“BED BUG disaster & Rude supervisor = Worst experience ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dalton Hotel & Suites

You added Dalton Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Dalton Hotel & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   759 Yates St, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1L6, Canada (Formerly Dominion Grand Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #48 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Vancouver, Canada
“BED BUG disaster & Rude supervisor = Worst experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We arrived at the Dalton on a Sunday and the man at front desk was friendly and helpful. Gave us our keys to the room I had booked online. We decided to upgrade to a 'boutique suite' for $50 more which seemed worth it at the time.
The boutique suite compared to the regular suite is much more appealing. We liked the way it looked...

The next morning my girlfriend had a few bites on her arms. We didn't see any bed bugs after the first night so we assumed it was mosquito bites. I didn't have any visible bites on me.

After our second night instead of checking out right away we asked to extend our stay. Front desk said it was fine & booked us in for an additional night. He then called our room to say that I had to come down and pay for the extra night when I had the chance. I slept in/ had a nap & was woken up by the supervisor banging on the door.

I opened the door with my wallet in my hand and he said with his arms crossed looking very angry, "Now that's what we want to see". He was referring to my wallet & payment. That turned me off. He began to speak to me in a demeaning way as if talking to a child. I don't know if it's because I was shorter than him but he was very rude. I said I'd come down to pay. He began to accuse me of trying to screw the hotel over just because previous guests have done so in the past.

I came down to the front desk to pay and was furious about the way the supervisor was talking to me. I told him that the other man in front desk didn't specify a time that I had to pay- I was going to pay for the extra night when I headed downstairs & on my way out of the hotel. He began to say that I was on 'his time' and that b/c they didn't have a credit card it made them very nervous. I told him that I understood that but there was no need to blame & get angry. He got me very angry.

I was surprised at how confrontational the supervisor was. If anything I'd think that hotel guests should feel welcomed. He definitely seemed to have some issues and decided to take it out on us. I was so upset I wanted to leave. But we decided to put it behind us that day and just enjoy the last day that we paid for.

The next morning my girlfriend's bites got worse. When she went to the bathroom she found a bed bug on the shower curtain. I found another on the floor. We then took it to the manager (not the supervisor) and spoke with him about the bed bugs & his supervisor's rudeness towards us.

He was pretty helpful about the situation but only refunded 2 out of the 3 nights we stayed b/c he had to get the pest control to see if the bugs were originally from the hotel or if we brought it in.

If anything ...the whole hotel experience was stressful. We had to wash everything before we left for home & had to be moved into another room just to shower in before we checked out. While showering in the new room an old couple tried to get in with their keys. Apparently they were booked in that room we used for showering. They could have walked in on us changing! It just seemed like one mishap after another.

I'm still waiting on the General Manager to get back to me about the 'pest control' situation. I contacted Victoria's Health Department just to let them know about this.

My girlfriend is suffering from multiple bed bug bites on her arms & I feel bad because it's very discomforting for her. She can't sleep at night because the bites are so itchy.

Had we not stayed at this hotel she wouldn't be suffering even a week later with lack of sleep from these bites.

So...watch out if you decide to stay here. Honestly I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
DaltonHotel, General Manager at Dalton Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Dear D. R. ,

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

It is sad to say that Bed bugs have always been around. It is a known fact that these minute critters are brought in by hotel guests via their luggage. Unfortunately, when the guest in question checks – out, the critters stay behind in the guest room.

At the Dalton Hotel, having bed bugs is uncommon – two (2) incidents in the last five (5) years.

Once I have been informed of the incident, a pest control company is called in, along with their highly trained K-9 to evaluate and take care of the incident. One can see that my staff and I take this matter very serious. Prevention is the key to avoid infestation.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay further. Please contact me at JohnL@DaltonHotel.ca at your convenience.

Regards,

John Lioudakis | General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Abbotsford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stayed here with our 2 children aged 4 & 5. The room it self was cozy and farely clean. The bests were comfortable and the continental breakfast was average, a fair amount of choices and lots of seating.

We did have a strange experience though, we ended up going down a staircase and ended up in construction on the first floor. When we first entered the stairwell with kinda thought it didn't look right but there was no signs telling us not to go down it so we went. We did end up going back up the stairs to the 2nd floor and found the elevator.

We did like the feeling of the hotel, being built so long ago. They do need to update the room we stayed in though, lots of holes in the walls that had been filled and a big one on the door.

I would rate this overall as average, if the price was closer the $100 a night range I would have been for satisfied, we paid close to $150.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
DaltonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dalton Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thank you! We really appreciate your positive feedback for the Dalton Hotel and Suites!!!

The Dalton Hotel and Suites is a heritage building from the late 1800's, that has been updated, some rooms renovated and will have more renovations in certain areas again this fall which may include one or more of the stairways. Presently, we have one floor closed off, due to construction possibly this fall, but we always keeps all stairways and access to stairways open, due to strict fire procedures. We are doing renovations and upgrading in stages, and eventually all the rooms will be renovated. Please enquire about one of our Boutique rooms or suites for your possible next stay, which have been completely renovated and have all brand new furniture and furnishings!

Our summer season, July and August are our busiest months at the hotel, and is when we have the least amount of discounts. One of our standard procedures here at the hotel is that we always call our guests after they check-in to make sure they are completely satisfied with their room. If there is any problem or dissatisfaction, we would discuss options of looking at other rooms or upgrading! If this was not done, we sincerely apologize!

Thank you so much again!
Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

The one factor which pushed me to rate Dalton 'Very Good' rather than just 'Average' is their staff. The staff was extremely friendly and pleasant. They went out of their way to make sure I enjoyed my stay in Victoria. Everything from tips on what sites to see when, making change for bus fare, or just friendly chatting in the breakfast room.
The hotel is a historic hotel, which I find charming, but be prepared for what else that means. The rooms are not as sound-proofed as more modern hotels. Some of the decor has not been updated. The furniture in the rooms is pretty rickety and there was not much of a dresser to put clothes in, so if you are the type who likes to unpack into dressers, you will be out of luck. For me, all I care about is a comfy bed and pillow, which I had. This isn't really the type of hotel you would relax in during the day, it's the type you choose when you are going to be gone all day and need a comfy place to crash when you get back. I think the room could have been a little cleaner. It wasn't enough to complain about, but the bathroom floor needed to be swept more thoroughly and the sink taps looked a little grungy around their bases.
The location is excellent, we were able to walk everywhere, so we didn't need a rental car. It's not as close to the harbour as other hotels, but it is also much less expensive if you book through expedia. Weekends had a fair bit of street noise, but I suspect that is the case with all the downtown hotels. If you want to be somewhere quieter, try booking somewhere near Quebec street.
The free breakfast was pretty standard except for the make-your-own-waffles, which everyone seemed to enjoy, although I am somewhat of a waffle "connoisseur" so I don't care for waffle batter that comes in a machine. I would have liked to see some more variety in fruit and muffins. There were only apples and oranges and your choice of two different muffins. I would also like to see a different brand of tea, the one they have looks fancy, but it is poor quality.
Hopefully this review helps you make your decision. I am very observant and critical, but overall I think I would stay at the Dalton again. I think it is a great option for young travellers trying to save some money, or anyone who values great hotel staff.

Room Tip: Choose a quiet room over a street view, even the
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
DaltonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dalton Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 29, 2011

The Dalton Hotel and Suites is a heritage building from 1876, that has been updated, some rooms renovated and will have more renovations in certain areas again this fall. It is under new management and is heading towards a 4 star hotel!

We offer our guests a choice of updated standard rooms which are competitively priced and our new Boutique Rooms & Suites which have been completely renovated. All of the Boutique Suites have brand new flat screen TV's! Our Boutique Rooms and Suites also have air-conditioning, brand new heritage style furniture and are quite spacious.

Yes, our exceptional downtown location, complimentary deluxe continental breakfasts and very affordable accommodation rates do attract most of our customers! We do our best to always try to accommodate all of our guest requests whenever possible, keep up the highest standards of cleanliness in our rooms and the freshest ingredients for our breakfasts!

We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! You can also now follow us on “Twitter” too!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

What I liked about this hotel is that it is more than 100 years old. That is one of the reasons I enjoy Victoria with all their heritage building and architecture. Breakfast was okay and staff was friendly and ready to help anytime. One suggestion to management is that they should fix pipes installed for watering window planters. Will stay at Dalton again.
Drago from Vancouver

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for the wonderful comments and your suggestion!

The Dalton Hotel and Suites, is exceptionally located in the heart of Victoria , is a heritage building from the 1800`s that has been updated, some rooms completely renovated and we will have more renovations in certain areas again this fall.

Yes, our exceptional downtown location, complimentary deluxe continental breakfasts and very affordable accommodation rates do attract most of our customers We offer standard rooms which are less expensive and have only been updated at this time and then our new Boutique Rooms & Suites which have been completely renovated . All of the Boutique Suites have brand new flat screen TV's! Our Boutique Rooms and Suites also have air-conditioning, brand new heritage style furniture and are quite spacious.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

The hotel was very nice and has an excellent location. the staff is really friendly and knowledgeable about the city. But, I do not recommend it for business travelers. The internet is very very very slow, at points impossible to use. As a business person I need to have acces to a reliable internet connection but the Dalton simply lack of it. I even had to go to a close by starbucks to be able to do some work. If they up the speed of the internet I would recommend it, but they definetly have to do something about it, it seems like they are just trying to save some bucks and offering a really bad internet. If they make it better I would definetly go back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
DaltonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dalton Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Hello and thank you for your great comments and positive feedback! Thank you so much! Although, we are sorry to hear that the internet was so terribly slow for you. As we are on a wireless system throughout the hotel, some rooms may have quicker access to the internet than others depending on the proximity of the modems to their room and also depending on the volume of traffic as well! We sincerely apologize you received a slow internet service during your stay. If you do choose to return to stay with us, please let the front desk know if you ever have any problems so they can take steps to remedy this problem for you. In this case, we would have liked to offer you a different room for your stay ( in the event this hadn’t been done) . The hotel manager will be informed of this issue and hopefully we can remedy this problem for any future stays!
peaceriver alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

my wife and i stayed at the dalton for four days in a standard room. we found the rooms very clean and comfortableand the staff very helpful and freindly.wealso knew it was a heritage hotel which has loads of caracter and charm. the breakfast is free and goes well beyond most continental breakfasts.check in was a hoot because expedia got my name wrong on their contact sheet but that was easily figured out and remedied. thats the loved part, now to the hate part the hotel parking lot is spaced for about ten to twelve cars the spaces are way too tight and they should loose about two to make wider stalls . i parked for four days and was bumper hit three times got some painting to do ob my bumper an door dings.i drive a mini van not something huge. but that being said the hotel was very nice and i would book againn

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank your for your review and all of your great comments! We really do appreciate it! We are very sorry and surprised to hear you were bumper hit three times in our parking lot! We have measured the lot spaces, and they are approximately 7 to 8 feet wide and 16 feet in length which seem to be fairly standard in size for some parking lots. Yes, they are suited best for small to medium sized vehicles in today’s standards, although it is large enough for one of our regular parkers in a Chevy One Ton Truck Yes, you are correct, there are only 12 hotel spots at the on-site hotel lot and then we use a very large overflow lot after these are taken. This will be brought to the General Manager’s attention in order for any future changes to be made! Please bring any issues or concerns to the Front Desk at the time of the problem, and they can perhaps help you find a larger spot for your vehicle, as some of the parking spots are larger than others ( especially the ones on the ends) or we can assign you a parking pass for the larger lot that has ample of parking stalls! We are very sorry again that this happened!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Upon arrival, I was greeted by a very friendly and professional reception staff.
I was also able to check into my room early which a bonus was given the amount of travel I did. I found the staff to be efficient, knowledgeable and courteous.
The room was clean, bright and quiet. Being downtown, I did not need a vehicle because it was a 10min walk to the Inner Harbour and 2 min to Starbucks.
Breakfast was a bonus, especially the waffles!! Dinner voucher at The Office restaurant was unexpected bonus!! Will definitely stay at the Dalton again!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
DaltonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dalton Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Thank you for the wonderful comments! The staff and management really do appreciate receiving all of your positive feedback! Thank you again so much!

Been to Dalton Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!