“Best Restaurant in a hotel EVER” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coast Victoria Harbourside Hotel & Marina

You added Coast Victoria Harbourside Hotel & Marina to your Saves list
Coast Victoria Harbourside Hotel & Marina
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   146 Kingston Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 1V4, Canada   |
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Moranbah, Australia
“Best Restaurant in a hotel EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel in May 2008. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, the rooms clean and lovely and the location was beautiful right on the harbour.

We had read in Trip Advisor that the seaplanes were a bit of an issue taking off in front of the hotel in the harbour, however whilst they were noisy with the door open it wasn't an issue with them closed and we actually enjoyed watching them (they only operate between 7am-5pm).

You can easily walk from the city to the hotel (approx 30 mins), however taxi's are easy to get and if we were in a hurry to get anywhere or needed to get to the seaplane to leave, the hotel staff were more than happy to give us a lift in the hotel car.

The restaurant....what can I say....amazing! We had heard about the king crab and I'm telling you now it was incredible (we had it again in Whistler and it was no where near cooked as well as here) Was a bit pricey but hey when you pay for taxi's into town for maybe a less spectacular meal and have the convenience of just getting into the lift to your room....it was well worth it.

You won't regret staying here.

• Liked — The location and views
  • Disliked — walking distance from the city
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

I stayed in a Superior Harbour View Room from June 7-10 and overall enjoyed my stay.

ROOM: The room was exactly as shown on their website and was clean. There was an empty mini-fridge next to the dresser which I used to store my beverages and snacks from the local market. My only complaint about the room would be that there was no comforter or duvet as is standard in most hotels, only thin sheets and in order to sleep comfortably I had to increase the temperature in the room and use the blanket provided in the closet.

LOCATION: It is a relaxing 10-minute walk along the harbour to the downtown area. The view along the way is beautiful. Anyone complaining of the hotel’s location is either really lazy or out-of-shape as anyone in general good health would find this a non-issue. Also, upon check-out the hotel provided me with a shuttle bus, free of charge, to the bus station.

RESTAURANT: I had been looking forward to eating at the hotel restaurant as it was designated as one of Victoria’s top seafood restaurants and previous reviews had spoken highly of it. The dinners I ate there I found to be slightly over-priced, and although the presentation of the dishes was great the food was flavourless and very bland. I was disappointed.

I appreciated the fact that on the lobby floor in a quiet corner there was a computer that guests could use free of charge.

Personally, I would not stay at this hotel again for the sole reason that I like to sleep in on vacation and the early morning noise from the constant water planes landing outside made sleeping in difficult.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to people but would advise to stay away from the restaurant as I feel it is over-hyped.

• Liked — The view from my room
  • Disliked — early morning noise from the sea planes outside
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

The Coast Hotel is a wonderful property in a good location. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The harborside rooms have wonderful views.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — A little far from city center
Newcastle, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

I am really impressed with this hotel. It didn't cost a fortune, and standards are very good.

The public areas and restaurant are presented very nicely, the room decor looked almost new, good quality, and large rooms with large windows.
Many overlook the harbour, but even the 'city view' had a sideways look over the water, and windows looking in 2 directions.

I booked an option which included breakfast, which was superb. Great choice of Canadian and continental things to choose from. We also had dinner in twice. One local man we met said the restuarant served the best seafood in Victoria.

Although not in the 'inner harbour' area, a water-taxi docks regularly between 9am and 9pm in the harbour in front of the hotel, which I'm told the hotel actually owns. The ride into downtown is really nice, and only takes about 10 mins.

A whale-watching tour operator has a office in the hotel itself, gift shop, and a pool area with hot-tub.

Unfortuantely, my reservation was messed-up somehow, and I was allocated a room with only 1 bed when travelling with my mum! Fortunately, I had the print-outs with me to prove I booked otherwise.
This meant we had to stay in 2 separate rooms for the first night, one was a 'stand-by' room which hadn't been cleaned... but I lived with it. We then had to move to a third room on the second night.
The reception agent was very polite and did her best, but I noticed that the manager on duty didn't actually apologize, and I felt they could have perhaps considered some kind of goodwill gesture... I paid the full price on checkout.

• Liked — Value, good standards
  • Disliked — Messed-up reservation and inconvenience
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

Great view of the harbour and the staff are very friendly. Couple of downfalls, imho, parkade gate is locked after 11PM and you need to walk back up to the counter to get someone to open the parkade gate. They say this is for security, but really they could give an entry code type device to open the gate automatically. Also the other thing that I had issue with was that you had to pay extra for wireless access. There are ALOT of less then reputable hotels that include wireless access, so I though a hotel of this caliber wireless should be part of the package. Especially @ 140/night.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

The hotel didn't look much from the outside and the rooms were very basic. I was surprised to find out the hotel has recently been refurbished as I've stayed in motels that have had nicer rooms! The place was fine but not up to the standards of a four star hotel so only stay here if you get a good deal. Also the sea planes start early in the morning, so don't stay here if you want a lie in.

On the plus side, the restaurant was amazing (although pricey) and the location by the water was nice.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

Finally, a hotel with rooms that actually look the beautiful photos!

I really don’t know what to say except you can expect exactly what you see on their website and the location is fantastic. Quiet residential area with beautiful views of the harbor, yet only a 5 minute stroll along a seaside boardwalk to the Empress Hotel.

On top of this, the service was terrific. We were staying for 6 nights but were only charged for parking for half of our stay J Also, the front desk staff were always cheerful and happy to help when we had questions prior to departing for the day.

It was a lovely place to spend our holiday and I would definitely stay here again the next time I visit Victoria.

• Liked — The quaility of the room and service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Coast Victoria Harbourside Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!