“I would stay again” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grand Pacific

Save Saved
You added Hotel Grand Pacific to your Saves list
Hotel Grand Pacific
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   463 Belleville Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 1X3, Canada   |
Ranked #13 of 57 hotels in Victoria
Seattle
“I would stay again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2007

I stayed at the Hotel Grand Pacific for one night in early May, whilst in Victoria on business. The hotel is located directly across the street from the Inner Harbour, a two minute walk to the Victoria Clipper terminal, and 5 minutes at the most from the helicopter terminal at Odgen Point or Seaplane terminals on the Inner Harbour. I found the staff to be courteous and efficient. Having formerly been in hotel management, the first thing I look at when entering a hotel (both the lobby and the room) is cleanliness. Both measured up here. My room had a view out to the West (directly at the Days Inn located next door), and plenty of natural sunlight. The one complaint that I do have is with the complimentary high-speed internet access. It worked just fine the afternoon of my arrival, but was not working when I returned from Dinner that evening. When I called the front desk to inquire, I was told that "you must not have connected your computer properly, or your settings need to be changed". I assured the young lady that I knew how to plug in an Ethernet cable, and that my settings were correct. She continued to insist that the problem was on my end, and offered to send up a bellman to check and see that I knew what I was doing. No thanks. I gave up for almost three hours, but really needed access to my email, so I tried again later in the evening. Again no luck. I called the front desk again, and this time was informed that indeed their system was "down", but that their Tech would have it back up and running in "half an hour". 90 minutes later (1:00am) when it STILL wasn't working, I gave up. Needless to say, I wsn't able to complete some important work-related messaging. Aside from this nonsense, my stay was acceptable. I didn't try the hotel's restaurant or bar, as they seemed over-priced. There are PLENTY of other fine establishments in Victoria.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Poor internet service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

979 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

I've stayed at other Hotels in Victoria in the past. I thought I would give this one a try and was very dissappointed in the size of the guest room and the front desk service. They charge for everything including borrowing a internet cable which even some Motels I've stayed at wouldn't do.

The restaurant and its staff were wonderful. And the location is great, however there are many other hotels in the same great location.

• Liked — Location and Restaurant
  • Disliked — Hotel Room Size and Front Desk Service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

We booked the Grand Pacific as a departure from our regular Victoria haunts. The Grand Pacific offered great service, but found the property...OK.
We emailed the hotel with reservation queries and had no issues. Check-in at the hotel was delayed (to be fair we arrived mid-afternoon) and our room wasn't ready. We left our baggage with the doormen and were promptly provided with umbrellas to explore rainy Victoria. Upon return to the hotel, the front desk staff beckoned me by my last name and were acquainted with our particular needs..we're off to a good start. Staff were consistently friendly and professional, the health club was well maintained by excellent staff. We liked the Gilcrest and Soames bathroom amenties. Towels were amply supplied and were good quality. Two sinks (one being outside the bathroom door) proved to be beneficial. However, our particular bathtub lacked chaulking (making it look cheap and mouldy), the tub was dated and somewhat dimished the sense of a quality establishment. The rest of the furnishing lacked anything special and we really didn't like the plastic chairs on our tiny corner balcony. We kept the curtains drawn as our neighbours on the left wing can easily view into the room. Tons of middle school kids were staying at the hotel our particular visit. I was advised they was staying on a different floor and we would not have to endure any disturbance from them. Other than an occassional yelp from a balcony below, we didn't hear much from them.
We're not in a hurry to go back...except for a shot of great and consistent customer service.

• Liked — Great service
  • Disliked — Boring room, ugly bathroom, cramped bathcony, no privacy on balcony
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2007

We stayed at the Grand Pacific last fall while I was on business. The location can't be beat.. it's next to all the museums and near all the action. I found the room was small (it had two queen size beds) and a small bathroom and balcony. For the price, I expected a nicer TV. Yes, it was clean, but remember what you're paying for-this is a luxury hotel. The staff was pretty courteous, for the most part. I found the bar and restaurant downstairs unnecessarily expensive-ate their once, went somewhere else. The walls are PAPER thin. I was awaken by the couple next door at 2am. Next day, the staff didn't really know what to say to that.. a small discount would have been nice. Not staying here in April 2007 - which is my next planned visit to beautiful Victoria.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Costly food, noise levels
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2007

My fiancee and I visited Victoria recently for a weekend. We took the Victoria Clipper from Seattle to Victoria, which was a crowded but pretty good experience. When we arrived in Victoria we had about a 45 minute wait in Customs. My fiancee called the Hotel Grand Pacific to let them know we had arrived about an hour and a half earlier than the guarenteed check in time (3:00) to see if they had a room ready. The woman he spoke to was friendly and said our room was clean and ready and they could check us in when they arrived. When we arrived we waited in line for about ten minutes while others were checked in. When we got to the desk a woman began the check in process and informed us that our room was not ready. My finacee explained that he had spoken to another woman 45 minutes earlier and she had said it was ready. She never appologized but rather smirked and said, quite rudly, that the other woman didn't know what she was talking about and we would have to wait. We decided to go for lunch and they did hold our bags so we would not have to lug them around downtown Victoria. We were called about an hour later to come back to check in. Upon check in no one even offered to help with our bags. We also felt the first check in process was handled unprofessionally. We understood that early check in is not guarenteed but felt the front desk woman could have apologized for being misinformed or at least been sympathetic. However, she was condescending and blamed her co-worker for the problem. Our room was small, but very nice and the bed was comfortable. We wanted to leave the Hotel for dinner and the night bellboy, was extremely helpful in reccomending local bars and nightclubs. We went to Lucciano's for dinner and thought the ambiance, waitress, food, and drinks were amazing. They serve funky Italian dishes and have great Bellini's. We also really liked Milestone's for brunch and Irish times for lunch. The Hotel Grand Pacific's food choices were less than great. Everything closes by midnight so don't count on late night drinks. The continental breakfast is $14 dollars and doesn't even include creamcheese for the bagel--that costs an extra $2. For that price we had a huge breakfast and mimosas at Milestone's which is right on the water. The coffee bar is overpriced as well. Starbucks was cheaper and I saw at least three within walking distance. You can walk pretty much everywhere from this hotel; it is super close to the ferry and to the downtown area with the shopping and food. We had a great time on our trip but probably wouldn't stay at the Hotel Grand Pacific again--it was just an average experience.

• Liked — The location, the bed
  • Disliked — The customer service, the food/drink choices
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Everett, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2006

Thre women, five days, a 50th Birthday........Middle of July.
We actually started in Seattle & stayed at the Crowne Plaza one night, took in a Mariners game, then caught the Victoria Clipper. Hint: If you can't tolerate perfume and enclosed space combined with wave action, don't take the Clipper. Very nauseating, and the staff sprays any and all fragrances. Yuk. But, the up side is that it is really inexpensive and the liquor prices are dirt cheap compared to U.S. so load up. Long wait times & lines, so arrive early to get through customs and get a seat together with your party, otherwise you may not find seats together.
The Clipper docks about a block from the hotel, and a very easy walk even with baggage. We asked for an upgrade to a harbor view room, and got it for $30.00 more per night. What a bargain! Spectacular view of the harbor, Empress, Parliment buildings and the city. The hotel is directly across the street from the double decker bus tours, and I'd recommend the one that stops in China town, the castle and a few other places. The Under Sea Garden is also across the street, and Parliment Buildings and Museum all well within walking distance. A bit more of a trek to downtown but very easy when so much is in store. There is a lovely English tea room/breakfast place in the neighborhood for breakfast, a short walk will get you fresh jam & melt in your mouth scones.
The hotel was terrific. The beds were so comfy, pillows nice and everything smelled really fresh. Ammenities were upscale and always replenished and then some. Nice size for three gals in one room, and double sliding glass doors onto the balcony that easily seats 4 people. Grab a bottle of wine, and enjoy the lights of the city at night. Good restaurant food, and the outdoor seating by the waterfall was wonderful on a hot summer day. The pool area is clean, not crowded and long enough for a good swim. There is a lap side and a goofing around side. Good light from the glass roof and it did not have that "pool" smell. There is a bank of sorts by the little snack bar /deli/coffee bar that will exchange money.
I had a most rejuvinating facial, and my sister had refreshed footsies after her pedicure. It was a great trip and I would stay at this hotel again anytime. Watch the rates on all of the sites as they have a tendency to change alot. Shop around for the best deals and packages.

• Liked — The bed was comfortable-soft!
  • Disliked — A bit pricey
  • Tips/Secrets — Get in good walking shape!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fleming Island, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2006

Hotel Grand Pacific aspires to be a grand hotel...and charges accordingly...but it does not made the grade. The suite was large but gloomy...lights were dim, furniture was outdated and depressing. We paid for the harbour view but only had one window...in the living room...the bedroom had no window. And after being out all day we returned at 4pm and the room was still not serviced...eventually housekeeping came at about 5pm. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was expensive and tasteless. On the plus side...very convenient location, great for walking downtown and access to the ferry. We loved Vicoria and will return again...just not to the Grand Pacific.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — gloomy rooms
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Grand Pacific? Share your experiences!