“Get over it.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   642 Johnson Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1M6, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Rockville, Maryland
“Get over it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It would seem that every time I wind up in Victoria, it's pouring rain. On this particular day, I pulled up in front of the Carlton Plaza and was ready to drive away. This is a former warehouse district, and curb appeal is not great in this part of town. Add to that traffic noise and lack of parking, and I could understand why anyone would drive away from this neighborhood.without even checking in.

Since I was a day late checking in -- delayed by a canceled flight -- I was afraid my reservation had been canceled. Instead, I was treated to an upgrade from a room to a studio suite. I managed to get my luggage upstairs and found my room in the dark, poorly lighted corridor. At that point, everything began to fall into place. The room was a good one -- it was clean and well heated. There was a kitchenette, and the bathroom had been recently been refitted.

Parking issues turned out to not be an issues at all. A phone call to the desk, and my rental car was at the front door by the time I reached to lobby (I have no idea where the hotel parks them). The clerks at the front desk were unfailing pleasant at all hours.

I would tell anyone who draws conclusions on a hotel property at first sight to get over it. The quality of this place is on the inside -- not the outside.

Room Tip: The quietest room face north and away from the street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Ryan J, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you to the author for not driving away from our little diamond in the rough. While our hotel doesn’t look like much from the outside, when you first step through our front doors you will be pleasantly surprised. Our bell staff will help you with any bags you may have and then park your car away until you need it next. Our front desk staff will get you checked in quickly and then guide you anywhere you may want to visit or eat while in Victoria. Our front desk is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All our staff prides themselves on the level of service we give here at the Carlton Plaza.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Hebrew first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Recently stayed there for a short honeymoon. We brought our dog and it was an awesome experience for him and us. Staff were all courteous and helpful. The room size was clean and a good size. The bed was really comfortable! The location was perfect too. Its not easy to find a nice hotel that will accommodate your pet and we felt quite fortunate. Thanks you Best Western Victoria.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you to the author of this review and congratulations on your wedding. Here at the Carlton Plaza, we are a pet friendly hotel. We have 2 designated floors for our furry friends and, for an additional fee of $10 per night you can bring Rover with you on your next family getaway.
Lake Chapala area, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We visit Victoria every year to visit family and always prefer to stay at the Best Western Carlton Plaza. Room is lovely, well appointed and very quiet. As an example of service, they advertise "pet friendly" rooms, so I always ask and get a room on a non-pet floor without any hassle. Location is perfect for exploring & enjoying downtown area. Parking is expensive, so we usually avoid a car and still have no cab or bus issues because of central location.
Would recommend it highly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Brian, we’re glad that you and your family enjoy staying with us whenever you’re in Victoria. As Brian mentioned we are very centrally located in downtown Victoria. All the major attractions our city has to offer (except Butchart Gardens) are a short walk from our front doors.
Campbell River, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

First time at this hotel. What a pleasure. Very relaxed stay, clean, comfortable, affordable. We really appreciated the friendly polite service that was extended to all of us by all of the staff. We found them to be very genuine and helpfull. Also enjoyed the valet parking that was very convenient. We had such a great time we are repeating the stay next year. Outstanding pre-holiday family trip, Something just around the corner for eveyone to enjoy and do. Thanks again, we'll be back. The Doyles

Room Tip: The suites are great as there is a private bedroom and lots of room in the main area
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you Charlotte: for this lovely review. We do offer a parking service here at the hotel for a nominal fee. With a short times notice our valet drivers will have your car brought around the front of the building and waiting for you to go out and enjoy the sites of our beautiful island. We eagerly await the next time you and your family will join us.
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

As a University of Victoria alumnus, I visit Victoria regularly--at least twice a year--to visit old friends and to renew my old school ties. In the past couple of years, I've discovered another reason to keep coming back: the Best Western Carlton Plaza Hotel.

There are so many reasons to enjoy staying at this hotel. As many reviewers have noted (including myself, in a previous review), the rates and location are optimal. It's hard to believe that one can stay in downtown Victoria (a typically pricey tourist destination) for such a reasonable amount. I usually take a room at the BW Carlton Plaza in late November, after the peak of the tourist season, and I have been delighted to pay no more than $100 for a spacious room.

For me, part of the value also comes from staying in a character hotel. This is not one of the numerous cookie-cutter box-hotels that one can find beside the highway in any given North American city. Instead, this is an older downtown hotel with a slightly-European feel to it. Thanks to the careful renovations of the management, it has retained its charm and its uniqueness. (This may mean riding in a smaller and slower elevator, but that's something I'm willing to put up with.)

But the REAL value of this hotel comes from the staff, who are welcoming, courteous, and eager to please their guests. On a previous visit, I was given Room 701: a corner suite overlooking the corner of Douglas and Johnson Streets. On my latest visit, I made an advance request for the same room, if it was available. After a delayed flight that got me into Victoria at 2 a.m., I was heartened by a friendly welcome from Perry, the night clerk--and I was delighted to find that I'd been given Room 701, as per my request! The day staff were equally helpful, providing me with an umbrella (for Victoria's trademark rain) and with alternative internet access (after the lobby's main computer was down for repair).

I'm planning my next trip to Victoria for this coming February, and there is no doubt as to where I will stay. My special thanks to Manager Royce Pritchard, and to the desk staff and housekeepers, for their fine service and hospitality!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a great view of the city at night. If you have a room on the Johnson Street side...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you to the author, for your second great review of our hotel. As the author mentioned we are an older hotel, the building was originally built in 1912; we are continually updating our rooms to meet the ever changing expectations and needs of our guests. Our entire staff here at the Carlton Plaza strive to make each guests stay as enjoyable as possible. While we can never guarantee which room number a guest will be in until they arrive, we will gladly accept requests and will try to accommodate said requests to the best of our abilities. Thank you again for this wonderful review and we look forward to your next visit.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We moved away from Victoria after 35 years in 2009. Since then we have returned 4 times with each stay at this hotel. The location is just right, Walking distance to the Inner Harbour,Empress Hotel, Government Street and numerous bars,pubs and restaurants. This hotel is remarkably quiet for being right in the centre of downtown. There is a kitchenette and couches which makes entertaining very easy. The rooms are very clean and well attended. I personally believe the staff here are as good as anywhere you go. They are friendly,attentive and go out of the way to assist in any manner. The times we have been there I do believe the parking/valet service was complimentary.It looks like this may have changed since last time we were there. This is a top hotel with excellent prices and is in an ideal location to see Victoria.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan J, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you Bob; for taking the time to write this review of our hotel. As mentioned a short walk from our hotel will take you to the inner harbour and the beautiful sites of downtown Victoria. All of our Studio Suites come complete with a full kitchen and seating area. Our housekeeping staff works very hard every day to ensure the strictest of cleanliness standards are upheld in each of our rooms. All of our staff here at the hotel prides themselves on the level of service we provide to all our guests. Being a downtown hotel we do charge a nominal fee for parking, which includes having your car parked by our Valet and promptly brought around to the front of the hotel with 15 minutes notice.
Fort Langley, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We often alternate staying here and the other BW Hotel (inner harbour) in Victoria, depending on the time of year, why we are coming (business, pleasure, or both), and what the price is for the room at that time of year, as it changes from season to season. This time we were in for a little business, a little Christmas shopping, and some family/friends visiting. Checkin was easy.

We stayed in the room with a separate bedroom, 2 queen beds and a pullout. For 5 or 6 people, this is the best value if you are staying for a couple of days. The view from our window wasn't pretty (back alley), but that wasn't why we came, so it wasn't a big deal. Everything we expected was there--wifi (big deal if you have internet starved kids with smartphones), a kitchen microwave, stove, fridge & cutlery, a desk to work from, multiple outlets to charge every electronic device under the planet, an in-room safe, & 2 TV's so the kids can watch something different from the adults. All in all, it provides enough room & space for a family of 5 to spread out for a few days without tripping over each other. There aren't a lot of 5 person rooms in downtown Victoria at this price--and if you do, you usually end up with a smaller room.

Service was quick & friendly. We asked for extra towels and they were up to deliver it in under 5 minutes. There is valet service for our car (not optional, but very handy)--you just have to call down 15 minutes before you need it. There was an extra charge for the valet service, but it was cheaper than putting it into a parking lot myself, and I didn't have to go retrieve it every day; it's actually very nice to have your car waiting for you out front every time you want to go out!

This place is great if you have teenage or older kids in tow that love to window shop downtown, especially if you're willing to let them explore on their own. As soon as you step out of the hotel, you don't have to go far to get to the local downtown mall, Bastion square, movie theatres, Government street shops (including the largest Christmas Store in Western Canada), Chinatown--they're all within 10 min of walking distance. There's also an eclectic assortment of knick knack stores, pawn shops, new & used book stores and novelty/comic shops in the area. Our adult kids LOVE staying here because of the selection of stores they can shop, and the fact that we don't have to get into the car, drive & park to get to it--it's right outside the hotel doors. We can shop as long as we want, and simply go back to the hotel room for a rest if you want to. LOCATION,LOCATION,LOCATION--this place has it.

If you were wanting a quiet romantic walk for two along the waterfront with moderate seclusion and privacy, go to their other Hotel, BW Inner Harbour. But if you want a little of everything and want a place to put up your feet at a reasonable price, come HERE.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side face away from the street, but the windows are closed anyway, so you can'...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I’d like to thank the author for this excellent review of our hotel. The room being described is our Family Suite with 2 Queen Beds. All of our suites offer all the comforts of home with a full kitchen, sitting area with pull out couch and 37in flat screen TV. We offer complimentary WIFI in every room as well as complimentary water to keep you hydrated while walking around our lovely city.
As the author mentioned we are in the heart of downtown so we do have a very urban view of our surrounding area. We are a few minutes walk from all the tourist shops and major attractions that Victoria has to offer.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!