towers.

Thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
How lovely to read your review, which was so very complete, and especially more so given that you seem to contribute regularly to tripadvisor. I have taken great pleasure in sharing it with my team and in fact we have now dubbed Catharine as Dr. Burke! Tara and Courtney will be nominated for our Champions In Action recognition program thanks to you mentioning them specifically.
On behalf of my team we look forward to saying "Welcome Back to the Harbour Towers"!
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Enjoyed two nights at Harbour Towers Hotel, and the excellent weather helped. Higher rooms harbour-side provide good view. Time to check in was way too long and the key didn't work when I got to the room so asked housekeeping to let me in. My (polite) frustration showed at check-in so a manager called my room to apologize. She gave excuses why it took so long but didn't seem to appreciate the underlying problem: short staffing mean the staff need to be able to alert manager to send out more staff. Furthermore there is no concierge so check-in staff have to spend an inordinate amount of time giving directions and other distractions. The room is clean but dated decor. The shower is unpredictable: good streams of hot water punctuated by blasts of cold water. Hotel is conveniently close to major attractions except a good espresso. Room cleaning products are scented, which triggered my hay fever, so I declined cleaning during the stay. The Hotel is excellent value for the money. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Upper level harbour-side
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Kay-gm, General Manager at Harbour Towers, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thanks for the wide variety of comments, both positive and constructive. Let me respond to a few, with the desire that you will return and take advantage. Catharine Burke, our Front Office Manager, does use our occupancy forecast to schedule a Bellman to supplement the Guest Service Agents in providing "Concierge" services, but when there are not a lot of check-ins or departures our front office team really enjoys providing this information. I am sorry that your wait to check in was longer than expected. Our own Vic's restaurant does have an Espresso machine, and although our regular room cleaning products are scented, you just need to advise the front desk/housekeeping department of any allergies and the Room Attendants will use a different product supplied by Ecolab.
Please come again and take advantage of our location, the inner harbour view and of course the value.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Victoria was sold out for the Canada week, Harbour Towers was the only choice however it worked out well. Excellent buffet breakfast is good value. Rooms could need updating but staff friendliness more than makes up for it.

• Stayed July 2013
Kay-gm, General Manager at Harbour Towers, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I am very glad to read that you were able to find a room with us over the Canada Day long weekend! Great to know that you found our Breakfast Buffet to be of good value, as that is indeed how we have priced the selection of hot and cold items. My Team will also be thrilled when I share with them how you state that their friendliness impressed you.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were there in May, and the rooms are quite spacious. It is a block away from the Victoria Clipper Ferry. The view from our room was really beautiful. The room was dated and had a bit of a musty smell. We were there for a conference so the staff did everything they could to make our stay comfortable and provided us with excellent suggestions on places to eat etc. No air conditioning but we had a nice breeze from our balcony, and the ceiling fan. which we preferred anyways.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to post your review and note all the positive feedback. I do apologize for the musty smell you mention and I hope that you notified our front desk about it, because it should not have been present. It really pleases me to read another guest comment regarding the service level provided by our staff, because that is indeed how we try to rise above the others.
Hoping your business brings you back to Victoria,
Kay Koot, general manager

Been to Harbour Towers? Share your experiences!