“Two thumbs up” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rialto

You added Hotel Rialto to your Saves list
Hotel Rialto
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   653 Pandora Ave, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1N8, Canada (Formerly Hotel Douglas)   |
Offers & Announcements
Go Green and be rewarded
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Two thumbs up”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Having stayed in almost all of the higher end hotels in Victoria and Vancouver, I find myself becoming very disillusioned with the state of cleanliness in the rooms and halls. We recently stayed in one of the most expensive hotels in Van and the carpets were literally crusty! SO, it's nice to stay in a hotel that is clean!! I'm sure this is due to the fact that it only opened in June, but still......
The location is great and we had no problem finding parking. (which was free for us as we arrived on Saturday at 6pm) There is a hotel parkade a block away if street parking is not up your alley. Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were (as I said) clean, pretty plain Jane but fresh looking. No mini bar but there is a fridge. The linens are wonderful and the pillows were so good my sister and I each bought 4 before we left! ($25 each)
You get a coupon for a free cheese plate in the bar/lounge which was delicious, and the muffins at the free Continental in the morning were gigantic and home made looking! The table next to us did order a hot breakfast and have to say, it looked and smelled wonderful.
My only complaints were the TV - it was old, the sound was terrible, and the remote sensor was kind of dangling over the top of the tv, and I wish the bathroom had a bigger shower.
All in all though, for $100? Two thumbs up. I'll be staying there again next time I'm in Vic.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We recently spent a Girls Weekend in Victoria at the Hotel Rialto. It's centrally located to lots of restaurants and shopping in the downtown area. It was also directly on the BC Transit bus line that comes right from the ferry at Swartz Bay, saving us a $70+ cab ride each direction.

The hotel itself is really cute - boutique at its best. It's bright and modern, while having that elegant retro glamour as well. We really enjoyed our room - nicely appointed with a large bright warm bathroom, two comfortable beds and plenty of storage space. One item we found lacking in the room was the little binder you usually get that lists where to get ice and drinks, facts about the area and hotel, hours of operation for the lounge etc.

Our room rate included a free breakfast of coffee and a muffin/pastry. The staff were happy to pack ours up to go when we had to leave early in the morning. We also had a welcome cheese platter in the lounge. Unfortunately, we didn't get the chance to check it out but the lounge was super busy when we arrived and looked like a great place!

Although the rooms were definitely clean, we found a few items overlooked (movie ticket stub on the floor). Overall though, we got a great deal on the room through Expedia, at over half off the hotel direct price. We were extremely pleased with our stay and would not hesitate to return again!

Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I booked this hotel for December 4th. I was looking for a central location We wanted to be walking distance to the shops, restaurants and The Save On since we were in town to see a show that evening. Hotel Rialto was perfect. The price was excellent and the room superior double queen was very chic, comfortable and extremely clean. The check in was fast and the young man at the desk was courteous and friendly. (can't remember his name). My friends were really impress by the vibe and quality of this Boutique Hotel. We all agreed that we will come back and stay here again. We didn't have a chance to try the restaurant or try a cocktail at the lounge but will definitely give it a try on our next visit. Thank you for this fantastic girl's night out.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel is older but has had significant upgrades in the past couple of years. The lounge/restaurant is quite nice and lobby entrance up to date. The rooms are smaller in size (as with all hotels of the original build) but adequate for the need. I had the "Superior Junior King" which included a nice size washroom, bedroom area (no closed door to next room) and a small entrance/living area with small kitchenette. Everything was up-to-date. Any issues were resolved quickly (no ironing board and remote batteries missing were quickly delivered by front desk person). I was located on the north side of the hotel on the second floor. Both evenings I stayed (Wed/Thurs) the traffic from Douglas Street was noisy - especially BC Transit buses. I had asked for a quiet room at check-in because of previous ratings and was told this one was quiet - not. I received a welcome "cheese plate" coupon for the lounge and a coupon for each morning for a continental breakfast (muffin and coffee or juice) - nice touch.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the higher floors on the back (west) or south side of the hotel - hopefully it is...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Conway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Seems like the rooms, bar and common areas have recently been remodeled. Very modern, yet comfortable. Great and helpful staff. Price included a great cheese tray as a welcome gift and a coupon good for continental breakfast.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This Edwardian Hotel, in terms of what you get for your money, is in the same class as the Fairmont Empress. This is what a first class boutique hotel is all about & I cannot envision how the current owners could have done any more to provide their guests with a truly unique experience. Beautiful appointments & an attention to detail that would normally cost twice what you pay. I could go on however I would just be repeating myself based on what other reviewers have said.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I adore the Hotel Rialto for so many reasons: The owners commitment to resurrecting a beautiful example of Canadian heritage architecture to it's original glory with fresh new amenities is first and foremost. Secondly, the staff is so nice, the fantastic bedding - best pillows ever! had to order some for home! and best of all, my day starts with a perfect latte in Breve and ends with a perfect cocktail or glass of wine in Veneto - accompanied by friendly and super skilled servers with great music in the back ground. If I want a glass of something in my room - Vintages is there with helpful and knowledgeable staff offering a great selection of local, old world and new world beers, wines and spirits. PLUS - it's walking distance to Ulla and Brasserie - 2 of my favourite restaurants anywhere. Thus, the Hotel Rialto is my favourite place to stay in Victoria, BC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Rialto? Share your experiences!