“Not impressed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bistro 28 - CLOSED

Bistro 28
2583 Cadboro Bay Rd | Oak Bay, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (Downtown)
(250) 598-2828
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
“Not impressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Been there, done that and won't do it again!!! My girlfriend and I went there for our once a month get together, after I had read the reviews. It must have been a bad day.............the waiter was not friendly and my food presentation was awful. The hamburger which sounded good was between two large hard pieces of toast, and far too many frites (which was just ordinary fries) My friend had the crab cakes, very small salad and two hard pieces of dry toast. It was far too much money for what we got.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Always our go-to spot in Victoria...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Victoria has a high number of restaurants - some people say we have the second highest number per capita in North America after San Francisco - so it is fair to say that we have many choices when it comes to finding a spot to eat in this city. Why then do we always seem to go back to Bistro 28? This restaurant ticks all of our boxes, that's why! The service is professional and thoughtful - our preferences are always remembered. The food is locally sourced, the menu changes seasonally and the dishes are prepared perfectly and consistently. We also love that the portions are a little smaller than so many restaurants. This allows us to easily enjoy 3 courses at dinner. The wine list is excellent and not pretentious. The evening pasta special is not to be missed - it has been fantastic each time we have ordered it. The 'frites' are by far the best in Victoria and frequently better than any we have encountered in our travels. The housemade ketchup is yummy! After dining at Bistro 28 over 30 times now we have yet to be disappointed. Always our go-to spot in a city full of good restaurants...

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver Island
“What a great find while shopping for meat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011 via mobile

We have been taking the trip to the Oak Bay area for quite some time in order to buy excellent meat from Slaters but never tried this little Bistro before. Though we were only there for lunch the place was excellent in every way. Great food, friendly service at a reasonable price. Don't miss the red pepper ketchup with the frites!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver
“Unexpectedly amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

First of all, we were being taken to a little restaurant that was on the end of a strip mall. What good can come of that??
Well, I guess if this little strip of shops included a high-end butcher and a wine merchant, and was across the street from a great bakery, I suppose that paints a more accurate picture. And this was in the 'classy' Oak Bay suburb of Victoria.
Bistro 28 now rests in my top 10 list of best global restaurants - and here it is tucked away in Victoria! The menu is innovative, and from my few visits I see that it changes around the seasons and the locally sourced options. The atmosphere is laid back, but the service was responsive. How did they manage to balance that?
I would heartily recommend Bistro 28. It's perfect for occasions or just for a delicious, well-deserved night out. The menu would be European fusion? I'm not sure what classification it falls in, but the food is amazing. With everything from the welcoming chips (cooked in duck fat or oil... this is not a low-cal night) to the breads and ice cream, are all made in-house. Warning: expect to drool everytime you think/write about this place in the future. Trust me. It's really happening...excess siliva while typing. But even with that side-effect, I can hardly wait to return!

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Victoria, Canada
“worst food and service we have ever encountered in victoria”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

lived here all my life and have never eaten a meal that was so awful.server rude.no wonder there were only 2 other diners. we have friends who come from all over the worldf and we will advise them not to ever dine at Bistro 28.

• Visited August 2011