“Good location, average accommodation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dalton Hotel & Suites

You added Dalton Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Dalton Hotel & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   759 Yates St, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1L6, Canada (Formerly Dominion Grand Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #48 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
London
“Good location, average accommodation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

On arrival, I was very warmly greeted and told it was my lucky day as I had a free upgrade! Delighted! I have to say the room was ok, nicely decorated, looking out at a brick wall with a fan from the local restaurant running all the time, but it was ok, I just dread to think what I would have got if I hadn't been upgraded.

The upside is the location, which justified the price, central and everything in easy walking distance.

The breakfast was good, having disposable plates, cups, knives, forks, and spoons was a novelty for me, as was trying to work out how to get coffee out of the machine, luckily there was another guest who explained how to do it. The waffle that I made was good, but again took some working out on how to use the waffle iron!

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

After carefully looking at many hotels online we decided on this one because it is a decent location and the pictures made it look amazing and romantic.
Upon arrival we were told the staff did something special for us for our honeymoon, nope there's nothing special about the room so not sure what that's about! Besides that the lights won't work, shower had a broken piece, bed had black dirt in it, carpets are filthy, no sort of amenities or anything in the room besides shampoo and conditioner. As we speak we are online looking for a new hotel to hopefully leave tonight as we can't sleep here. I paid less at best western and got a jacuzzi suite with chocolates and roses on my last hotel stay.
Don't waste your money here.

-disappointed newlyweds

• Stayed September 2013
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Good service, older but comfortable rooms and great free breakfast. The waffles are a great start to the day. Free internet which shouldn't be a surprise but spent almost $300 for a fancy room in Vancouver and they wanted another $17/day for internet plus $1.25 per local call. This was a good choice for us. Right smack downtown as well which makes it a little noisy but close to the action.

Victoria, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed overnight with my teenage cousin for some downtown "girl time" together. Check-in was quick and friendly, and we received a complementary upgrade from a regular 2-bed room to a suite with a king bed/pullout couch.

The suite was very nice, spacious and clean with a bedroom separated by quite heavy glass doors (great for when you are sharing with snorers, my cousin reported she didn't hear me at all!) a gas fireplace with a TV over it (please note, basic non-digital cable only, but hey who stays in the room to watch TV the whole time?) a small kitchen area with fridge, coffeemaker and sink, and the bathroom sink also shares this space. There was no microwave though it looks like there was a spot for one so perhaps that's on the owner's to-do list in the future. The bathroom itself was on the small side, but much to my cousin's amusement provided a toilet with a view across to the movie theatre on the opposite side of the street.

The king bed, I was told, was "almost too comfy"! The hide-a-bed was, as hide-a-beds tend to be, not comfy but certainly not even close to the worst I've slept on! The hotel provided ample pillows and linens which were all very clean and soft.

There is no a/c in the room but the ceiling fan was perfect for cooling, and having some windows open brought in a nice breeze. I could see how in high summer how it may get uncomfortably warm, though.

It's a heritage hotel, so yes, the hallways do smell a little musty, but for a history nut like myself that adds to the charm! The room itself had no smell at all.

Breakfast in the morning was good, a selection of fruit, bagels, bread, waffles, pastries and cereals. My only thought there is perhaps they could add some hard-cooked eggs or sliced cheese so there is some protein available. I have seen this with other hotels providing continental breakfasts and it was much appreciated.

All staff we spoke to were very friendly and greeted us with smiles. The only thing we had any issue with was the room key. They use actual old-school keys, and while again it adds to the charm of a heritage hotel, we had difficulty unlocking our door as the lock was quite stubborn. I noted that the doors were set up for key-cards so again perhaps that is something that is coming soon.

Yes, there will be noise down on the street, especially on a weekend. Young Victorians do love to raise their voices when they are wandering around in packs downtown. Harmless but annoying if you're not used to it. (We are.) Bring earplugs to avoid being woken up by "WOOO'S" at 1AM! The hotel guests were very quiet indeed, though I could see evidence of partying on Saturday AM we never heard a thing.

Overall, if I had a friend coming to town I would recommend the Dalton, we quite enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Humboldt, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Because we checked in later, we were supposed to have a basic room but got an upgrade. The outside of the hotel is less than impressive but the room we got was amazing. It was spacious and decorated nicely. But it was a room facing the street and there is a bar across the street, through the windows we could still hear the petiole outside yelling.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the street on a weekend!
Holland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Once a lovely hotel, now a bit bedraggled, but the staff was so helpful. Gave excellent recommendations for restaurants and a super afternoon tea experience!! Parking is available right next to the hotel (we did not use it as no we had no vehicle). Located on Yates just two blocks from the main thoroughfare, Government Street. Shopping available in the evening and an abundance of restaurants within easy walking distance. Breakfast was minimal, but sufficient.

Room Tip: Easy walking distance from the Victoria Clipper - even with wheeled suitcases!!!
Letterkenny, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed on 4-6 July as it was on a wedding accommodation list as well situated and good value. The room was old fashioned which I do not mind and fairly basic. Self service breakfast was adequate but no more. However for such basic dated accommodation we were charged Can$550 which is a rip off. My brother and his wife also stayed for 2 nights and it was the poorest quality and value of their 3 week Canadian trip.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. There is much nicer available.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DaltonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dalton Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment in the hotel on your two-night stay at the hotel. After checking in our guests, we always call to see if our guests are happy with their room choice and if they needed anything extra. If there were any problems at that time, we would do our best to change your room, or offer you an upgrade, depending on availability. Further, if it were mentioned at the time of the quality check call from the front desk, we could have resolved the issue immediately, with you!

We always want our guests to feel happy with their accommodation and would never take a complaint lightly! Unfortunately, we do not know which room you were in for certain as we do not have full details of your booking and do not want to assume anything incorrect.

We offer three main types of accommodation including budget minded standard rooms and newly renovated Boutiqe Rooms and Suites! Please reqeust a newly renovated Boutique Room or Suite if you do decide to return, as I believe this may be the room type you were looking for! Please see our website for virtual tours of all our rooms! Thank you!

Been to Dalton Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!