“Not perfect but a good choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rialto

Save Saved
You added Hotel Rialto to your Saves list
Hotel Rialto
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   653 Pandora Ave, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1N8, Canada (Formerly Hotel Douglas)   |
Special Offer
Comp Cheese Plate!
Ranked #4 of 57 hotels in Victoria
Durham, North Carolina
“Not perfect but a good choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is indeed a nice little boutique-y hotel (that regrettably self-promotes itself as "Boutique Hotel") with a European feel. Nice rooms and hallways. They must save money through slightly inconvenient efficiencies (e.g., I had to ask at the front desk for an iron and ironing board; now and then I was annoyed that there seemed to be no tissue box in the room; don't expect breakfast service at 6:30). I was afraid of street noise, especially when I saw earplugs supplied beside the clock radio; there was a bit of late-night exuberance and some early morning truck noise, but not a bother for me. The Pandora/Douglas location is fine in Victoria's compact and walkable downtown.

Overall, I was pleased that TripAdvisor steered me to this attractive and interesting hotel. Not perfect but a good choice.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

658 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

A great hotel in a convenient location for a fair price (although certainly not budget pricing, but still, a good value for this kind of place). I've stayed here twice now, once in the fall, this time early summer, and have been happy both stays (both were post-renovations). My room this time was comfortable and included a small kitchenette, which I didn't make use of. This is not the place to stay if you prefer a full-service hotel (gym, pool, sprawling rooms, etc), but if you like a place that: feels hip and looks refined (but without getting in your face with it's hipness ... Doyle hotels' offering in Dupont Circle, Washington DC? I'm looking at you!); has a cool bar/restaurant; a modest continental breakfast included and served in a bright, comfortable cafe section; and is staffed by professional, friendly staff? then I cannot recommend the Rialto enough. Of this genre of hotel (the small urban boutique inn), it's among the best I've stayed at in several cities, in Canada, the US, and abroad. It's an easy walk up to the harbour, and buses elsewhere (UVic, Schwartz Bay, airport) stop right out front.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Check-in was very efficient and 2 extremely capable young men provided a pleasant welcome . The room, while not huge, was efficiently designed with the bed in a little alcove, leaving plenty of room to walk around. It was great to have a fridge and micro! Welcome voucher for a cheese tray at the Veneto tapas lounge and breakfast vouchers for the Veneto café in the lobby were a really nice touch. Throughout my stay, the same two young men at the front desk were always cheery and very helpful. Thanks, Michael and Bobby! Location is perfect. Just minutes walk to Chinatown and a mere 15 minute walk to get to all the attractions of the inner harbor. 5 minutes to shopping at the Bay Centre. I could hear the traffic outside while I was awake, but never heard a sound when I was ready for sleep. Just in case, though, they provide ear plugs in the room if you should need them. I thought that was a really nice touch. I can see why the Rialto has such a high rating on Tripadvisor and I'm happy to keep the trend going!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
College Station, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Let me just start by saying, this is my first trip to Victoria and I couldn't have picked a more central hotel. I am traveling to UVic each day for a class and the busses pick up right out front of the hotel! Also, Chinatown is a block or so away (great food!) and the harbor is about 4 blocks south. Perfect location.

I have read some of the bad reviews and I have to agree that this hotel is downtown, you take the good with the bad. Anyone that feels unsafe at this hotel should come with me to downtown Chicago, IL next time I am on business there! Besides a few potheads and beggers hanging around the downtown area, there isn't that much to be scared of...if you don't feel like contributing to beggars just say, "I don't have any change, have a great day!".

I haven't even left the hotel and felt the need to write this review, as my wife and I are enjoying our stay. The room is very spacious, TV is nice, no view but we have a quiet interior room, blackout curtains are nice, fridge/microwave are great, heated tile in the bathroom is fantastic, and the decor throughout the hotel is very warm/clean. The only drawbacks are that the bed is just a little uncomfortable but not the worst bed (very firm but nice linens) and the water pressure in the shower is horrible (completely lacking, just slowly coming out). The showerhead looks great, it just needs some more force coming out!! Also, the room smells a little like my grandmother's house but that isn't necessarily a bad thing! Oh and instead of a rooster waking you up each morning the seagulls are more than happy to serve as an alarm clock! :)

Some amazing things...The complementary cheese plate at check-in is great, the discounted/free breakfast in the restaurant is great (HUGE PORTIONS - my wife and I split breakfast!), and opt for the 'Go Green' program, you will earn a $10 credit (in the restaurant) each night you take them up on this offer.

Lastly, we miss having a pool at this hotel, our hotel in Vancouver had a pool and with my wife being preganant it would be nice to cool off at the end of each day. Also, I know the workout studio is nearby but I haven't been there yet, it would be more convenient if the workout room was in the hotel (I could use the hotel Wi-Fi to watch a show while I was on the treadmill).

Stellar hotel, for the price - I would definitely stay here again. Alex at check-in and throughout our stay has been over-the-top accomodating. He is fantastic!

Room Tip: Choose an interior room! Much quieter!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed only one night on our way up island for our 25th anniversary trip but had a wonderful experience. Everyone was so friendly and helpful-we even had a cheese platter and champagne brought to our room for our anniversary.
Everything is clean and updated and the bathroom was large with a great soaker tub!
Will stay next time we are in Victoria.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel is located in the middle of downtown Victoria and is very homey. It is within walking distance of the harbour, Chinatown, entertainment, restaurants as well as the great boutiques.

The staff are friendly, and extremely accomodating. They were willing to go the extra mile to ensure you thoroughly enjoy your stay.

Did not find the hotel to be noisy as others have indicated; you are in the heart of the city after all. Bed was very comfortable, and the room was totally renovated.

I will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Fabulous boutique hotel close to everything in Victoria…Chinatown, downtown, harbour, parliament buildings, you name it. Lots of little perks and unexpected surprises made our stay just that much better. Comfortable room, everything you need is there. Veneto's Tapas Lounge was great…good drinks and great eats (try the Roasted Lobster & Crab dip and the Ahi Tuna Poke…yummy!) Excellent and friendly staff. I will definitely stay here again. We truly "Escaped Reality"!
And enjoy an evening with Sting!

Room Tip: Escape Reality package is great value for money!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Rialto? Share your experiences!