“Comfortable and Convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites

You added Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   740 Burdett Ave | BC, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1B2, Canada   |
Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Toronto, Canada
“Comfortable and Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 4 nights during the July long weekend. It was clean and staff was friendly and quite helpful with restaurant and sightseeing suggestion. Short walking distance to the harbor front , shopping and restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
mpaul1202, Director of Sales at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
I'm glad to hear your long weekend in Victoria was enjoyable. Its a busy place on long weekends with a kind of carnival atmosphere. I sure hope you can return to the west soon.
Regards,
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the Chateau Victoria and was so pleased that the location was walking distance to all the sites and places I wanted to visit. The staff were extremely helpful from check-in to check out and my room was very nicely decorated and the little kitchen area was just perfect for our stay. Would recommend highly and will be back!

Shelley
Vancouver

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
mpaul1202, Director of Sales at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Shelley,
I am not sure how we missed your review but I wanted to thank you for it. Very concise which tends to get read. We sure hope you can return soon.
Regards,
Knutsford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Booked in to this hotel because of the roll in accessible shower. Not only did it not exist the grab rails made the so called accessible bathroom not fit for purpose, badly designed and I consider possibly dangerous for a disabled person to use.

Hotel staff great and very helpful but if you are disabled look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go as high as possible to avoid street noise in this city centre location. Food good quality and pr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
mpaul1202, Director of Sales at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear THELobmeister,
I am sorry to hear of your challenges with accessibility at our hotel. I would really like to know where you learned about our hotel's accessible shower. You are correct in stating no rooms have roll in showers. We take great strides in giving accurate information about our hotel and accessibility is one we still need to work on. Access Canada rates us as level 1 which offers the basic needs so we have a way to go for true mobility. I will try and contact you directly to see where that information is so we can correct it. Again, my apologies for the incorrect information.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend and was very pleased with the facility. The hotel was clean, comfortable, the staff were extremely helpful, and the location was great. The bed was comfortable, and the view was spectacular. My only complaint is the upstairs restaurant. It's great for breakfast, however the dinner menu is awful. It's over priced and is trying to brand itself as fine dining cuisine, but doesn't have the chef to back that up. This alone, however, is definitely not a reason to stay away from this hotel. There are TONS of amazing restaurants within walking distance. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to a friend or colleague.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I am glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel but I would like to know more about your dining experience in Vista 18. Our chef generally gets great reviews so I want to look into the specific night you dined to learn what might have been going on then. We strive to deliver a great meal every time so if there is inconsistencies we would like to correct it. Perhaps you could email me the night you dined in Vista 18 and what you felt was missing from the menu. My email is mpaul@chateauvictoria.com.
We look forward to your return and hopefully turning your dinner experience around.
Petersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had a wonderful early June weekend in Victoria, staying at the Chateau Victoria, and were fortunate to have some hot sunny weather throughout (much better than the cool damp conditions on our last visit to the city three years ago). The hotel location is a really easy stroll from Victoria's waterfront and the main shopping street and was easy to find on arrival. Check-in was smooth and friendly and we were given a very generous upgrade from the "new traditional" room we'd booked on the hotel's website, to a large 1-bedroom suite on a higher floor. This suite had 2 queen beds in separate rooms, a kitchenette and a seating area with balcony, plus a good sized bathroom.

The hotel's parking at first appears limited, but I then discovered that there is plentiful additional off-road parking available in other car parks a very short distance further up the hill from the main entrance. This set-up is probably obvious to others, but it took me several minutes to figure this out and extracate my large hire car from the jam-packed main car park next to the entrance. We had complementary parking included in our rate, which was very handy and you can park immediately outside the hotel reception to load and unload luggage.

Due to the unusually warm weather our room was rather warm when we returned after a day's sightseeing, but the free-standing A/C in the bedroom of our suite was effective (though a little noisy). The room where the other bed was located (which we did not use) did not have the benefit of the A/C and would have possibly been a little prone to exterior noise (nearby pub with rooftop bar) had the balcony door been left open.

We had breakfast both mornings in the Vista 18 restaurant at the top of the hotel (hint - there are free coffee coupons available from the front desk!). Fabulous views on all sides, and delicious food. We also had dinner here on the Saturday night (advance reservations essential) - again great views and atmosphere, but the fish we had was a little disappointing.

All the hotel and restaurant staff we dealt with were friendly and attentive, and it's clear why this family-run hotel deserves it's good reputation. We'd definitely consider staying here again should we return to this part of the world.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
It looks like Victoria put on a good show for you, especially in the weather department. I am glad you enjoyed our facilities and will certainly pass on all good and critical points to all involved. We certainly hope Victoria is on your list to return to one day.
Kind Regards,
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Although the building is far from new, the lobby is recently updated and gorgeous as is the lounge (horribly slow service there, though). Our suite was fine but in need of some upgrading, particularly the furniture. The master bedroom bed was heaven but the mattress in the smaller room was not! The restaurant, Vista 18, needs work. I am a Celiac and was not certain that my gluten-free needs were well understood and the food was very average, at best. Can't beat the location - quiet and close to everywhere you want to be in downtown Victoria

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I will certainly pass on your comments to both the bar and the restaurant. Classic Cocktails do take more time as every ingredient is fresh and drinks made one at a time but it sounds like we could have been faster in your case. The Vista 18 kitchen generally is noted for handling food allergies and preferences well so I will certainly look into this to see if we need some training from the service end. Thank you again.
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Their wireless connects great but you can't even load a whole web page. As a business traveller I expect to be able to at least send email. For two days I have had issues and talked to staff who can't do anything because the hotel is full and lots of people using internet. ... that's not good enough!

If you are on a personal trip and don't need internet then it's good value as my room has a full kitchen. This is a fully furnished suite.

I talked to a co-op worker about the cv hotel and she had the same issue several months ago. I can put up with the musty smell but no internet is not acceptable for business. We have hundreds of staff and corporately were not using this hotel anymore...

• Stayed June 2013
mpaul1202, Director of Sales at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear DonnyBratsco,
I will try and contact you directly to learn more about your recent experience, especially with internet. We used the same company to duplicate the internet service offered by a national hotel in town and believe it is among the best in town. Most comments are positive about its speed and I apologize that you did have that experience. Again, I will try and connect with you off line to learn what we can do to get you back.

Been to Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!